1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

NW4A

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by sball, Feb 22, 2008.

1. hispeed

hispeed Full Access Member

could this also be where a coach tells players that they highly recommend offseason workouts if they don't want to be behind when season begins. then it would take a few weeks to catch up with the players that did work during the offseason. players could take this as a have to practice during winter to get a position instead of you want to play you will have to earn it. easily confused with young players and most likely suggested by most coaches so players will understand what it takes to succeed. in any case it would be hard to get a violation based on what was understood or suggested in any case unless there was hard factual evidence. alot of coaches know there gray areas from there black and white areas.

2. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Full Access Member

The "open to all required of none" applies to both skills development with one player less then a full team (8 for softball) and conditioning days which cannot include any implements of the game but has no limit on number of girls attending It also applies to open field days where the players run a workout anyway they want to, again no number limits, the coaches can observe but not take part or instruct in any way. If there is any requierment to attend or any punishment for not attending then In my understanding of the rule it is a violation of NCHSAA rules.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Sorry Ray, I'm not sure I understand this, but that's not unusual for me lately. A lot of craziness has been going on

Let me see if we are on the same page. The 8 player workouts are open to anyone, but who attends the workouts is selected by the coach. They generally rotate the days between position players and pitchers/catchers and alternate players depending on the day.

So, if someone missed a workout with an unexcused absence, it would take away workout time from someone that would have liked to be there. And if you had someone refuse to workout and not participate in fall ball; it would be natural for the coach to not look at that favorably.

But to set penalties for not participating is against the NCHSAA rules.

Is that what is being said?

4. Dawgfan

Hope that helps

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Thanks. I guess what amazed me is that I'm used to 25-45 players hoping they get selected for the fall workouts. I can see why it can affect things differently when there is a minimum interest.

As always, you're da man

6. Dawgfan

We had 49 signup for tryouts.......................... could of had our own league lol

7. Coach S

Coach S Coach S

?

I can clarify this one, Players normally sign up for workouts because so many kids wanted to go to skill development. You can only have 8 players in the designated times, so players would sign up for certain days if they were interested. Several months are dead periods.
    I let P/C's sign up come one day, middle infielders one day, outfielders one day, and JV players one day.
    It was not mandatory for anyone to come, but if they signed up to come that day and did not attend, then someone else has to go home. Trust me , I know the NCHSAA rules from Central Cabarrus HS, where you had area HS in the woods and in the upper parking lot filming your skill sessions. :)
    I am sure this coach probably reccommended that the players attend a set number of workouts so the kids could ready themselves for the season.

It should be a great day of Softball at North Davidson on Saturday!

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  8. topdog5532

topdog5532 Full Access Member

You know the rules better than anyone,tell us about your team this year, or is it a suprise..................:walkman::orbit:

9. topdog5532

topdog5532 Full Access Member

You know the rules better than anyone,tell us about your team this year, or is it a suprise..................:walkman::orbit:herd you may be hurting a little with injuries

10. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

I have a coworker who has a dd that played fora HS the last couple years. She had to work this fall and didn't go to workouts. When it came time for tryout she was told by the head coach she had 20 some workouts to make up before she would be allowed to play. she choose not to play. So this would be a violation of state rules? The AD at HS would also be responsible am I right?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2008