1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Official Mens Tournament Update Thread

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by whspioneers, Feb 14, 2006.

1. strike 3

strike 3 Full Access Member

2. UABBLAZERBALLA

UABBLAZERBALLA Full Access Member

Correct me if I am wrong but...wasn't Jeff Parham hired from within for women's basketball and baseball and wasn't Butch Carter hired from within for football. Those were some pretty good "from within" hires.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you reporter....we have to do remember that students do come first. And they are student-athletes first. But as I said in an earlier post, I will defend Crisp...I have known him as a good Christian man since I went to an FCA camp with him a few year back. But after knowing this area and its demographics, there isn't much men's basketball history there. Not many would want the job and I dare say not many could do better.

Wasn't Carter 1-10 his first or second year with football?

3. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

***NW4A Tournament Semifinals***

McDowell 53
    Alex. Central 31 (FINAL)

McDowell advances to the Championship Game, to play the winner of East Burke/Reynolds. A playoff spot is on the line for McDowell

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  4. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

This is not just happening at SC. You see it many places in Catawba County. There are certain principals that feel they can only hire young, inexperienced teachers. Those teachers are then forced to coach whether or not they are qualified to do so. Those young coaches, fearful for their jobs, do only as they're told. If succeeding in athletics is not near the top of the principal's list, then the kids get screwed.

At least at SC, they do support baseball.[/QUOTE]

SC has only had two baseball coaches and both were very good ,Lanford and now Paraham. Baseball is huge in Caldwell County and the comunity wouldn't stand for unqualified coaches at the high school. Thus look at all the conference championship on SC's wall. Plus a state championship. That is what you get when you have quality coaching. Look at football, in the first couple years of SC's exisitance we had a good coach and were successful even finishing state runner up one year. Then for many years SC went ot the " let our teachers coach theory" and the program fell to the cellar for many years. Then a couple years ago they went outside the school and hired a football coach who is not a teacher but a "coach" and now look at the program. No Carter was not hired from within he was an assistant at Lenoir Rhyne and is not a teacher. As for losing his first year or two he did but you could see the program going in the right direction. While not a football power they have been very successful lately even going further in the state playoffs than anyone in our conference this year. If they would hire coaches with the priority on ability to coach all the teams would be like that. As for Parham he was at SC waiting for Landford to retire so as to take over baseball. Basketball came along during the time and he took over a program that was already successful at that time and has done a good job there even though some bad breaks along the way hurt the teams.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  5. bigdan

Does anybody know who won the other semifinal game tonight between East Burke and AC Reynolds? :imagestor

6. UABBLAZERBALLA

East Burke won. They came from behind to win by 6. Simmons and Eby were in foul trouble most of the second half. Nichols had a good game for East Burke.

7. UABBLAZERBALLA

Reporter I am not arguing with you, but principals are now hand-cuffed by this highly qualified rule that is a part of the No Child Left Behind legislation. Teacher assistants have to have certain qualifications and since there are hourly employees, they can no longer coach. Other hourly employees such as custodians are also not allowed to coach. It basically boils down to legislation only allowing for certified teachers to work as coaches. many districts also put limits on letting their ILTs (beginning teachers) coach. so it makes it hard to find coaches. principals are handcuffed...

8. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

9. jge1968

jge1968 Premium Member

10. bigdan

***Boys Championship Game***

East Burke 29
    McDowell 37 (Halftime)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006