1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Moving HS Softball to Fall

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Dukedog4, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

After watching the 18U showcase circuit for the last three years I'm more convinced than ever that NC needs to move HS Softball to fall. I know the objection is that players will need to choose between Volleyball and softball but this problem exists in the spring with soccer. Our team played a number of GA teams this summer and only lost to one but when I look at where these GA kids are getting signed its obvious the college coaches perceive these programs as superior. In Raleigh this weekend our team faced the Salinas- bound GA Fire Gold. They tossed three pitchers in the game who are bound for USC, UNC and GT respectfully. Final score 6-1 NC girls. Now I know anything can happen in a single game and I'm don't mean to disparage the Fire in anyway. They're a fine organization with excellent players. I simply feel that the college coaches prefer the GA model. Coaches can actually see some HS games, but, more importantly, the spring is free to get ready for the showcase ball. NC teams go to Lexington each June having played one or two weekends while the GA girls have played 20-30 games! Also, the weather is certainly nicer in Sept/Oct then Feb/April, especially in the West!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2005
  2. coach81

coach81 Junior Member

I would love to see softball and volleyball simply switch seasons. It doesn't matter if it has snowed 4 inches and it's 15 degrees outside in February if you are playing volleyball, but it really makes it hard to practice softball. I just don't get what the big deal is about switching volleyball to the spring and softball to the fall!!

3. teanwsnc

teanwsnc Full Access Member

Just to play Devil's Advocate on this issue. One of the reasons given for softball in the Fall is so college coaches are better able to see recruits. Well the same is true in the Spring for Volleyball. Most of the college coaches recruit at the JO Volleyball tournaments which take place Jan. thru April or May. Those girls who play both sports would still have to make a choice as to which sport to play in the Spring or the Fall.:twocents:

4. Dukedog4

Gym Space

If volleyball were moved it would need to be after basketball ended because of gym space. I doubt that will occur.

5. coach81

coach81 Junior Member

I am more concerned about the high school season than the needs of college coaches, because such a small percentage of high school athletes go on to play on the college level. As far as gym space, with schools starting later this year, the school year will be longer and would allow for a spring season to start later. I think the gym space problem could be worked out and it is only going to be a matter of time before softball in western NC will have no practices at all before games! We are at the mercy of the weather and February is not a good month to be outside! It is hard to drag an infield covered in snow!! It would just be great to start our practices and games when it is 85 or 90 degrees, instead of 15 or 20!!

6. Super Jon

Super Jon Member

Not trying to be a jerk, just asking a simple question. If baseball can practice in February why can't softball?

7. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

OK then, feb. in the foothills and mtns is a little colder than feb. in the beach. aluminum bats and cold weather and teenage girls dont seem to mix.

8. Dukedog4

Baseball has nothing to do with softball

The association of the two is part of the reason softball got kicked out of the olympics. Another great reason to play in the fall is to get playoffs done at time when kids aren't worried about Proms/Exams/Graduation.

9. Super Jon

Super Jon Member

Just so you know, I'm from King so I know exactly how the winter is in the foothills.

If softball is moved to the fall, the playoffs wouldn't be finished until at least mid-late November. It starts to get cold in some places then.

10. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

Softball is meant to be played in the spring as is baseball. Don't need to change, it works fine right where it is. A little cold here in the mountains early but we deal with it. As for college coaches seeing the girls play the ones who want to play in college play travel ball and that is where the coaches are going to go anyway because they can see more than just two teams at a time plus in high school ball many of the girls that are playing aren't good enough to play in college and don't even want to play there.
    Don't worry before long we will be like the western states and the girls will be playing travel ball in the spring instead of school ball anyway. If they do play in school it will be secondary to travelball