1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Next Year's "Will Sign" guys

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Baseballstr, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Elon College is recruiting hot an heavy in the Charlotte area. Two of the names mentioned are locked on their radar screen.

Every player mentioned is a very good prospect. With the exception of Logan Smith and Jay McConnell, there is one commonality that all those players must improve on.....strength. They need to work hard this fall and winter to build themselves up....and all our capable of doing that.

Kyle Shelton will surprise you...he is taller than he appears....and I believe I have expressed my thoughts on his talents many times on this board.

Elliot Arrington-- despite having a sub par hs season ( at least to his standards ) this kid can flat out hit. After having people monkey around with his swing, it appears Elliot has re-discovered his fluid stroke again and is tearing up the ball this summer.

...another sure-fire D1 prospect is Chris Taylor at Mount Pleasant. Not only is he a feared hitter and an excellent defensive catcher, but he is a team leader as well. He never gives up, never backs down and has a good relationship with his pitchers.

Kevin Dietrich---oh, how I love this kid!!..never got to see him much this year until recently. Plays like Kyle Shelton, but with more power...speed galore...can hit a hr in one at bat and bunt for a basehit the next. Plays with a passion for the game and is a great kid to boot. He's a winner!!!

A.J. Mason--- another Braves find:D.....This kid has all the tools..fast, strong and is tough as nails. Probably the most underrated player in Charlotte..he can pitch too...and has surprising speed. Wouldn't be surprised to see A.J. top in the 90's this fall.

Reid Fronk-- the best 3rd baseman in the Charlotte area. Smooth hands and an athletic body. This is another hitting machine from Charlotte Christian. He reminds me a lot of Mike Daniels at UNC.

Stuart Bost--- 50 RBI's this past season!!! Sweetest swing since Marilyn Monroe...a gamer when the pressure is on...and you will not meet a nicer kid.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

OsDad---- WELCOME TO THE BOARD

We are looking forward to some great feedback from you. Thanks for joining up.

3. DodgerBlues

DodgerBlues Full Access Member

No offense intended Osdad, but I'm not sure what game you were watching Wednesday night. I was at the game between the Copperheads and the 16U O's Wednesday, and Keesee did pitch. He pitched pretty well for the first three innngs, giving up a couple hits and 1 run, but then didn't get out of the 4th inning. Most troubling, he rolled his eyes and his head back when his 2b made an error, then he threw his glove in the dugout, took his jersey off and sat alone in the stands after he was lifted -- it was an ugly scene for any recruiter or scout who may have been watching -- a good lesson for all that you never know who might be watching and your behavior matters -- all the time.

I also have to disagree about the umpire. Jim Eschert, who is one of the best, was behind the plate and I thought he had a particularly large strike zone, both ways, all night.

And upper 80's? Not even close. Antonio Cousart, who tops out at 86, closed for the 16U O's and he and the righthander who relieved Keesee for the Copperheads (who, by the way, was VERY impressive and may have had even more pop than Cous), were both considerably faster than Keesee.

Keesee is a fine pitcher, but let's not get carried away -- his fastball on Wednesday may have been 80-82 and he did mix in some decent off speed stuff, although he had some trouble spotting it. The guy who relieved him for the Copperheads (sorry I didn't get his name), Cousart and Van Popering, who each pitched 2 scoreless innings for the O's, were each better pitchers Wednesday night. And Layman, who also pitched 2 scoreless frames for the Os, and the lefty who closed for the Copperheads also put in fine performances. The loser for the O's, Cody Drake, struggled to throw strikes in his one inning (the third) and the Copperheads got their 6 runs in that frame. But Drake will have better days, too, and kept his composure despite his struggles.

And, by the way, those were wood bats the O's used to get at least 6 hits off Keesee, including one to the fence by Jonathon Ratledge.

The Copperheads played well and got the 6-5 win, and hats off to the 2nd and 3rd pitchers who pitched out of jams and held the O's scoreless over the last 3 innings. It was a very entertaining game.

