1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Negative Movement vs Dead Stop Hitting

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by softballphreak, Aug 29, 2010.

1. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

The change of direction issue may be why some believe it is faster to swing from a dead stop. But the negative movement (load) should not be done in a jerking motion. It should be soft and easy. Everything until the initiation of the swing should be almost effortless.

The key is to overcome inertia. Soft, controlled movement will do that more efficiently than starting from a dead stop.

2. JefferMC

JefferMC Full Access Member

There you go again. Intertia means resistance to a change in its state of motion, not just resistance from not-moving to moving.

Trying to apply physics to something that is more psychological and physilogical just gets my dander up.

3. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

Ha Ha.. so you are saying there exists no application of the laws of physics to the game of baseball or softball?

no offense but I don't believe you understand even the most rudimentary aspects of the swing....

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  4. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Wow! This thread is cool. We've got JMac who is doing his best to be devils advocate with dictionary in hand, we've got Bothspo..Dad who is without a doubt a VERY educated man, we've got phreak who knows hitting and then ......wait for it.....the fishman.....Bam! Not for nothin' but ya'll, all of youz guyz have some good points.

I'll give you the truth about Physics, ...and spellin' when I release what I know about who shot Kennedy.

marlin

5. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I stand by my statement. The key is to overcome inertia. Soft, controlled movement will do that more efficiently than starting from a dead stop.

It is more efficient to overcome the slight motion (inertia) of the bat than it is to overcome the bat at rest (inertia).

What is "intertia"? Just kidding.

6. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Full Access Member

Sports sience

How many of you have seen the Sports science espisode on TV about the fastest ball in sports? I suggest you go to UTUBE and look it up and then decide what role the load provides. After seeing that slow motion breakdown of the swing you can learn alot about the science of the swing weather it be golf, baseball or softball.

Based on what I saw I would say that the neg movement by any part of the body, be it hips or hands or what ever would be a timing issue frist and fore most to allow the kinetic chain of events to take place in the proper sequence starting from the ground up and finishing with the club (bat) head making contact with the ball.

The problem with not taking a neg movement with the upperhalf is that it tends to lead or go at the same time the lower half goes thus robbing signifiget power based on the chain of command working from the ground -up. All hitters can make contact leading withthe hands, but can they hit for power?

There is also a clip on reaction time featuring baseball and Steve Findlay from Sports Science, thats a swing that every hitter should copy, and coaches take note where he makes contact with the ball, not leading with his hands for sure.

7. bothsportsdad

good post Hammer.. as I said before I doubt anyone could produce a video clip of a hitter that does not show some load.

As far as hands leading or "extension" at contact I offer this: a ball hit 380 to the opposite field by the best hitter in baseball... textbook on where every part of the body should be at contact.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  8. Stanlysoftball

Stanlysoftball Full Access Member

NEGITIVE MOTION OR STATIC

JESS2.jpg

This girl is not the best 12u batter and not the worst. But she has been instructed that you load (neg motion) and be ready in (static) as the ball is delivered. So you start relaxed, load and GO and follow through. Hopefully it looks like the above after contact...........

In golf, I start at address have my back swing (neg motion) pause (static) at the top. GO and contact and 300 yds here I come..........

Does it work all the time??

9. bothsportsdad

Stanley: You have been told to come to a discernible stop at the top of your backswing? I played in college and never have heard that....

the pic captures the swing slightly later than the one of Pujols but its great to see the similarities in where the rest of the her body is as compared to Pujols.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  10. Stanlysoftball

Stanlysoftball Full Access Member

refresh

Sorry for the mis-understanding. I don't come to a complete stop at the top, but just enough of a pause to stay on balance and then fire away.........