1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Need advice from you coaches smarter than I

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by stickwolf, Jun 14, 2004.

1. stickwolf

stickwolf Full Access Member

Long story short. Are there any tricks to get a 12 year old kid( pitcher) to tune out taunting by the other team(yea thats crappy that a team has to resort to this at that age, Rec league, no less) As much as I tell them not to listen they are kids and it gets to them. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks

2. acfan

acfan Full Access Member

As a pitchers dad I tried to create that type of evironment sometimes in practice so she would be able to tune it out ie; radio, have her use her favorite song in her head, or get the other players at practice to stay loud when she is pitching. If that don't work I seen a pitcher hit the next 2 batters and that shut the bench up Ha Ha!

3. CometFan

CometFan Moderator

I suggest that if there is an official umpire, talk to the umpire. He should give a warning. If taunting continues they should be ejected from game. If no official umpire is being used, talk to the director, and he should handle the problem. If I am not mistaken taunting is not permitted and besides it is unsportsmanlike conduct.

4. NOGA87

NOGA87 Full Access Member

comet is right, there can be no taunting from the dugout...so bring it to the umpires attention. from fans though is another story. at one of my daughters 12u rec game at bradley center, a dad would holler to our girls to "SWING"! and they usually would. pretty sad for a grown man to do that huh?

5. 4bagger

4bagger Member

The best way to quiet those unrulely and unsportsmanlike fans and players is to just get it done on the field. A couple of runs scored, getting the side out in order or even some hard hit balls can usually queit those clowns down. Those people know they are obnoxious and are usually just trying to hide their own team's shortcomings and weaknesses. There is never any need to even recognize their words or actions. Just tell blue and hopefully he will handle the problem.

However for the players who have to hear that noise, it is just part of the maturing process of a ball player to overcome the outside distractions. When a player has success against that type of team or fans, that will always build confidence for the next time. Unfortunately, there will be a next time. :huh:

6. Homer3

Homer3 Full Access Member

Don't forget the game CAN be played without the fans. I have also seen an umpire remove all but the starting 9 from a dugout to put an end to a teams taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct. Toss a few fans and / or players, that will quiet'em down!! :laugh1:

7. cfastpitch44

cfastpitch44 Full Access Member

hey this is cfastpitch44's daughter..... the way i tune out the taunting and obnoxious fans is just smile when i do sonething good... my catcher is a big help too... when they start to yell something mean she'll look at me and laugh and that helps me smile and just play they game i know how too. when you smile it makes them mad because it shows that taunting doesn't bother you, besides if their taunting you, their worried about you. :banana: :banana: :xyzthumbs :xyzthumbs :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :banana: :banana: :banana:

8. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

:applause: .............................+ a :xyzthumbs

9. stickwolf

stickwolf Full Access Member

Thanks guys. We are going to work on this.

10. throwtheheat

throwtheheat Full Access Member

We get the same thing in baseball. My suggestion is to talk with the umpire and have him discuss it with the other coach. This sometimes helps. Unfortunately if you have an umpire that is not in control, then you may have to talk with the coach yourself with the umpire present.

My other suggestion is to NEVER stoop to their level. Teach your kids to be bigger than they are and that will help them overcome.

Coaches that allow their teams to do this are amongst the lowest forms life.