1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

More CC News

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by AnonymousLucie, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

During a live game???? Even though I wasn't there, the article is pretty direct as to what the video tapper was doing, surely even you can pick up that the sole intent of this camerman was to steal signals "during a game" using an electronic device.. How do you justify that???

2. cheeze105

But. . . . .

now, I'm not doubting a thing you say, but then explain the hand signals which were either directed to third or the batter during the game?? that is of course if the article is true.

3. cheeze105

It's not an impossible task, i have batters taking signals from a runner on second, looking over the pitchers head and 30' up for a second is not an impossible thing to do, with plenty of time to get ready for the pitcher. if you trained them that way, it would work, but i'm not saying that cc did, but it is practical and possible. Lets go further, if this is being done to gain a slight advantage, is it worth the possible cost to your players??? you know, loss of all wins and not allowed to enter the state playoffs?? that is the penality i'm told. Oh, and on a personal note, I find it hard to believe that you analize a batter's form from 200 feet away + 30' up. but that's just my opinion.

4. cheeze105

bet your wrong

every kid i know in softball tries to read the catcher or look in the dugout to steal a signal. but before you get off the subject, remember we're talking about using an electronic device during a game to read the catchers calls - as stated in the article. Now be careful, in 200+ posts and 3 years on tbr, I've never said anything bad about cc, and from what i read, cc has more against than for. I am neither. I'm trying to discuss an article with you in a civil manner, without throwing insults. (and you know i'm really good at that)

5. cheeze105

your reading more than what is said

I clearly stated: "IF YOU TRAINED THEM THAT WAY". I didnt say that your players WERE trained that way or that you were training them that way. you stated that it was improbable to take signals and i countered with the statement that it could be done. (article makes it look believeable doesnt it) but hey, I didnt say you did it, now did I ????? son, I wish you wouldn't have deleted you comments, it was a good discussion. I know you're proud of cc and their program, and you dont need to get upset because someone questions an article published about your school program. remember, not everyone believes everything written.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  6. CCHSvikefan81

CCHSvikefan81 Full Access Member

I am not upset, and no hard feelings with anyone, i just dont think i need to be involved in that discussion

7. titan

titan Junior Member

I was there and witnessed the whole thing and I have seen the tape. The parent that filmed it was standing against the fence on the third base side just a few feet from Sherrill. The tape has perfect sound and you can clearly hear him yelling out his batters by number and in order,the numbers do not match the Hopewell roster. It was filmed while they were batting not while they were in the field, so it was not for pitching purposes. The coach stood there and did nothing while they were on the field, only when they were batting. They were able to get the signals to the batters quick enough and when they didn't the batters would put their hand up and step out of the box, look and get the signal and step back in. They had been very well instruted on what to do. Picking up signals from the dugout is a common practice but deliberately staging an elaborate set-up like that is just wrong and illegal. If he was just filming it could have been done from anywhere on the side or behide the backstop. In fact, the game before, the lift was located behind the backstop, it was moved for the Hopewell game. The bottom line is that it's just wrong to teach teen-age kids that it's OK to cheat to win. He deserves whatever he gets and it's really sad that those hard-working girls may have to suffer the consiquences. If that team gets some kind of penalty, those kids and parents should be outraged.

8. rangeroo22

rangeroo22 Full Access Member

Simply Amazing!

I agree. I dont think there was anything "high tech" about the whole affair as some have mentioned though. Just "high stupid":agreed:

9. cheeze105

excellent response rangeroo, so much to risk for so little gained. thanks titan for the game description, not being there, I had some doubt as to the article, but you've cleared that up. Titan, if we film our kids, its from the side or back, with a borrowed camera, on a stand and unattended, like most teams i've been involved with. $12k for a standard lift, wish we had that kind of money, heck, we're not even allowed to collect money to watch the game. lol
    :banginghe

10. fence

fence Full Access Member

cc

why should the kids and parents be outraged?
    if proven true
    they are just as involved for allowing it to happen

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.