1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

off season workouts

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by catamount36, Dec 9, 2004.

1. catamount36

catamount36 Full Access Member

how much emphasis should we place on off season workouts?? can you? should you? let this be a part of deciding who makes the team?? i would just like to hear your ideas and thought on this subject.

2. MVaughn

MVaughn Full Access Member

I cann't answer the question of whether they should or not but our HS school offers off season workouts in the fall and conditioning during the winter. In addition to assisting the player in their physical development, the coach says that he likes to observe players that attend very carefully to form an opinion of their 1) dedication and 2) skill level. That way, he theorizes, that he will a much more informed opinion of a player to use in selecting the team than what would be allowed if he observed the players only during a three day tryout that could, and most likely would, be impacted by weather.

In short, if the school offers offseason workouts, it would be to the players advantage to attend - unless the player is rehabing or just needs a break from baseball.

3. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Certainly anybody who participates in an off season weight, conditioning and skill improvement programs would be at an advantage over someone who doesn't simply because I as a coach will have had more opportunities to evaluate his ability, work ethic, etc... If I have seen a kid more, that could play a definite role in the selection of the team if somebody I don't know has a "bad day". If I have never seen him before, then how can I be sure of that. Anyway, players who eally want to not only improve themselves will come to workouts because they will want the team to be better as a result of the improvement of the individuals. It also does help us to evaluate the committment level of the players in our program.

The problem is that I dont think that the plicies regarding the out of season workouts by the NCHSAA are realistic towards baseball and other non-revenue sports because of the concessions that have been made to football and the fact that they can have spring practices (which is clearly out of season) and work with such large numbers with relatively few restrictions after the fact that football begins before the start of school and hterefore they have the whole summer to have their own practices. Now football coaches argue that we have Legion Ball. That is after our season and I would wonder just how many HS coaches in the state actually coach the legion teams in their towns? 50%?? I really don't know the answer to that anymore.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

4. Ole Man Kelsey

Ole Man Kelsey I'm your huckleberry....

:handjob: :handjob: Bottom Line: The kids that really want to be ball players are out there during these times....the others are just farting around....

5. playme

playme Full Access Member

i agree with Coach Evans....

hs players who play football and baseball are asked to do weight training and other skills work-outs for football during baseball season...i have seen kids with strained muscles because of weight lifting for football and unable to practice or play a baseball game due to "required" football training..

i think the NCHSAA should slack up the rules for baseball just like basketball and football..

6. recon0321

recon0321 Junior Member

The old phrase "if you snooze, you loose" I think applies in this question. It is true that you need to work in the off season but if the kids play football, basketball and baseball, there is no off season. The games are so specialize these days that the football coach wants you to work on football year round and the same for the basketball coach and baseball coach. My son is a baseball player and a very good athlete and he is constantly hounded by the football coach to play football but HE not ME chooses to work on his baseball year round and that is why he plays above his age. I quess the answer to the question is that it is up to the individial player on how committed he is to a specific sport or does he like being a good player at all sports.

7. catamount36

catamount36 Full Access Member

i was not referring to multiple sport athletes. i would hope no one would expect a player to do offseason workouts if his is involved in another sport at that time. i would never expect a football/baseball player work out with the baseball team during offseason workouts during the football season.

8. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

I definitely do not expect that, in fact I like my kids playing other sportsd as long as I get their full attention during baseball season, otherwise there is a problem. I would say that I like my kids to play other sports too, basketball, football, etc... while it maykeep them from sharpening their baseball skills, it does help them become more athletic, keeps them in shape, and provides a true means of competition. However, I have worked with coaches that I feel like I have had to outrecruit at my own school, because they want them all year!

Now if they aren't playing another sport... then if they want to play they should be at workout or they will not improve.

9. homerun4

homerun4 Full Access Member

kids should have the oportunity to play what sport is in season. now it seems like you have to specialize in 1 sport i do not agree with this. unless you just want to play 1 sport.

Football coaches are pushing kids away from baseball by trying to force the weight lifting, summer passing leagues, and camps,during summer which causes distractions with the team they play on.it seeems like you are in a recruting battle with the coaches.
    During the fall season they do not want there players participating in baseball on weekends , We need to step back and look at this picture and say let kids be kids.

Alot of top players in the state are not playing baseball because of this problem

As far as high school coaches not being able to coach in the fall that is a very stupid rule they should be able to coach ,why the stipulations on baseball and not football?

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Good question :huh: