1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NC Sr. Legion State Tournament

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by pirate, Jul 19, 2009.

1. luigiboy

luigiboy Full Access Member

I dont think anybody that has followed Cherryville this year is surprised that Watts is in RF and Benfield is starting the first game. Benfield was the Game 1starter in both the Caldwell and Shelby series. In the Caldwell Series he got 2 wins and a save in the 3 games Cherryville won. Benfiled has very much been Cherryville's ace in the playoffs.

2. BaSeBaLlLoVeR11

BaSeBaLlLoVeR11 Full Access Member

not sure but i think you meant thurber strikes out williams....?

3. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Benfield clearly is very good,,,, but Watts has big game experience, what is this his 14th year of legion ball? (lol). Seriously, with his experience I said early last week that BDR would have Watts for a big 2nd round matchup with Rowan looming as a strong possibility, and he does.

BDR did the same thing with Chris Mason in 2003, did not pitch him against Fayetteville's host team and saved him for 2nd round. BDR rolls the dice in tournament situations, most of the time it has worked for him. Even with Watts tomorrow, if Rowan/Cville happens, it should be a great game, because Rowan has been scoring about 15/game during the playoffs, they have 5 .400+ hitters in their lineup. But I like the move.

4. MHS Lover

MHS Lover Member

Mooresville 5 Rocky Mount 4 Mooresville plays 3PM Sunday

5. rowanfan

rowanfan Member

Middle 5
    Pitt Co. 7
    Cherryville 5

6. west boy

west boy Full Access Member

Rowan County 15
    Duplin-Sampson 5

7 innings

Well just got in from the park, when I left Cherryville was winning their game, I believe they might be losing right now. Impressive win for Rowan today, without one of their better bats. Zach Smith did get there and was inserted into the game, but he did not bat. Trey Holmes was just awesome today, a grand slam and a three-run homerun (7 RBIs). Russell Michalec also hit a three-run homer and Casey Little hit the game ending two-run homer. Rowan lead 5-0 after the slam by Holmes, but Duplin knocked out Corbin Shive who didn't have his stuff today, getting within 5-4. Parker Gobbel and Cody Laws were great out of the pen and Rowan responded with the bats. Billy Veal will get the start Sunday night at 7 pm when Rowan takes on the winner of Pitt/ C-ville.

ECU is a very nice stadium. My only knock was the lack of concessions. They have a subway cart and a dippin dots cart. No regular concessions. Bottle of water is $3! Other than that, the people working the gate and doing the half'n'half are very nice.

Also, besides the umpire and the C-Ville player passing out, there was some sort of Jerry Springer episode going on over on the other side of the field (from where I was). Don't know exactly what happened, but I think someone got thrown out and one of the C-Ville players came tearing up the seats going after somebody and had to be restrained. Craziness in Greenville! Stay tuned....

7. west boy

west boy Full Access Member

Cherryville 10
    Pitt 7

6th inning

8. rowanfan

rowanfan Member

End of 6th
    Cherryville 10
    Pitt Co. 7

9. JM15

JM15 Moderator