1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Pitcher goes to 179 last night

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by SoutherNo1, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Strike-em-out

Strike-em-out Full Access Member

:whoopass:

2. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Junior Member

I have been a lurker on here for quiet sometime. Baytree on another board actually referred me here months ago and I finally decided I would pipe in on this subject.
    I have also seen this to many times, I saw a very good pitcher (D1 commit) throw over 140 pitches against us while down by 8 runs a few years ago and it was tearing his dad apart to sit and watch it. I think sometimes parents are hoping that the current batter is the last guy he will face and they won’t have to get involved but it keeps going on and on. The real interesting thing is that for some pitchers, 60 pitches is too much and that is mostly due to conditioning, yet I have seen pitchers with 110 pitches still have strong legs and drive. We tend to think that all HS coaches are pitching coaches and that is not always the case. I don’t consider myself an exceptional pitching coach but I do know when a pitcher has lost his legs and gone more to his arm. I normally look for the length of stride and where his landing foot hits in the first inning; if you watch it closely you will notice the stride start getting smaller and smaller as the pitches go. Many times it will change 6 to 8 inches during an inning if they are gassed. The worst thing about the kid I mentioned above is me and his father thought he was left in there to keep it from being a 10 run mercy rule. The sad thing is it will happen again and again unless a rule is put into place to stop it since some grown men can’t manage it themselves.
    I like this board, it has spell check![​IMG]

3. cbsconsult

cbsconsult Full Access Member

Pitch Count....

Just curious.....I count every pitch my pitchers throw...including pregame warmup and between innings.....that coach could very well have done the same thing and someone quoted the number......

Just curious....

4. baseballfan46

baseballfan46 Member

As a parent when my son was in high school, I had a pitch counter in my hand and made sure that I knew how many pitches he threw. Now in college I keep a book to keep his stats and also I count his pitches but I have never had to get concerned so far. He has been lucky with concerned coaches who only had the players best interest at heart. I guess he has been lucky. And you know, cbsconsult could be right....

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Dang, been here for 8 years and never knew there was spell check. Would it have helped?.................nah...just means I would have to click on something else.

6. GloveSide

GloveSide Full Access Member

Aint this some crap.

Due to the fact that Ive had a VERY bad day at the field with the organization that Im working with, Im going to point out the very painful obvious

Are you kidding me? 179 pitches? Ok. I like to think I don't know jack, but anybody with a melon for a brain can figure this one out. 15-25 per innings is max. ANYONE can see this. ANYONE!

If your pitcher is at the high side of that 15-25 per inning ratio then IMO look for relief and look early. Heck, even if you are at the low end of that ratio Im looking towards the relief. Thats not pitching if you are getting into that 15-25 ratio. Effective pitching is NOT getting into that ratio! Who does not get this?

180 pitches per 7 innings equals: 25 per inning average. Pitchers at any level can't go EFFECTIVELY much past a couple of innings doing this.

If that was my son he would not have pitched that. 70-80 pitches tops.
    Id insist my son hand in his jersey. Id rather play catch with him in the back yard then watch him recoup from SURGERY!

I have expletives to describe what I think of that coach. If you would like to hear them PM me.

IMO

7. tj21

tj21 Moderator

... spell check? :stoned2:

8. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

Glad you came over WP. That was me that referred you from NCPREPS. I've been hearing very good things about a SS at S. Lee. Hope all is going well for you guys.

9. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

I know it's there just don't know how to use it.....:weeping:

10. COACH DIGGS

COACH DIGGS Junior Member

What complete IDIOTS! And I am referring to the kid who pitched those pitches, the Coach who let him do it, the Parents who allowed it and I am not so hesitant to say that the fans who stayed to witness such mess aren't IDIOTS AS WELL! The Coach should be fired and be kicked in his rear!!