1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Perfect Game WWBA 18U Nationals

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by hotbox, Jul 10, 2006.

1. hotbox

hotbox Full Access Member

North Carolina teams in this weeks 18U WWBA Perfect Game event are:

South Charlotte Panthers
    Fungo Red Sox
    On Deck O's
    Carolina Cubs
    Charlotte Express

South Carolina teams

Team Carolina Blue
    Team Carolina Red
    Diamond Devils
    Upstate Mavericks

Game 1

South Charlotte Panthers 2

Top Tier (Illinois) 8

Losing Pitcher: Justin Schumer (5-2) 4 IP; 3 H; 4 K; 3 ER
    ....................Nick Fogleman 3 IP; 5 H; 4 K; 3 ER

Winning Pitcher: Altback

Leading Hitters: SCP - Michael Melton(E. Rutherford) 2-2; David Mailman(Providence) 2-3(2B); Justin Schumer(UNCA) 1-2; Kolby Epley(Forbush) 1-2 (2B); Erik Sommerville(Francis Marion) 1-3; Whit Merrifield(Davie) 1-3 (28 game hitting streak).

SCP 23-6

2. CCSNews

CCSNews Full Access Member

Seems like they really are risking wearing their arms out with 2+ wks of perfrct game competition.

3. honker58

honker58 Banned From TBR

Who coaches that team now, i hope not Hutchins still.

Before everyone gets all up in a hissy, I should have read my post. It should have read I hope that Hutchins still does

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  4. baseballmom34

baseballmom34 Full Access Member

The South Charlotte Panthers have 9 pitchers on the roster:

1. Justin Schumer
    2. Michael Caldwell
    3. Kyle Greenwalt
    4. Zack Parmer
    5. Eric Sommerville
    6. Nick Fogleman
    7. Michael Melton
    8. Corey Norman
    9. Josh Salay

My son pitched on Wednesday July 5th and will pitch again tomorrow Tuesday July 11th, that's 6-days rest. If anything my son would like to pitch more. The utmost consideration is given to the health of the pitching staff's arms. I am not saying that there is not abuse of pitcher's at this level, but I will say I have not experienced it with the South Charlotte Panthers.

Don Hutchins is a class act that needs no defending. The success of his team and the athletes as individuals speaks volumes. My son has had opportunities and doors opened for him that I dare say he would never had experienced as a kid from Yadkin County had it not been for this team, its players, coaches, families and friends.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  5. MPDad05

MPDad05 Junior Member

That was a cheap shot and completely unwarranted. I am glad to say that Don Hutchins is still at the center of the South Charlotte Panthers, surrounded by other dedicated coaches and parents (Baseball Mom at the forefront) who travel with and take care of this team - our extended summer family for the past three years. Without Hutchins, the SCPs would have been defunct a long time ago.

6. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Carolina Cubs tied their first game 2-2 vs the Onario Blue Jays. Both teams scored two in the first and that was all. BJ Dail went the distance for the Cubs. Also, add the Dirtbags to the list of NC teams.

7. hitstreak

hitstreak Junior Member

Don Hutchins is a class act and surrounds himself with quality parents and players. Why would anyone take a shot at someone like Don, who loves baseball and loves to compete. He is a major reason why the quality of baseball in the Carolinas is as good as anywhere in the country. Hats off to Don!

8. eterres

eterres Member

Charlotte Express - 2
    Chattanooga Cyclones - 7

LP: Matt Bjorkstrom (CE & Butler HS) 6 1/3 innings, 8 hits, 7 runs, 5 BB's, 4 K's
    WP: Kyle Clayton (CC) 6 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs, 3 BB's, 4 K's

Mike Vaughn (CE & Hopewell HS) 2-2, BB, run, SB

Report I got was that 4 errors and a couple of base running mistakes did in the Express in what was, otherwise, a close game. I believe only three of the Cyclones runs were earned.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  9. baseballmom34

baseballmom34 Full Access Member

Hey, we all make mistakes! You're forgiven! Hope you will continue to support South Charlotte Panthers baseball!

10. hotbox

hotbox Full Access Member

Game 2

South Charlotte Panthers 5

Twitty City Knights 2

Winning Pitcher: Corey Norman (Forbush) (4-0) 6 IP; 6 H; 2 K; 74 Pitches
    .......................Michael Caldwell (Charlotte Christian) 1 IP; 1 K; Save (1)

Losing Pitcher: Brothers

Leading Hitters: Preston Shuey (South Meck) 2-3 (SB); David Mailman (Providence) 1-1 (RBI, SB); Michael Melton (E. Rutherford) 1-3; Whit Merrifield (Davie) 1-3 (2/SB); Erik Sommerville (Francis Marion) 1-3.

The Panthers go 1-1 in pool play with a key match up with C. Florida Wednesday night.

SCP 24-6