1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Observer's Lame Prep Section

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by FHHS81, Aug 10, 2003.

1. FHHS81

FHHS81 Junior Member

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the High School Football Preview section in today's Observer's is pretty lame. They used to do a MUCH better job of it with a write-up and predictions for each conference, a little blurb about each team in the Sweet 16, etc. It was a separate section that was severa pages long. Nowadays it's just the bare facts on a whopping 4 pages!

I think everyone should write Langston Wertz at the Observer and tell him they should put more effort into this section. His e.mail is [email protected].

2. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

It was very weak. At one time it was a seperate section, but now it's just a few pages thrown together. Another fine job of the Observer sports staff.

3. Crest/UNC/Panthers

Crest/UNC/Panthers Full Access Member

Has the Shelby Star preview came out yet Smashmouth5

Attached Files:

4. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

Just a guess I would say that it would be this week before the Jambo. Would be a good time for the Star to kick off football season, but we all know how the Star is.

5. Langston Wertz Jr.

Langston Wertz Jr. Full Access Member

It's funny, but every year about this time, we get the same comments. We do more high school coverage than any other paper in our area. Our preview today was only a beginning.

We'll have a 1A preview Monday, followed by 2A Tuesday, 3A Wednesday and 4A Thursday. Friday we'll debut our reworked Gameday with other new features to kick off the first week of high school football.

We would love to do a separate section with 10-12 pages, but we cannot find a regional advertiser(s) to support it. We'd love to do a weekly prep page but we have to have a regional advertiser to support that as well.

It's one of the problems we face dealing with such a large regional audience as we do. We have 106 high schools to cover and no matter how hard we push, it'll never be enough for some people.

But bottom line? There's more coverage coming. I'll check in on this board from time to time, since you guys abandoned our old board (smile).

Holla at me with some good story ideas.

Later, Langston

6. 75gitane

75gitane Full Access Member

7. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

langston, I for one welcome you to TBR forum............ and we understand the situations you are faced with! Keep us posted!:cool:

8. Langston Wertz Jr.

Langston Wertz Jr. Full Access Member

Thanks, but I am interested in comments on the coverage. The 1A stuff ran today to be followed by other classes. Was this any better?

9. dawgpound02

dawgpound02 Full Access Member

langston, you should do an article on the history of Cleveland County Football. Burns, Crest, Shelby, and Kings Mountian!

10. Chief

Chief Braves Assistant

:xyzthumbs...looking forward to the 4A coverage. Question- I know the kid is under enormous pressure, but how good is Joe Cox, the QB at Indy?