1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NCHSAA Dumb Rules

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by SuicidalCoach, Mar 22, 2012.

1. SuicidalCoach

SuicidalCoach Full Access Member

Some of these rules are just taking the female out of female student athlete. A cheerleader can wear a hair ribbon but a softball player cannot?

2. FP SUPER

FP SUPER Full Access Member

Well that would be the NCHSAA, hair ribbons are an adornment, but lets wear steal cleats and cut someone.

3. SuicidalCoach

Don't get me wrong...I fully support cheerleaders are athletes. But the argument that a softball player cannot wear ear rings or a hair ribbon is stupid. How about eye black is now a sportsmanship issue? Last week we played on an outfield that was far more dangerous than a hair ribbon, and faced a coach that yelled during each pitch.

4. stiksdad

stiksdad Full Access Member

Whats up with eye black our HS wears it every game.

5. SuicidalCoach

You can wear it...players can't pull it down as seen by a lot of the college teams. They consider it a "sportsmanship" issue.

6. PiedmontSB#6

PiedmontSB#6 Senior Member

Every ump

I think that every ump assigned to a game should walk through the fields and dugouts not worrying so much about hair ribbons. But unsafe gates or fence, unsafe base not properly in the ground, 6 in hole at the mound for pitcher to pitch from, 3 inch lip at the infield/grass line. Grass in the outfield not mowed, fire ant hills, rocks on infield the size of your thumb. After all that has been inspected and "passes" inspection then go look for a ASA stamp on a bat. I think that the ump is responsible for the "whole game" not just for a ASA stamp or hair ribbon. Because he/she has been assigned to that game and is responsible for "ALL" the rules. If the fouls lines, batters box are not correct and the ump says something about it, then why not the grass height. I once heard a ump after ejecting a coach say, "I can call the police and have you arrested and handcuffed and taken to jail if don't leave the field" so if they have that much control. Shut the game down till the field is fixed to proper spec. at that point will the ump get the respect of the coaches and players and fans and know the strike zone also.

7. fmrump

fmrump Junior Member

First of all there is nothing in the rulebook about the height of the grass or many of the other issues that you mentioned. That being said I agree that the hair ribbon rule is ridiculous, however from what I understand in talking with a few current umpires they were sent an e-mail saying that if they were caught working a game where a girl is wearing a hair ribbon they would be suspended. I do not agree with them wearing jewelry because it can possibly be dangerous but the hair ribbon rule is crazy.

8. SuicidalCoach

I was told the same thing regarding the umps, and I don't want this tread to be about umps. I think they have to constantly battle, ASA, NSA, NCHSAA rules, and I don't see how they do it. FWIW...I think the rule for jewelry is rest of game for head coach, and TWO games for the player.

In basketball my dd was told you have to wear the same color head band as the rest of the players...hers was white, and three others had on black. In softball, a head band can be black, white, beige, or team colors, and all players don't have to be the same. It's just nuts! Why not one rule?

Our game is growing in popularity. Like basketball, and football these players want to look up to/emulate the college players. What's next for the NCHSAA...no make up allowed for female student athletes?

9. CardCoach2

CardCoach2 Full Access Member

Need changes in the ranks of the hierarchy

Somewhere in the near future there needs to be a change at the upper managment level, or at least they need to "get in" this century.
    We all have a sometimes have a tendency to become too proud of the job we're doing... When ribbons and a little green logos on a glove become more important than the game....Time for a change. Remember these are some of the same folks that said fastptich would'nt make it in NC many moons ago. JMO

10. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

A more effective threat instead of being arrested is to threaten the team with a forfeit. Most coaches would pay a fine, but hardly any would risk a forfeit.

They have gotten too carried away with the stamps and labels, for sure. Equipment gets scuffed but when you have an identical bat that isn't scuffed even a non-sharpie should be able to solve that issue.

"They don't say Hanes until I say they say Hanes" mentality has got to go.