1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Next Year's "Will Sign" guys

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Baseballstr, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Baseballstr

Baseballstr Junior Member

Anyone have any choices on student athletes that may sign with colleges this summer, fall, or after next years season? Please list all senior that may play D1 or D2 baseball after this next year, thanks!

2. Htownballa20

Htownballa20 Junior Member

Wes McCall will sign if he is graduating. Pretty good arm and is a lefty that can swing it, that always helps.

3. Baseballstr

Baseballstr Junior Member

What school will Wes be attending next year?
    I know of a few kids in the area, from TV and other 'talk' around town, Logan Smith (Myers Park,3rd), Jaryd Keesee (Hopewell,P), and Kyle Shelton (South Mecklenburg, 3rd). These are players I have seen play and can almost promise will recieve a spot on a college team.

4. Gambit

Gambit Full Access Member

I believe Ben Buchanan(East Meck), Kyle Shelton(South Meck), Logan Smith(Myers Park), David Teague(East Meck) are all gonna be possible DI signees, after all having a great season in the SW4A, look for them to step it up as seniors next year for their respectable teams. :cool:

5. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

A few more obvious ones .....

Jay McConnell, Catcher at East Gaston
    Patrick Adams, Pitcher at West Rowan
    Ryan Wilson, Catcher at West Rowan

A few you may not have thought of: These guys may not sign Top-25, but they should play D1 if someone sees them. I've leaving a lot out, but it should trigger some more discussion.

Dan Woodall, Catcher, Hopewell .... he signs if no other reason than his bat. The guy can hit and he's smart. One of those ultimate utilities players you can plug anywhere in the field and he won't hurt you.

Zac Farry, LHP from Independence ... someone will want him ... he's a very good pitcher.

McMahon, Catcher from Independence ... again, don't overlook him. He's a great receiver and has a strong arm. (and I wish I knew his first name).

Dan Portone, OF at North Meck ... High average hitter, extremely fast on the base paths, smart runner, high on-base percentage and a strong OF arm. If you haven't gone to see him, he's a "must see" guy. He may fall through the cracks, but the guy can play.

Ben Beard, SS, Hopewell ... He's not a top-25 D1 guy in my mind, but he can rake the ball and is very fast. To me, he's an OF at the next level and could contribute at a smaller D1. He hits for power and average.

Tyler Lackey, RHP, Mooresville .. He's a competitor, goes right at the hitters. A strong performer who will continue to get better.

Tim Johnson, LPH, Statesville ... Statesville isn't a very strong program, so Tim won't log a lot of victories this season BUT, the guy can pitch. He deserves a serious look.

Of these, the most likely to be overlooked, but a player with a tremendous upside for the right program is Dan Portone.

6. nsbaseball5

nsbaseball5 cometplaya

if its the mcmahon im thinkin bout i was good friends wit him my 3rd to 4th grade year but we moved...our families were real close...his name is jonathan mcmahon

7. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Kory Judd (RHP) of Green Hope HS will go somewhere D1.

Matt Mangini (hitter) of Apex HS should go D1 somewhere.

8. SouthPawDad

SouthPawDad Full Access Member

Baseballstr,

NCAA rules state that a college can make no "offers" to a player until July 1, if that player is enrolled for his senior year of high school. So, if a junior failed the 11th grade, they still can't talk to him (nor why would they).

After July 1 a school may contact, by phone, a player one time a week. If they miss talking to a player and leave a message (with parents or on machine) that counts as their one call. After July 1, players are allowed to make 5 "official visits" to 5 different schools. An officiasl visit means the school pays for the player's transportation, lodging, meals and tickets to a sporting event. Nothing else. No hats, shirts, equipment, etc. Students and schools can make "verbal commitments" during this time, but verbals are non-binding by both the player and the school!

A specific time in November will be set by the NCAA as the "early signing period". Between July 1 and November, the NCAA sets the times that a coach can visit a player's home, high school, etc. There are very strict guidelines! The "early signing period" is good for a few players, but most players sign in the spring and still others after the draft. There is usually more money available in the spring than in the early signing period. Players transfer, don't make the grades, graduate eary and get drafted, opening unexpected holes in the school's roster.

I'm not an expert, but hope this helps in understanding the process.

9. Osdad

Osdad Junior Member

If at all possible, can we give reasons behind why the athletes we mention will succeed at the next level? Because I am becoming somewhat confused on what the reasons are for some of the players, just asking guys, please dont jump down my throat on this one! Thanks,

Baseballstr, just my thoughts on your pics:

Logan Smith: Great arm across the infield, can hit the ball CONSISTENTLY for power and for average. Also made minimal if any errors at all this school year. He's just flat that good, Def. D1 baseball player. Absolutely one of the best fielding and hitting baseball players in the area, especially for the class of 2004!

Jaryd Keesee: I had the opportunity to see him play on Wed, Live arm, I heard a few kids say that his fastball just jumps around, "It looks like it moves out and comes back" aka a backdoor 4 seam fastball in the upper 80's. A 12 to 6 curve ball that he can throw in any count. He threw a great game against the O’s, even though the umpire didn’t give him any calls.

Kyle Shelton: Definite contribution to South Meck, small but can put the ball over the infielders heads almost on demand. Makes the throw to first with ease, and is so fluid with his hands that it almost puts a coach to sleep.

But Baseballstr don’t forget about:

Elliot Arrington: Can hit for power, good speed, just think that Bagwell needs to find a 'good' position for him other than first, he's just not big enough.

Jay McConnel: Behind the plate he can block, his arm to second can be made up in his footwork, But when he stands at the plate, I would hate to be the man on the mound, because this kid can just HIT.

10. Gambit

Gambit Full Access Member

I agree Osdad, those are fine picks. I have'nt seen much of Keesee though. Some kids i can tell you about are:

Kevin Dietrich: Great leadoff hitter, he can hit for power and the kid can flat out fly in the outfield, great arm as well. He may not be the biggest of guys but he sure makes up with it with that huge swing every at bat.

Logan Smith: Need i say more than Osdad did?

Kyle Shelton: Great infielder and true leader of his team, i think he struggled this year at the plate, but he'll be fine and ready for his up coming senior season. Plays a great infield, the games i saw him play never made an error. Great overall kid and i hope he does recieve a DI spot on a great team somewhere.

David Teague: Kid can hit, hit above .400 this year i believe, each time i got to see him play the ball just jumped off his bat. He plays a good 3rd base and shortstop, although i hear he gets moved around a lot. I saw he's playing outfield for his legion team on an earlier post. Seems to make a great utility player.

I agree with you about Arrington, he's to skinny for first,he's got the height just not enough meat on the bones I guess you could say. He can hit for some power and would make a great attribution to anyones team around Charlotte.