1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NC ASA State Tournament

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by CardCoach2, Jun 16, 2008.

1. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

Holy Cow I never thought I would say this but this time I have to agree with central-d, at least the part about finishing what you start. I have to go to bed now and try to forget what i just did. LOL

2. MP2

MP2 Full Access Member

I imagine neither one of you were at the tournament and you both have no idea what you're talking about in this situation.

3. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

You said enough for me when you said you don't care who wins and loses. That is really sad. And I don't mean that to be an insult. It just gives me the feeling of someone being used. I teach softball because I love the kids I work with and I love to see all the kids compete. I feel it is really for them. I really don't believe most of the kids are competing for the money; but rather for the sport! There are a lot of girls in college who play on club teams. There are some really good players on those club teams, also. Not everyone can commit the time to a Division team yet they still play. Because they love the game, the competition.

I understand why there are showcases. I would hope that the ASA would not let an ASA State Championship turn into a showcase tournament. I really don't believe the ASA has the same philosophy as you do, either. At least, not at the college level. Not by intent, anyway.

Where are they going after the college level? How important is the sport at the college level? What do championships mean--at any level?

4. Abbey fan

Abbey fan Full Access Member

OK

All that are calling me out for not playing the Cobras have your opinion and I have mine, My girls played four games today, three back to back in 90+ heat. I have three pitchers and they all did a great job. My best pitcher and catcher were totally exhausted and several more kids were bruised burned and two were hit by pitches and had swollen arms. We had to beat the Cobras twice, we would have played till at least 10 as it was 7:30 when we were finished with Cardinal game. I will not risk injury to young ladies to get a MACHO feeling or to win a Trophy or to please other people. These tournaments are intense, nerve racking, and more competitive than you seem to think. We played the Cardinal, Chandler our first game, Cardinals Mchone, Triangle Lightning, Sun Devils, Diamonds, and Cobras, all great teams and the Matthews Cobras in a pool game which ended 2-1, they are an up and coming team in the area. Chandler,Cobras, and Triangle Lightning all made Nationals last year!
    The Blues players wanted to play and would have gone out there hurting or not but they had given their all and I had to be an adult, use some common sense and if you want to say I am terrible for it, have at it! I do what I think is best for the girls that play for me and let other teams and people like you decide your feelings. It really does not matter, we get our kids to college, many that without the softball and academic money we assist them in getting would not be able to go to the school of their choice.
    I wonder if you would have survived what my girls and the other final four did to day.
    Great job Cobras, McHone Cardinals, Triangle Lightning for being the final four in the toughest ASA States the Blues have ever played!

5. softballphreak

I have experienced a very similar situation as a matter of fact. We got in the losers bracket during the State Games in Raleigh quite a few years back and ended up playing 6 (maybe 7) games on an extremely hot Sunday before we won that championship. It was so hot that day that all the fields had to take breaks at the same time to make sure the players faced minimal heat risk. Our catcher caught every single game. Most all of those players went on to play in college. This was their last year in college for most of them.

I really do understand but I would feel much better if more honor had been given to the NC ASA State Championship title. That is my main issue. I would like to think the holder of that title would be just as proud of any title until they achieve that National Title.

6. Daddydobber*

Daddydobber* Where Did He Go ???

Very Well Put Especially #1
    CONGRATS Lady Blues on your National Bid Good Luck in Colorado this week ......We will see ya in Moline !!!!!!!

7. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

On that point

....I certainly agree. In this case that someone who thought that the ASA Champ. was not important was BOTH teams. They are BOTH champs! How many trophies does one need?

The theory directed here in this "choosing not to play" is:

1. at 10, 12ish may not what we should teach about play/etc.

2. ....but at the 18 level, its an acceptable way of doing things.

BTW, I wonder how many championship trophies both of these teams as well as the Cardinals, CF Storm, Flames, Lightning have?????......

8. MP2

MP2 Full Access Member

I know the Cobra players, coaches and parents are extremely proud of their ASA State championship. They earned it against very tough competition in very exciting games. Nothing was left to prove by anyone at this tournament. Congrats to all the teams....very tough and dedicated kids all around.

9. softballphreak

I see where we're at, now. I've always kind of had the feeling that I should be teaching at the 16U level; maybe 12U or14U, anyway. I can't teach 10U. Maybe it's me; I guess I'm naive!

But I wasn't talking about trophies. You run out of room for those anyway. I was talking about titles. Some may think those unimportant but there are many girls that played in that tournament who would love that title!

Congratulations to all, anyway!! There's no doubt that they are worthy!!

10. Daddydobber*

Daddydobber* Where Did He Go ???

Listen to this MAN he is VERY VERY Wise in the NC Fastpitch Softball Ring ....Once again CONRATS on Your Bid to the Nationals !!!!!!