Sorry to go off a little, and let me say again that I think Keesee is a fine pitcher with a potential future IF he can get his emotions in check. But if we're gonna have a game report on the board I just think it ought to be accurate.

AND let me add one name to the list of D1 prospects. We've talked about him other places on the board, but the absolute best '04 hitter I saw all year (and I saw a bunch of good ones) was JJ Rollins. The guy must have hit .600 for Myers Park and was a key reason they were playing late in the season. He is fun to watch with the bat at the plate and maybe even more fun to watch when he's behind the plate -- man does he have a cannon. Without a doubt in my mind he is the most underrated player in the Charlotte area.

4. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

4 in Henderson County:

Seth Williams, North Henderson. Excellent speed and arm in the outfield with a great stick.

Chris White, Hendersonville. Very good pitcher, high 80's with a live fastball and good control. Has had a good legion season and performed well at state games on Thursday.

Mike Facchinei, West Henderson. Very good pitcher who is consistently high 80's with a nasty 12-6 curve ball. Has touched 90.

Josh Andrews, West Henderson. 6'4" left handed 1st baseman. Is maturing very well with a lot of power.

5. Original

Original Full Access Member

He pitched pretty well for the first three innngs, giving up a couple hits and 1 run, but then didn't get out of the 4th inning. Most troubling, he rolled his eyes and his head back when his 2b made an error, then he threw his glove in the dugout, took his jersey off and sat alone in the stands after he was lifted -- it was an ugly scene for any recruiter or scout who may have been watching -- a good lesson for all that you never know who might be watching and your behavior matters -- all the time.

That is SO TRUE! Every players gets frustrated, but HOW you HANDLE your frustration is paramount to how you are PERCEIVED.

6. Original

Original Full Access Member

Kevin Dietrich: Great leadoff hitter, he can hit for power and the kid can flat out fly in the outfield, great arm as well. He may not be the biggest of guys but he sure makes up with it with that huge swing every at bat

Kevin Dietrich---oh, how I love this kid!!..never got to see him much this year until recently. Plays like Kyle Shelton, but with more power...speed galore...can hit a hr in one at bat and bunt for a basehit the next. Plays with a passion for the game and is a great kid to boot. He's a winner!!!

Who does he play for?

7. Jobu

Jobu Junior Member

Dodger Blue,

Based upon these game descriptions, it would be difficult for other readers of this thread to figure out the true facts of the Copperheads/O's game from Wednesday night. It seems that your opinion and Osdad's vary significantly.

You did say that you wanted to be accurate, right?

What I (and others who watched) saw Wednesday night was a competitor who wanted to win. I also saw Keesee take off his sweaty top shirt (vest), use the restroom, talk to his mother and father (by cell phone) in the stands, and return to the field to coach first base. These are facts with no opinion.

Keesee did throw his glove into the dugout. That is accurate but in no way demonstrates what you have described.

Both teams complained about the strike zone Wednesday. If you were at the game, you should remember that and comment upon it instead of blasting of one of the competitors.

Yes, the O's were using wood bats. Accurate.

I find it difficult to believe that you could absolutely know velocities or negatively comment about a young man's behavior when you don't really have the facts. Please don't let your biased mindset cause you to prejudge and berate athletes on this or other threads. It isn't necessary, productive, or fair. Especially when you don't have facts.

The O's and the Copperheads played a very competitive game. It was typically well played and both teams have very good athletes.

You are obviously closer to the O's players than the Copperheads' players (as witnessed by your knowledge of the players names). Maybe you could be more objective in different circumstances.

That's what I have to say about that.

8. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

I agree, I don't like to see ANY kid blasted on this board...we are here to promote players....Jaryd is a tremendously talented young man who continues to improve all aspects of his game..inside the line and outside.

9. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

Kevin plays for the Providence Panthers....summer ball for the On Deck O's.....and when he finishes his career...Braves is his Agent :D

10. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

This is another young man being advised by Braves Inc...

This kid is awesome!!!