1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Next time you want to quit

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by LBlues 1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

....hey Tatertot, when you become a Taterdad or TaterMom as the case may be, are you gonna put your child on Santas knee and take a few pics?
    Are you gonna see to it that your kid "feels" good like you did when you came into the room to see what Santa left for you as you busted your butt for a few weeks in Dec. to be good.?
    Are you gonna see to it that your kids have an Easter basket?
    Are you gonna bust the bubble when the Ground Hog doesn't see his shadow?
    Will you tell your DD that the goofy kid taking her to the Valentines dance will not be the man that she marries?

Sometimes the "intangibles" are touchable afterall.

Good luck Tater

Fishpal

2. Tatertot

Tatertot Full Access Member

Most of us here are adults and kids that believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny are not reading this. What is your point? Why try to deceive adults into believing something that is not true? I agree with the other poster if you need a made up story to keep you from quitting, maybe you shouldn't be there in the first place. IMO there are very few that are coaching that are not doing it for their own selfish reasons, be it because their own DD is playing for them or to take the credit for girls going to college. I see coaches on here every day congratulating each other for a girl that has gotton a scholarship when it is the girl through academics and hard work that has gotton themselves there. I would venture to say that most of the coaches that are giving themselves credit probably only coached the girl the last year or two before receiving her scholarship. In other words, when the coached picked her up she was already a player.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Only in the softball forum will somebody take a feel good story and pour lemon on it.

Sheesh...lighten up. Who cares who takes the credit? The only thing that matters is a DD was successful in her goal of obtaining a scholly and I'm sure she has people that helped her along the way.

4. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

5. LBlues 1

LBlues 1 Full Access Member

He missed the point

6. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

You are wrong! Most coaches have the interest of the girls in mind. There is simply too much time and energy that has to be devoted to the sport to be coaching just for selfish reasons.

Having said that, when you boil it down everything one does is for selfish reasons technically. For example, why do people give things away--it makes them feel good. Why do people volunteer--it makes them feel good. Why do coaches cheer for kids they've never once taught anything to--it makes them feel good. Ad infinitum!

If you can't understand helping kids enjoy themselves and become better people then YOU are the selfish one--and not for any good reasons. There are many, many good coaches; many more good coaches than bad coaches. And from what I have experienced on this board, less than 1% fall outside of that description.

We love the kids--no matter who they play for or who they learned from!

7. softball4ever1987

softball4ever1987 Proud Mama

That is why I call you the Master!

LBlues 1 that was a great story that many, many people could learn from, if they want to become good players, coaches or teachers of the game! Thank you for continuing to be the master! Long time no talk BTW! Hope all is well! I miss the game so much! And as I read the prior posts I see not much has changed here on TBR! But all my respect and love to you to you Rodney!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  8. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I just read one of your post questions on another thread. I think I understand you a little better. Maybe one of those coaches you're speaking of got one of your team's players?

There are some teams that attract top-level players for various reasons. Those reasons probably don't happen by accident. Those coaches work to put their teams into positions to help players get to the next level. They seem to be looking for cream-of-the-crop players; players that are already highly skilled. This does have its repercussions. No team wants to lose top players.

Teams that are made up of high-level players win at higher levels. Those teams attract college scouts. Those players have better chances, generally, to sign at the top schools.

Whatever your opinion of how they do it, they get the girls opportunities they may not have gotten otherwise. And, like it or not, they usually have the best teams. And because of this they will attract the top players. This will leave bad feelings along the way but in the long run it's the best thing for the girls and the sport.

Like you indicated, these aren't little girls anymore; these are young women looking out for their futures. And I can assure you just from watching some of them compete that they are the cream of the crop.

Congratulations to the coaches with the vision to help these young ladies reach their goals; even if you piss some of us off now and then.

9. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

i'm with braves on this one, good gawd, it must be that time of the year for boredom and stress to come out on the board. to me, it doesnt matter if the story was proven true or not, its the message that counts. i've know rodney for many, many years, and i feel that if he knew this wasnt true, it wouldnt of been posted. but look at the message and concentrate on that!!!!

how can you take that one thought and switch it to an assault on a coach???

beats me.