1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Official Mens Tournament Update Thread

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by whspioneers, Feb 14, 2006.

1. jge1968

jge1968 Premium Member

Yeah, they sure are swell aren't they?

2. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

SC ended a very dissappointing season of underachievment. To much talent on this team to get worse as the season went on. I know most players and parents are hoping this ends the Crisp era at SC. If Crisp is out, hopefully the administration will look outside the school for a very quilified coach and don't do what they have with other sports and give someone the job just because they teach at the school

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  3. titan90

titan90 titan90

You have to believe that Casey Rogers will take over as Freedom's head coach very soon.
    MHS is playing pretty good ball right now. They have won 3 straight games. MHS has handled Alexander good in there first 2 meetings, but it is very hard to beat a decent team like Alexander 3 times in one season. The big question mark will be if Matt Evans is healthy for this game. He went down with an injury tonight and did not play the entire second half.
    With East Burke having home court advantage I look for them to hang tough with Reynolds and maybe even pull an upset.

4. jge1968

jge1968 Premium Member

Hope the young man is alright. The other night when they played Reynolds he was in way up into the 4th when the game was no longer in doubt. I can kind of understand some of the criticism the coach there gets. The game was no longer in doubt, they were up 20something points, and he was still in going hard to the basket. I was thinking to myself at that point that that wasn't a very smart decision to leave him in if he is one of the better players on the team. Those kind of things have a way of coming back to bite you. Again, I hope that he is okay and can play the next game. I am hoping that McDowell and Reynolds make it to the finals and meet for the third time this season. It would be fun to see both of those teams playing against each other with their "A" games.

5. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

Crest 81 North Gaston 62

A great way for the Chargers to open the Big South Tourney. It had everything from a Dion Malachai sky show to the smallest guy on the floor for Chargers, Bruce Smith, getting a block. North Gaston kept the game close early mainly due to the shooting of DJ Shives. Crest did a much better job in the second half of denying him the ball. Dion...Dion...Dion...Malacahi was making himself at home above the rim last night. One dunk came as he drove the baseline. I didn't think there was no way he would get it, but dang if he didn't. Another was a 2 hand stuff as he came straight off the floor for a rebound. He also stuffed one home off of a lobbed pass. Another good thing for Crest was their freethrow shooting. Even Rayshawn Roseboro seems to be getting a better feel at the line. Coach Ellis was also able to play a lot of guys in this game. I think all the guys that suited up for the Chargers saw court time. Jared Maddox led the Chargers with 20. Rayshwan Roseboro had 15, and Dion Malacahi added 14. Crest will take on Hunter Huss Thursday night at Ashbrook. It should be a great game.

6. UABBLAZERBALLA

UABBLAZERBALLA Full Access Member

Didn't y'all run off your last coach too? Looks like if I were looking for a job I would stay away from a place like that.

As far as Rogers goes, I heard Russ was planning to retire as AD and joey "chewbaca" (thats what he used to be called in the 80s and 90s) was gonna take over as AD. That would mean rogers would become head b-ball coach.

7. jge1968

jge1968 Premium Member

8. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

The coach before Crisp was one of the guidance counsolers at SC. He didn't last but about a month. There were some problems there that had nothing to do with basketball. The coach before him was very good and stayed there several years before taking a job in Davie County. As stated the problem with SC is that they almost always hire teachers who are at the school to be coaches whether they are qualified or not and most of the ones at SC are not. I'm not talking about just one sport either. Crisp is a very good man, much better than me and I have nothing against him it's just that the kids come out and give their best and we should give them our best as in the best coaches we can find in ALL sports

9. jge1968

jge1968 Premium Member

It's my understanding that he was the JV coach at one of the Henderson County schools and was told that he was a graduate assistant at a college, not sure which one. To me he sounds like he has some experience and wasn't just handed the job. It is my understanding that most schools won't hire someone that is going to be the head coach of a sport unless they are able to also have a job at the school or at least in the system if there aren't any at the said school. Even if that happens the principal will then try to find a way to get said coach into the school during the day one way or another as soon as possible. The main reason for this is discipline, having coaches around the school during the day and being seen helps with that. Thus, for someone to get a job as the head coach of basketball without working at the school that person would have to be a basketball legend without any baggage. That person would have to bring a lot to the table. Maybe SC has somebody like that in the community maybe not. Whatever the case a basketball program such as SC's will most likely have to rely on coaches without a ton of experience and allow them to grow, learn, and build a program. Otherwise, SC is always going to be a doormat for the other conference teams.

10. Red Bear

Red Bear Full Access Member