1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NW4A vs SW4A

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Seminolebaseball7, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Seminolebaseball7

Seminolebaseball7 Full Access Member

Which is the better conference top to bottom? Are the top teams in the SW4A better than the top teams in the NW4A?

Your thoughts

2. bubba

bubba Full Access Member

NOT this year

Maybe during most seasons the SW4A is better at the top, if not from top to bottom. But not THIS season or last year either. South Caldwell puts out a pitching staff that rivals (or trumps?) what most DI colleges put out over a weekend series. And, despite some key losses, AC Reynolds is still loaded. South Meck losing its coach and a lot of its talent to either graduation or the new school doesn't help the case for the SW4A, but Providence is megaloaded again this year. I just don't see quite the 1-2 punch for the SW4A. The schools that finish 3-6 or so in the SW4A are probably better than the same schools in the NW4A, but Freedom should be better this year, Alexander still has Harrington, East Burke is improving, and Watauga has a very experienced, well-coached, and senior-laden bunch, so that gap is small.

Wow, an ACC-Big Ten challenge like event between the two leagues would be sweet this year--is it too late to petition the NCHSAA to let them all play one extra game?

3. baseballislife10

baseballislife10 Tiger Baseball Fan

I have to say that from what ive seen which is both Providence and South Caldwell play, South is too strong for them. Providence lives off of their hitting and South has a pitcher in Madison Bumgardner who is an arguement for some that is the best player in the nation. South is also underrated when it comes to hitting. Madison Bumgardner has amazing power to go along with his all american pitching arm. This kid pumps it up to 98 or 99 on any given day. As good as Providence is South is better. They are number 12 in the nation and respectibly so. This is just Souths year.

4. TMJ

TMJ Full Access Member

I agree South Caldwell is definitely the team to beat in any conference but the SW 4A conference in my opinion from top to bottom is a little stronger ...Weddington, Butler, Myers Park, Independence, and of course Providence will beat each other up all year, as will a few teams in the NW, but I see no comparison from the 3rd team and under...Course, the season is on and it's going to be a fun spring!

5. Seminolebaseball7

Seminolebaseball7 Full Access Member

I would put my money on Providence if they played South. Coach Hignight, who is a GREAT hitting coach, would prepare his team to hit the fast pitching of Bumgardner, Messer, or Poovey. They could possibly light SC pitching up for more than a few runs. Providence can stroke it, and they also have two solid pitchers in Mailman and Hendel. I think Providence is the best team among both conferences. South Caldwell is definately following closely behind Providence in my opinion. As for the better conference, SW4A.

6. NC Baseball Fan

NC Baseball Fan Full Access Member

WOW!?!?!? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :umno: :rofl:
    just kidding Providence is a very talented club and should go far this season. Good Luck

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  7. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

My heart is with the SW4A and I do think the conference is a little stronger top to bottom....but I still think the State Championship is going to have to go through South Caldwell. :smash:

8. baseballislife10

baseballislife10 Tiger Baseball Fan

I have to agree that SW4A is probably a little stronger top to bottom but as for lighting South Caldwells pitching up, I think is a little strong to say. Whenever we look at Bumgardner we arent looking at a guy that just throws about 90 like a bunch of other pitchers in the state. We are talking about argueably the best player in the nation. This kid has maybe been lit up once or twice in his entire highschool career being a starting pitcher ever since freshmen year. There are many college teams that would struggle vs him right now. Quite simply highschool players just have too hard of a time adapting to 98 and 99 mph pitching at the age of 18 or lower. They havent seen it enough and cant get used to it in 7 innings of play. If Providence and South play... I have to say its a close win by South. Most likely both teams pitching would beat each other up leading to a close win that came down to who had a deeper pitching lineup which is of course South.

9. mincmi

mincmi Moderator

SW4A opens the season at 24-9 heading into league play. Six of the nine losses are from East Meck and South Meck. The remaining six teams are 20-3. Three teams are still unbeaten, Providence, Ardrey Kell, and Independence, with three more having one loss - Weddington, Butler, Myers Park.

The league has wins against the defending champions from the MECA, CPC, and QC and is 2-0 against teams from the NW4A, though the SW4A has not seen NW4A powers South Caldwell or AC Reynolds.

Those match-ups will just have to wait until May!

10. BigDipofCope

BigDipofCope Full Access Member

Just to clear up a few things:

1) Bumgarner doesn't throw 98 or 99 mph, at least not yet. Most scouts gun him between 89-95 mph.

2) He doesn't just throw it hard and strike people out. He's developed a nasty slider and can really spot up that 90+ fastball, which by the way has some very nice movement.

3) Madison has a very good defense out there to help him when teams do put the ball in play. Coach Parham shifts his outfielders well and has most hitters played perfectly. One of the best defensive players on SC is Bumgarner, can really get off that mound well and cover 1st. He's the total package.

For more FACTS on Bumgarner: http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/index.jsp?mc=bumgarner