1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

North Carolina Drafted Players

Discussion in 'The Next Level' started by Intimidator Coach, Jun 6, 2006.

1. wolfpac

wolfpac Full Access Member

Gib Hobson had impressive Complete Game wins over Texas and UNC-Ch in the last couple of weeks. I'm sure that didn't hurt his draft status at all.

2. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

Guys if Woodard hadn't gone in the top 3 rounds, he was gonna go back for his senior year anyway. It's all about signability. He will go in those 1st 3 rounds next year. Nothing lost as far as he is concerned, barring injury. He's gonna be the #1 starter on one of the top teams in the nation. Remember, all UNC's sticks are back with another year's experience under their belts. I think he is in a very good position.

3. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

A huge congrats to ALL of the players drafted from the Carolina's!

Mudcat: As usual, your comments are quite on target.

Braves: No need to bang your head. Don't forget the phrase, "draft and follow." There's a season on the Cape about to unfold. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Prep, where I agree with what you're saying, they don't need another summer to judge Woody's performance. What are they going to see that they haven't already...no, they would be better off taking the summer going to classes at the MLB Scouting Bureau because in this case, they missed the boat completely

5. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

I am shocked that Lowry from Scotland didn't get drafted. A LHP touching 90 with the size to project better. Also was going the JUCO route so I thought sure he would get snapped up. Signability must have been a huge factor with some of these kids that were passed over.

6. Red Bear

Red Bear Full Access Member

A touch of class from the Dodgers and Marty Reed. Same thing happened way back when Lasorda convinced the Dodgers to draft Piazza (family friend or relative - I can't remember for sure) late.

Best of luck to Kurt in whatever direction he takes.

7. SuperJon

SuperJon Full Access Member

I was thinking it was something like that but didn't know for sure. Where's Benton going to college?

8. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Signability

It is about signability. The high school / JUCO players have a little more leverage in that they can attend college and put off pro baseball. Obviously there are risks to that. 4 yr college players have little leverage, they are at the end of the line.

Something to keep in mind...

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

For some of these young men that didn't get drafted, if they were not selected in the Top 5 rounds....they weren't going. How could one turn down an opportunity to play ACC or SEC ball and receive a great education.

10. HEAT

HEAT Full Access Member

Congrats to Logan Collier from Guilford. He is a great story. Saw very little action in high school at North Forsyth (behind Jason Duncan (NCSU) Andrew Larrimore (WCU) and Gib Hobson (NCSU/SF Giants)). Guilford saw his 6'7" frame and gave him a chance and 3 years later his velo is in the low 90's up from 82-84 in HS and is playing professionally.

Just gotta admire the kid's constant desire to get better and improve himself through adversity and congrats to him because it paid off! :woohoo: