1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NC ASA State Tournament

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by CardCoach2, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Double Dog Dare

Double Dog Dare Full Access Member

I agree with WndMillr.......the two teams that made the final, made the decision. If you didn't like the decision, then you should've made the final.

2. Softball_Crazy

Softball_Crazy Full Access Member

I want everyone to know that the Cobras were ready to play the final game for the ASA State Champs title. After the Blues finished the game against the Cardinals the director ask Charlie and Rodney if they wanted to play the game, Charlie told Rodney that it was up to him, he decided to take runner up and the berth. So please don't take anything away from the Cobras they were undefeated and played with everything they had against some tough teams. We respect Rodney decision not to play because his team was very tired. We will be pulling for the Blues at nationals.

3. Fastpitch Coach

Fastpitch Coach Full Access Member

Great Weekend of Softball

Winning the State ASA Title is very rewarding to the Cobras. Every team entered I'm sure had the same quest. Playing championship games at 7:30 PM (1:40 time limits) on Sunday nights is tough not only for players, but for parents, directors, park officials, concession workers, all involved. One of the things that impressed me the most over the weekend was the players of different teams WHEN they were not playing. While resting between games, I saw players from seperate teams taking naps on the ground laying beside each other, eating together, sitting together under shade trees talking about things I am sure not related to softball. These young ladies have all played together and against each other for a long time. A lot will be playing together again in college that are on different teams today. A very class act on the part of the Lady Blues. I hope their is some way a couple of more teams from NC can get to Moline.

4. shakeitoff

shakeitoff Full Access Member

WAY TO GO

Two years in a row, these 2 teams have made it to the Nationals!
    WAY TO GO!!! Cobras went very far last summer in the Nationals. Finished 9th, (i think) in the USA! I am very proud for them all. Good Luck in Illinois. Should be alot cooler there than Texas was last summer. :)

5. FPitch99

FPitch99 Full Access Member

What does it matter?

To say that not playing the Championship game, degrades the ASA State Tourney is preposterous! The two best teams in the tournament this past weekend were left standing, and all others who had there chance to get to the final game, had gone home. So....why can't the last two teams decide to call it a day, accept their Nationals bids and their 1st and 2nd place finish in the ASA States, and move on to Colorado or other tournaments?

Would it have degraded the tournament, if rain came and washed away the ability to play the championship game, and the Cobras were awarded first place based on their not having lost a game to that point? I don't think so.

We aren't playing the game at the 18U ASA level to trophy hunt. We are playing to get girls exposed, and fulfill their dreams. Hopefully they will all get a chance to play for a conference championship or other title at the next level.

Some of you need to focus a little bit more on the bigger picture.

6. JavelinCatcher

JavelinCatcher Full Access Member

Great weekend

Was a great (LONG and HOT) weekend of softball. I got to meet cheeze and comet which was a plessure and hung out with marlin and WndMillR which is always a trip.

This was my first experience with 18U ball. You just can't express in words how awesome these girls are. You have to see it for yourself!

My DD had a blast playing and hanging out with the older girls. It was an eye opening experience for her to see the talent at this level. The bar is now set and she knows what she needs to do to compete at the next level.

Hats off to all of the girls/teams especially the ones that had to go through the losers bracket as hot as it was. You could tell that they were dead tired but they wouldn't even think about giving up.

Great job everyone!

7. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

I hope you don't think in my mimd it is over a trophy. It's not. Even if it is a consulation game you finish. If you number one pitcher and catcher can't go you use someone else. As long as you have 9 capable of playing you play with what you have and lose with dignity. I'm sorry all but; you NEVER give up and you NEVER quit!!!! I've seen a lot of teams play many more games than this in higher temps without ever having a serious problem. One question though, Would you have quit if it was for the Championship in Colorado?

8. CometFan

CometFan Moderator

Observations

I was at both venues almost non stop from 5:30pm Friday until around 8:30pm Sunday. I thought the tournament was run pretty well. Decisions on the final games was a good call by the teams involved. The only problem that I noticed was at Renaissance. The 225 foot fence kept falling over due to the wind. This could have been a factor in some games. Also there could have been someone injured if going after a fly ball and tripping over the fallen fence.

TBR'ers were out in force at both locations. I talked to so many TBR members and non members that I can't begin to list them all. Thanks to all of you for supporting the best softball board on the planet. If you are not a member yet, I encourage you to join and start telling us about your team, DD, and softball stories. It only takes a few minutes to join.

Would Like to see the NC ASA State Tournament back in Charlotte next year. I think improvements to the field conditions and tweaking the scheduling of games that Charlotte would be a good home for this tournament.

9. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

Don't know who the third place team was but they might have wanted a shot at the championship if one of the final two teams was unable to play. Of course, as strong as the Cobras seem to be they might not have had much chance but you never know.

I still have to vote with central-d.

10. Ms. Diggety Dog

Ms. Diggety Dog Banned From TBR

The third place team was the Cardinals McHone, who knows maybe they would have wanted to play the championship if so the Cobras would have played, if they would have made past the Blues then they would have had the option. The bottom line being the main reason for the tournament was to earn the berth for the ASA Nationals, and whoever finished second would have gotten the berth passed to them.