1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NC ASA Youth Fastpitch Changes

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by CardCoach2, Jan 5, 2006.

1. CardCoach2

CardCoach2 Full Access Member

Coaches,
    I have been appointed the new NC ASA JO Commissioner. I also coach the Carolina Cardinals/McHone 18U travel team out of Ray Chandler's Cardinal's organization. For many years, for several reasons, the ASA program in NC has not been the "preferred" sanctioning body in girls fastpitch. I've always had to go out of state to play in an ASA sanctioned tournament with the exception of the ASA State. That is soon to change. ASA is the most dominate softball orgainzation in the nation. All of the most prestigious "Showcase" tournaments are ASA. It's where the colleges go for players. I, along with the help of others at NC ASA will make our tournaments, the tournaments you prefer to play in by enlisting the input from all the teams across the state especially in the younger age brackets. The purpose of this email is to inform and seek information, so please feel free to respond.
    What is your idea of the perfect tournament? amount of games, prize packages, ect..
    What does NC ASA need to do to attract your team to an ASA tournament?Please email me with any input you may have.
    Sincerely,
    Rick McHone
    NC ASA JO Commissioner
    Coach, Carolina Cardinals 18U
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    336-416-6056 cell

2. LLTC Coach

LLTC Coach Banned From TBR

NC Lady Lightning Fastpitch 16/18U

We are interested in having opportunities to qualify for the National tournament instead of having to travel so far out of town to compete for a bid.

Thanks Rick for your help. If there is anything I can do to assist you let me know.

John Corn
    NC Lady Lightning
    [email protected]

3. HSFAN

HSFAN Full Access Member

Tournaments

Congrats Rick and hope you expand the ASA tournaments in NC.I have heard several coaches talking about a Four or Five game pool and single elimnation would work for them. Keep the Trophies and play more games.This would probably work for the 12U up but the 8's and 10's would have to be done differently I think . But again good luck and look forward to seeing you this summer and maybe in the HS scrimmages.The thing most like is the ability to play more games.

4. Wildcat Coach 14u

Wildcat Coach 14u Junior Member

Great

It works well when you have 2 or 3 pools and then double elimination.

And I don't know about other teams, but I've never met a player that didn't like trophies or medals.

The ASA tournaments that we were able to find had to be played in SC and the quality of umpires were terrible. You may want to work on that. I coach the Carolina Wildcats 14u, but have umpired AAU baseball for many years.

Out of all the tournaments we played in last year ASA had to have the worst umpires I've evern seen. I thought ISA was bad. You may have to flip a coint to see who was the worst.

Of course anything our organization can do please let us know.

What would our organization have to do in order to get a tournament in order to raise money for the whole organization?

I've been looking around but haven't found anyone that could give me a good answer.

Thanks,

5. Blue Fire Coach

Blue Fire Coach Junior Member

Tournaments

There are numerous teams from near and far that love to play THE Nationally Recognized softball tournaments. What about true team classifications, medals instead of trophies (we all know the space that is filled with trophies)(and medlas are less expensive, therefore lowering entry fees), tournament organizer MVP player award (from each classification / age group), mandatory coaches meeting before the start of tournament, as well as ensuring that the umpires have been taught the correct mechanics and have the deamenor to let coaches "blow off steam" when appropriate. I have benn a NCHSAA umpire for the past 9 years, and coaches do need the opportunity to express there opinion to a certain level.

6. CardCoach2

NC ASA

I really appreciate all the input I've received over the past 2 days. Things are happening. There is a great amount of interest in seeing ASA take off here in the state. I will keep everyone posted as things get put together. Keep the comments coming.

7. frenchie

frenchie Member

Instead of trophies or medals have a nicer t-shirt then the tournement t- shirt with champions on it. :woot:

8. CardCoach2

New ASA appointments

Just to keep everyone up to speed. Two deputy JO Commissioners have been appointed. NC ASA Hall of Fame inductee, Bill Best, is a long time partner in NC ASA and will serve in the Eastern region. Ben McKinney, a travel ball coach from Clemmons, has agreed to serve in the Western region. We are glad to have these two fine gentlemen step up and want to help promote the youth ASA program in NC. We look forward to a prosperous partnership.
    Bill can be reached at 910-686-0196 or 910-389-4617
    Ben can be reached at 336-766-3247 or [email protected]

9. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

NC ASA Softball

Wonderful News!

:woohoo:

Ben and Bill......"you guys just made my day and its a great day for NC Softball!" Thank you so much guys for your leadership and vision .....from not just me..... but alot of other wnc folks!!!! :trophy:

NCHSSCA and now this...... :woot: