1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Percent that play in college?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by EastOfRaleigh, Apr 17, 2012.

1. CatchersDad

CatchersDad Senior Member

Fun-Yes & NO!

Stik & Cd
    I would agree to a point about the Fun part and about eliminating it for a few. I have and continue to coach 18U, the trick I think is to educate and place demands upon the players so that they adjust to the rigors of college ball. The true college players embrace the challenges as Fun especially those who have determination, drive and love for the game. I also agree that a lot of parents do push the college softball experience which they should, however it is not for everyone.
    I have a daughter who was recruited at a high level DII program three years ago. Like most recruits she won every honor in HS, State, District, Conference, Prom Queen and so on, a very talented and smart individual. As a Freshman she saw limited time, and had good stats for the small amount of time played. She continued working on her game beyond the team functions all Freshman season with little to know response from the coach. Sophomore year again limited playing time, actually less. Obviously, confused and somewhat ticked off with the situation she dedicated her Summer between Sophomore and Junior years to a personal trainer and becoming more proficient at another position. At this time she was most physically fit and after spending the summer with a personal trainer 3-times per week she became even more so. She work out at the new position, one in which she was rookie of the year at in HS, with a former high level D1 player and became very proficient. Fall of her Junior year again saw limited to non-existing playing time. By this point she had totally lost respect for the coaching staff, citing double standards, favoritism, and politics and a few other things best not mentioned. I convinced her to give it another try, to continue to work on her game and stay with the team at least until the Spring, so that she could see if any opportunity was there. Again, she was passed by. Many conversations were initiated by her with the coaching staff over her collegiate seasons, asking what she could do and of course why she was not getting opportunities. The responses were always inconsistent and filled with the double standard she had mentioned. My daughter was one of those who gave all she had and then some to the game she loved, only to let it go with no opportunities or hope of seeing playing time her Junior and most likely her Senior years. She did have the guts to tell her team mates and the coaching staff in a polite manner, in the locker room that she was leaving. She later heard what the coach had to say to the team after she had left the locker room, "There goes a lot of wasted talent". I'm sure each young woman who stops playing college softball has their own story and reasons why. It was for mine always Fun until someone made it not!
    Dad

2. PiedmontSB#6

PiedmontSB#6 Senior Member

her choice?

For my daughters benefit and others out there. Did your DD chose this school because of heavy recruiting or that she just wanted to go to that school because it was a favorite school type thing?

3. CatchersDad

CatchersDad Senior Member

She was recruited by several schools. We picked the school based upon "if your softball career ended would you still want to go to school there?"
    She did have many options to transfer to another program, however, she would not leave the school.
    PS. Academics are why we go to college, softball is just a bonus.
    Dad

4. Biggies_Mom

Biggies_Mom Full Access Member

My Daughter

Ryanne played TB since she was 10 yrs old and went on to play D-1 college ball for 4 years and graduated with honors....great experience, she did outstanding, conference player of the year along with Easton, State and Northeastern alcolades...in the NCAA history books for RBI's and Doubles....all girls should play ball, they develop great leadership and team skills...now she's paving a career as a Nurse....Girl Power!

Many girls that she played TB went onto play college ball, at least half of the team.....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. PiedmontSB#6

PiedmontSB#6 Senior Member

Yes

Correct... Believe me, that's what I tell my girl that everyday.

She asked the other day how much does a pro softball player get paid? I said about 10K for 3 months of work. Then I told her a nurse or IT person could make as much as 75k. She said they must like to play SB for fun to only make that small amount.

6. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

Actually, about 8K...... unless you got sponsor / equipment deals that pay you.

7. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

Lots of things I comment on here

First. Virtually any travel ball player who wishes to play college ball can. There is a D2 or D3 SOMEWHERE that will allow the girl play. Of course Dad may be paying for her to play but she'll be playing none-the-less. I'm not endorsing this, just stating what I know to be true.

Second. In my experience somewhere between 60 to 70 percent of freshman D1 players play for four years. Yes, some schools and some classes don't do this well but if you look closely you'll find this to be true. Things are a bit different at D2 & D3. As commitment to the game and financial incentives vary more.

Third. There are ballplayers and there are girls who play softball. On most travel ball teams it seems only about 1/3 of girls are ballplayers. These are kids who love the game for the game. Their identity is wrapped up in the game the same way many of their male counterparts is. For the other 2/3 softball is just another activity. It's fun and they like to play but it's not integral to their self-image. Truth is many of these 'girls playing softball' do go on to college ball. However, to be truly successful, especially in the major league softball (D1), you have to be "all in". This requires committing in a manner that's very risky. Ballplayers can't help themselves. They committed at an early age and will see it through even if it doesn't go as well as they expect. Some the ballplayers leave the game physically broken or heart broken; but for most college ball is a joyous experience. Girls who are playing ball may decide the risk (or rewards) of going "all in" just isn't worth it.

8. stiksdad

stiksdad Full Access Member

Very well spoken Duke, I particularly agree with what you said about how the ladies identify themselves as players as a major part of their life. Those that will go all in for softball, thats the major difference. The commitment is huge and not necessarily are the most talented players willing to make that commitment, which is ok because it leaves the door open for good players who truely love the game and want to compete at the highest level possible.

9. Throwing Heat

Throwing Heat and Catching Heat

Some Statistics

According to the NCAA, only two percent of high school athletes are awarded a full or partial scholarship to play at the collegiate level.
    When I was coaching a Showcase softball team in NC, I would often hear numbers like this and looked for others to validate these numbers.
    The 'Softball Excellence' website is quoted as follows:
    70 percent of kids quit playing sports by age 13 -- and never play them again (source: National Alliance for Sports). I was a little league president and can tell you this number is pretty close to what I observed. Once those girls and boys hit 13, they decided their interests were not in softball and baseball.
    2,250,000 youth softball players in the US (approx 150,000 teams)
    235,360 High School softball players in the US (14,710 teams)
    915 Total NCAA colleges with softball Programs (all 3 divisions). This number may have changed over the last few years, but probably still a pretty reliable representation.
    262 Division 1 and 253 Division 2 colleges that offer softball scholarships
    4,965 total NCAA softball scholarships available.
    1 in 500 softball players will be awarded a NCAA College Softball Scholarhip
    With that said, a player should be looking to play college softball because they truly love the game and want to continue playing. There are opportunities at all levels of college and all levels of talent to continue to play, but the commitment to the game still needs to be the same. For those just wanting to play and have fun, a lot of D1 schools have 'club softball teams'.
    I played college softball because I never wanted to stop playing and got a college degree to boot.
    Some of my players on my travel showcase team went on to play college softball(D1-D3) and some just decided to go to college because the colleges they were interested in attending did not recruit them. Remember...you will be at that college for 4 years, so you better like the college. Coaches change, but the college won't(unless you transfer).