1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Pitcher takes all the credit

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by iluvsoftball, Apr 29, 2008.

1. iluvsoftball

iluvsoftball Junior Member

I need to get this off my mind - didn't see the news last night, but was told that the WJHS pitcher was on NBC17. It seems that she is a 1 person team, because no one mentions the 8 other girls that back her up. If it weren't for the defense, there wouldn't be no-hitters. Speaking of no-hitters, I don't agree with that term - if the batter hits, but the defense makes the play it shouldn't be considered a no-hit for the pitcher. The WJHS defense is awesome and I wish the news folks would recognize that. She is not a Sarah Jackson. Girls hit her pitches, but the defense makes the plays. She is a great ball player, but she needs to recognize that this is a TEAM sport and should give credit where credit is due! :shout:

2. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

and I need to get this off my chest...

Our coach up here has stopped calling the paper and giving scores because of parents who whine and complain about heir DD not being mentioned. These parents call the AD or the administration and complain. And folks wonder why coaches sit back and play it safe; dont coach; dont say anything that might upset anybody's apple cart? Everybody gets treated the same, bad kids get to play over more deserving kids just so they can feel "a part", awards are not given out and everything is dumbed down to the mean.

If a player is hitless, fails to make a significant play in the field or otherwise doesnt do something to WARRENT receiving publicity they dont deserve the da da da..... da da da!

NOBODY forces anyone to play HS sports... if a feel good experience is what is desired hold hands and sing Kumbayah!

this rant is not specifically directed at you but the timing isnt good based on circumstances where we lace 'em up.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. CougarCoach

CougarCoach Full Access Member

Yeah, but....

if they win the State Championship, the record books will show that WJHS won it, not the pitcher. If you will look at all the sports you'll find that the one that controls the ball the most is the one that gets the attention...football is the quarterback, baseball is the pitcher, basketball is the point guard, etc., etc.

My DD was a very good pitcher and she received a lot of recognition over her high school career, winning several awards. She always gave credit to her teammates and was quick to say their defense was the difference in winning and losing...but...had she not been throwing the ball correctly and making the batters keep the ball on the ground or popping up, things would have been a lot different.

As long as the pitcher is doing her job and doing it successfully, she will always be the center of attention...nothing wrong with that, because she is just doing her job. Everyone on the team has to do their particular job and do it well to be successful.

Conversely, if the pitcher is not doing a good job...who is the first one that gets blamed? You have to realize that most pitchers work harder and put in more hours perfecting their skills than anyone else on the team. After practice when the other girls have finished batting and infield / outfield, the pitchers stay behind and work for another half hour to an hour, not to mention the time they spend in the off season (every day). In my humble opinion, the pitching position is the most skilled position, the most time consuming and requires the most heart...the successful pitchers deserve all the attention that they get.

4. iluvsoftball

iluvsoftball Junior Member

I agree...

with what you're saying - It is ashamed that parents complain to the coach about playing time, news articles, etc. Play to win, not to make everyone happy. I could care less if my DD is mentioned in the paper, or sits the bench, would just be nice if the whole TEAM was mentioned, not just 1 person. There is no TEAM with just a pitcher. I don't agree with parents complaining to the coach or AD, it is the player's place to speak to the coach if she has a problem.

5. Micweiser

Micweiser Full Access Member

Both very good points. Lot's of blind parents !! As far as pitchers they do work harder than rest. But when you have a good defense behind you, it makes it much easier. You can go after batters, and not have to worry about striking everyone out.

6. EnkaMom12

EnkaMom12 Full Access Member

I don't know the situation, but let's give her the benefit of the doubt.
    These are kids, not professionals that are more media savvy.
    You all but gave us her name on a public forum, which in my opinion is inapproriate.

7. crybabies

crybabies Full Access Member

How do you figure a pitcher works harder than the rest????????????

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

:clap:

9. erms

erms Full Access Member

Don't know about all but with the ones I do know about......Take all the hitting and fielding drills,all the running done by the team for the week....then add 8 to 12 hours per week of nothing but throwing on their own after practice, night, and weekends... I think you would agree they work harder to make their contribution to the TEAM.. and the important part is team...the extra is what it takes for them to do their job and they better know they are only 1 of 9 on the field.
    JMO
    ERMS

10. Micweiser

Micweiser Full Access Member

Pitchers have to work during off season, pitching lessons, & throwing at home , away from school. Are involved in every pitch, so they burn up more energy during game. OK, I know what you're looking for, & yes catchers are hard workers also. Are involved with every pitch, & is hot in summer with all the gear on. A good catcher can make or break a pitcher, goes unrecognized alot, but are very key !!!