1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Need Ruling on Scoring Situation

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by 3N2, Mar 20, 2014.

1. 3N2

3N2 Junior Member

Hello All, I need help on understanding a game scoring situation.

There was a game that got underway and made it just over midway through the 1st inning when a fan (dad of team member) passed away at the field (you can find this in news articles). The game was suspended at that point with the Home team leading 1 - 0 (middle of 1st inning). The game has been recorded as a 1 - 0 win for the Home team. However, all rule books state that a game is not official until it has reached at least the half-way point. If it has not reached, it is either suspended until the scheduled makup or outright cancelled and all statistics are not counted. So according to the rule books, the game is either cancelled, or counted as a forfiet if one team wants to continue at another date and one team does not. However, recording this as a 1 - 0 game is not a right recording, it should be either a forfiet or a unofficial cancelled game, but not entered as a Win or Lose for either team.

Can folks on this board chime in with there opionions? And is their something in the NCHS Rule books that makes an exception to the College and Professional Rule Books?

2. slick50

slick50 Full Access Member

Coaches agreement?

3. 3N2

3N2 Junior Member

Good Question and I will ask that of Coach getting loss. It was a unique situation and may very well could be an "agreement" and at times like these the game itself and rules don't mean anything. So that is a possibility.

Putting aside any "agreements", what are opinions on what it should be ruled vs official ruling.

4. 3N2

3N2 Junior Member

To follow-up, there was no Coaching Agreement. Also, MaxPreps has removed the score twice because of the situation that took place and agreed that it was an unofficial game and cannot be scored a Win or Lose for either team.

However, the coach (or someone designated to update maxpreps) has put the score out there for a 3rd time.

So pretty Classless act by a successful organization that really needs no help by posting unofficial scores. Makes you wonder how honest their other statistics are.

5. tarheelmm

tarheelmm Full Access Member

Curious

A game is not complete until five full innings of play and then it is determined by darkness or runs. Thats the quick response.

I understand the circumstances of what happened at the game but I am curious as to why there is such a concern over the win/loss of it? Has anyone talked to the other coach about finishing the game yet?

6. 3N2

3N2 Junior Member

Ethics and Principle

tarheelmm, you are correct... With a situation like this why would someone worry about a win/lose. So why record it either way unless you are trying to advance your teams ratings there is no other legitimate argument? It shouldn't even appear in any book, online, etc. If it didn't appear, this conversation wouldn't even be taking place.

Logic - Don't know if the coaches have talked about resuming the game (score still shouldn't appear), however, to ask the young lady on the field and their family to go back to the field where their love one passed away, may not be the best situation. On a netural field, maybe. But that would be up to the coaches to work out.

Regardless, score shouldn't appear as W or L for either team, the would be the most ethical thing to do.

7. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

NO CLASS!!!! As usual

8. justsoftball

justsoftball Full Access Member

Really? I think the person worrying about this game being posted or not and whether it will finish or not shows the lack of class. Are we not really losing sight of the big picture? A girl lost her father on the field that is supposed to bring her joy. I wouldn't care if my daughter struck out 22 times in that partial game and her stats dropped to .000000000000000001. My thoughts would only be with that little girl.

My thoughts and prayers are with the young lady who lost her father. I am so, so sorry.

9. 3N2

3N2 Junior Member

Check Yourself

JustSoftball - So Riddle me this.... Why was the score posted at ALL? The girls including the young lady that you refer to, have almost all their lives invested in softball. Don't you think they go out and check the standings and stats to see where they rank against their peers? Did you ever imagine that maybe the team that the "L" is pinned on is questioning how the loss was assigned to them, when all of them are old enough to know the rules and know its not considered an official game?

JustSoftball, don't question my class, I am supporting this family though it all and will continue to support them as much as they need it down the road. With your statement, you need to look in the mirror and check yourself and really ask the question. Why was a W or L posted, not once (MaxPreps Admin Removed), not twice (MaxPreps Admin removed again) but even reposted a third time. You tell me who is classless; by continuing to report a game that is not even considered a game in ANY record book and putting this continually in front of the young lady and her teammates and families.

Dig Deep JustSoftball, Dig Deep!!!!! or Don't and remain classless.

10. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

actually, I see her point more than I see yours.....but, someone needs to discuss this with the state....a game is not complete unless it is five innings.......with or without a coaches agreement.....

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014