1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

opinions wanted: best 4a conference in n.c.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by moesyslak, Oct 29, 2005.

1. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

The last two seasons the Big East was fortunate to have 3 bonafide state contender type teams. Were it still intact, I don't believe that would be the case. Certainly Rose would likely be there every year, but the others don't have that consistency(imo). It is(was) a great baseball conference nonetheless. I just happen to think that ,year in-year out, the conferences in the metro areas are stronger top to bottom.

2. 007

007 Full Access Member

Too early ? Greenville Rose won 4 state championships in 10 years with the winningest coach in NC HS baseball.. Sorry, PT but that's a dynasty.
    Souther1- You are way too modest about the Big East, but I like it !

3. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

Part of the disagreement here is that people are interpreting the thread differently. If the question is "Which conference is the best", then in my opinion it really doesn't matter how many State Championships did a particular conference team win.

I take that question to mean what is the over all quality of the teams in the conference. How many teams in that particular conference's would go several rounds into the state playoffs given the opportunity?

That's not to say 4 time state champion Greenville Rose wasn't a great team. But how deep was their conference? Was Greenville Rose head and shoulders above the rest of the conference? Or was it a shoot out amongst 4 or 5 teams to make the state play offs? How did the rest of the teams fair against non-conference competition?

I don't know those answers as I'm more familiar with the now MECA-6, the NW4A, and the SW4A. My son plays in the MECA-6 and between the ones I'm more familiar with I'd have to say this coming season the SW4A is a very strong conference with the addition of Independence.

4. JM15

JM15 Moderator

If Greenville Rose HS baseball isn't a dynasty, I don't know what is.

5. 007

007 Full Access Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Let's see state championships really don't matter, but going several rounds into the state playoffs does matter. If that's Charlotte logic, please spare me next time.

6. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Until we start holding 3-game, championship series in places where BOTH teams' players have to sleep in hotel rooms, we'll never really know which is the better team.

The current, cozy relationship between the N.C.H.S.A.A. and the Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau that dictates that all championships be played in the Triangle provides a decided advantage to teams from the East; especially when 3 games are required to determine the champion.

State championship series should be rotated among at least 5 population centers: Wilmington, the Triangle, the Triad, Charlotte, and Asheville. If that were the case, state championships would often be played on truly neutral sites; and, when they were not, they'd advantage the West as often as the East.

7. FROZEN ROPES

FROZEN ROPES Member

Best teams/conferences?

The current playoff system does not even give you the best team. In a one game playoff you get the team the played the best, got the break, etc. that day. A 3 to 5 game series each round would give you a better indicator of the best teams, champion, etc.

However, with the alotted time and schedule, it is virtually impossible.

8. 007

007 Full Access Member

According to the new ADM numbers, the SW4A has six of the 10 biggest high schools in NC:
    2) Myers Park 2730
    3) South Meck 2516
    4) Providence 2482
    7) Butler 2413
    8) Independence 2404
    10) East Meck 2313

The concept of getting quality from quantity has been around since Branch Rickey was a young man and he's been dead for awhile.

Y'all in Charlotte have the numbers, just not the rings.

JH Rose 1673

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

No 007...I believe what yankee is saying is that you can have one or two terrific teams in a conference...one may even win the State Championship, but does that make them the best conference, when everybody else in that conference is struggling?

I dunno...there are so many strong conferences each year and the landscape changes from year to year.

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

My mama can beat your mama....1972

J/K 007...you da man. Heck, if it wasn't for Providence, we would be shutout