1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NC Baseball Coaches Association Clinic?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by BluenGold, Dec 1, 2010.

1. BluenGold

BluenGold Junior Member

Is the association having a coaches' clinic this January? I know that last year's event at UNC was incredible. Is there a new website, too?

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I'll find out from Coach Hal Bagwell and report the details

3. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

This information was e-mailed to me by Pete Shankle... FYI

Some quick info on the NCBCA convention

1. The meeting will be at the University Hilton in Charlotte, N.C. Jan 21st and 22nd
    2. Check in is Friday Jan. 21st after 4:00 to call in a reservation…call – 704- 547-7444

Make sure you indentify yourself with the N.C. Baseball Coaches to get the rate - $89.00 plus tax

3. Registration starts at 4;30

4. ohsbsball

ohsbsball Full Access Member

NCBCA

To all N.C. Baseball Coaches,

Its time again to join us for the N.C. Baseball Coaches Association Convention and Clinic. This year it will be held in Charlotte on January 21st and January 22nd. We are
    very excited about our group of speakers and subjects that are to be discussed.
    UNC-CHARLOTTE will be the host school this year. We will be staying at the HILTON
    UNIVERSITY PLACE, with the Friday night and Saturday morning clinics at the Hilton.
    Below is information that you will need.

- Dates of clinic Friday January 21st and Saturday January 22nd
    - Times Registration begins at 4:45 , clinic starts at 5:15

-Hotel Information Hilton University Place
    Rate - $89.00 plus tax ( ask for N.C. Baseball Coaches rate)
    Call – 1704-547-7444
    Please call now – the cut-off date is Jan. 7th
    Check-in is 4:00 and after
    Check out time is 11:00

Pre –Registration Pre- Registration will be $45.00 for membership & convention, $55.00 if you are also attending the awards
    Breakfast.

Registration at the event will be $55.00, $65.00 for the
    Breakfast also.

*** PLEASE SEND CHECK & PRE-REGISTRATION FORM TO :
    Pete Shankle
    Durham Public Schools
    1817 Hamlin Road, Durham, N.C. 27704
    Make Checks out to N.C. Baseball Coaches Association

The schedule of events is on the back of this sheet

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CALL…… Pete Shankle
    Office – 919- 560-2898
    Cell – 919-697-0221

5. ohsbsball

ohsbsball Full Access Member

NCBCA Schedule

NCBCA program 2011
    Friday Jan 21st

4:45 Registration

5:15 Early-bird Special – Josh Marden –Durham Athletic Park/Brickman Turf
    Preparing a Pitching Mound & Home Plate – slide presentation

6:00 Indoor Practice Session – Pete Hardee –Watauga High School
    6:45 Q and A

6:50 Establishing an aggressive running game (emphasis on leads and reads) - Tom Walter – Wake Forest
    7:35 Q and A

7:40 Break

7:55 Welcome from the UNC – Charlotte coaching staff- Loren Hibbs

8:10 Establishing a Bullpen Routine & Pre-game Routine – Chris Pollard- ASU
    8:55 Q and A

9:00 The Best Damn Hitting Drills in the World – Mike Kennedy – Elon
    9:45 Q and A

10:00 NCBCA business Website N.C. – S.C. Challenge

Saturday Jan 22nd

8:30 Awards breakfast

10:00 Setting up a program to get the most out of your catchers - Matt McCay –Brevard College
    10:45 Q and A

10:50 5 Areas that every pitcher must be stromg. How to assess and train these 5 - Areas to increase velocity – Alan Tyson – Architech Sports
    11:35 Q and A

11:40 USA Baseball – Jeff Singer

11:50 Dismiss for lunch

1:00 Report to UNC- Charlotte
    3:00 Dismiss

6. Braves

Can I get some feedback on how this clinic went? I attended one a few years ago and it was awesome! Very instructional and a great place to meet some terrific coaches all in one area.

Coach Dease, I'd love to here from you.

7. BluenGold

BluenGold Junior Member

Clinic was very good overall. I liked some of the presenters better than others. The University Hilton was a very nice venue to host the clinic. I thought the Sat. afternoon at Charlotte was outstanding. Very hands on and approachable!

8. Braves

Who were the better presenters and what area of expertise did they discuss? Not to say the others were bad, but I'd like to recognize the one's that were superb.

9. Truthbetold

Truthbetold Member

Pollard always does a good job. I used part of what he went over to rewrite my bullpen routines as he was speaking. I was up there at App St. a few years ago where they hosted, and that was superb as well.

The indoor practice done by Hardee was well done in my opinion, he gave me a lot of ideas and suggestions. I don't have an indoor cage, and he does, but he still gave a lot of ways to get around not having the same resources.

Elon sent a younger hitting coach, but he seemed to handle the late notice pretty well.

I really liked the guy that was brought in from Durham athletic park. We are rebuilding are mound and his information has allowed me to make sure I am doing it perfectly right this time. I hope I get to go to one of their clinics over the summer.

Tom Walter is a superb speaker. I have done my baserunning as soon as my players got streched and warmed up the first two days of tryouts/practice as he suggested. I am getting a ton more focus from my kids. He is also very helpful in sharing his info.

Brevard's catching information was good. I guess I have seen it all now, after playing for Gary Robinson who worked the crap out of us catchers. There's not much he didn't teach me.

10. Truthbetold

Truthbetold Member

and...

Alan Tyson gave the same info he gave last year, but he is a genius if you ask me. I tried to get some of my pitchers to go to their arm care clinic at the Ballantyne YMCA, but nobody went. I would like to know the thoughts of somebody that went to one of those.

Finally, I was also very impressed with the job UNCC did at hosting. The on field clinic with 2-3 sessions going on at the same time was a good idea. That way I didn't have to stand in the bullpen and wait until they get to infield drills if I am stuck in my ways in my bullpen routine.

By the way, I heard some of the UNCC staff was at an indoor showcase of some sort later that night. Sure was a long weekend for Hibbs and his staff. First class job in my book.