1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Most Important Post Ever on TBR

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Sometimes we get upset at things that are really not important. When I find myself in that situation, I try to keep ECU78's post in mind. It's a powerful post that puts everything in perspective. I hope our members that have not read this post take the time to let it soak in--imo, it's the most important post ever on TBR.

Originally Posted by ecu78

After visiting this site for awhile, I saw this thread and just had to add my special memory. My son liked to play baseball but was never great at it. He wasn't talented enough to play high school ball but he played summer ball whether it was Little League or Babe Ruth, He never made any all star teams or such. He was just good enough to start. Most of all, he liked to play Babe Ruth ball with his friends. The boys just had a good time even though success was hard to find. During a Senior Babe Ruth game one night, my son was playing first and a fly ball was hit behind first into short right field. He turned and hustled to make an over the head catch that Willie Mays would have been proud of. I just stood there not believing what I just saw. I was in awe. Before I could make my way out of the dugout (I was on scorebook duty) to congratulate him, he had already returned the ball to the pitcher and was in stance for the next defensive play. With the next pitch, a ball was hit to second and he dropped a perfect throw at first. I told him when he came in how pretty the fly ball catch was and then asked him what happened on the throw from second. I can remember how fast his smile changed into a lowered head. To this day, I regret not making a bigger deal out of the great catch. And now I can't. My son was killed almost two years ago, months after making that catch. I responded to this thread so I could tell the dads out there to make sure you appreciate the memories you have and ones to come. Make sure your son has a smile on his face after the game. More importantly, make sure you do to. Always be positive and somehow forget the "bad". Believe me, winning or losing a baseball game just isn't that important anymore. I would give anything to see that smile again.

2. Coach Knight

Coach Knight Full Access Member

Wow. That really puts it all in perspective, doesn't it? Parents get some involved at times that they don't take time to enjoy the moment. Thanks for this post. Coach Knight, Vikings Baseball

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

After a tough game, your son is looking for that one person he can count on to put their arms around him and tell him "it's alright..it's just a game." Sometimes we forget that.

4. nextlevel5

nextlevel5 Full Access Member

Hi Braves, its been awhile. Guys one thing I can you about watching your child do anything is just turn around and they are grown and off on their. Braves and I know. You will remember that last time they step on that field forever!!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  5. weyco2000

weyco2000 Full Access Member

Great post, baseball is like life... full of ups and downs. I remember last season my son had 2 errors in a big game, which we lost. After the game, I came down pretty hard on him but luckily I had the chance to sit down with him and apoligize for my reaction. It had such an impact on him, he used it as the subject in his admission essay to UNC. Thanks again for the "sticky" Braves, a sad but important reminder to parents for the upcoming season.

6. baseballx3

baseballx3 Full Access Member

It has been printed and on my desk for 3 years! Reminds me daily and it has continued to have a very powerful impact on my relationship with all my kids

7. LOLLIE

LOLLIE Full Access Member

I really needed that, thanks.

8. WB22

WB22 Full Access Member

Great reminder as another season starts.

9. PGame

PGame Junior Member

I don't spend much time on this great site, but I'm sure glad I read that post. What a powerful message. There are many things that are so much more important than baseball.

10. drncvol

drncvol Full Access Member

As a father of two boys that I enjoyed watching playing the game of baseball from t-ball through high school ball for Greenville Rose, this posts gets to me every time I read it.