1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Politics in High School Baseball

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by coachevans26, Dec 5, 2003.

1. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

At the risk of starting something here, I am going to say something some here are not going to like. Reading this thread I get a sense that there are some here that just couldn't handle their kid not starting from day one at the HS level. So as we normally do today, we have to blame someone so the coach is an easy target. If my kid isn't a star like he was in little league (when I was coaching him), then there must be something wrong with the HS coaching staff. Can't they see how wonderful my kid is?

I am hardpressed to believe there are many HS coaches out there that would jeopardize wins to "play favorites". JMHO.

2. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

I agree 100% Coach....all things equal, it should be the "Seniors" position to lose....he has earned the right to have that opportunity.

I know this thread is about "Politics" but I have got to believe when it is all said and done that MOST Coaches will do what is best for the team.

3. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

agree

I agree that coaches play the kids that will give team's best chance at success, & that's the way it should be. BUT I also do believe that if all things are equal , many coaches will play a "favorite", by that I mean they will play the kid that brings more intangibles and a morale boost to the team....example if 2 kids are equal talent & skills level and in same class but one kid is more of a extrovert and the other is less socially outgoing, the coach may favor the extrovert because it will help with overall team bonding / attitude / morale. I think this is just a natural response by a coach.

opinions on this?

4. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

A lot sooner than High School

Are you surprised? This is the exact same way these parents have behaved since Johnny was 9 years old. He's been dragged from team to team to team because amazingly his parents are the only ones who actually see his true talent. He's a starting Shortstop (damn it!) and if you don't bat him 3rd and play him every inning of every game then we'll just change teams.....again.

They'll pull some stats out of their butt that Johnny has an OBP of .637 between the hours of 5pm and 6pm when his team is winning by more than 3 runs and the Pitcher is 5'8" or less. That right there should tell you he's a better leadoff batter than that kid you've put in the lineup. When the Mom keeps her own scorebook (at age 10) because she wants to have the facts when she second guesses the "volunteer" coach you know you've got a future High School problem.

Accountability and a realistic approach are needed here. Ask the players who THEY think should be playing (and where) and you'll see the exact same assessment that the coaches came up with. The kids know Johnny doesn't belong at Shortstop. And truth be told, Johnny knows it too. He just can't figure out how to break it to his Old Man.

5. BaseballMan

East of Raleigh

You may have hit the nail on the head. I don't consider things like attitude, leadership, etc things coaches use to play favorites. O consider them a big part of the tools a kid brings to the table. And that is where so many parents can't see the whole picture and the word "favoritism" comes in. I can name you countless examples of players that were not the best athletes on their team but were the MVPs. Good coaches can see more than 60 times, arm strength, and batting practice homers. They know who gets it done in the clutch. Who can battle through adversity. Who can make the players around them better. All the things a parent might not want to understand about their child.

6. BaseballMan

And Another Thing

I breaks my heart to see a kid look in dispair as their parent makes a fool out of themselves at a game or practice. As someone said, the players have a much better idea of who should play where than the parents do. Just let the coaches coach and the players play and try not to poison your kid with ideas that the coach is playing favorites.

7. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

aguyyouknow....great line....I love it:satana:

8. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Intangibles (Makeup) Make the Difference!

Even the Pro Scouts have a rating for the intangibles. This is not playing favorites. It's the (slim) difference that often gives the edge to one player over another. I'm not a big stats guy but I love BA with Runners in Scoring Position! Can you get the run(s) home? Anybody can hit for average against the #5 starter when the outcome is no longer in doubt.

Will you dig in and play when it really matters.............or will you look up and down the bench for someone else to step up and save the day? Do you want the ball in the bottom of the 9th or not? And, when you fail (and you often will) will you be able to say you went all out and will you take responsibility (or will you play the blame game)?

The differences are slim in baseball. That's why it sometimes takes 162 games to find out who is 1 game better than somebody else!

Work ethic and attitude and that "go getter" mentality matter! That's why the Seniors are relied upon to lead. By the way, it's the same way in College Baseball. The Senior Class had better step up and lead or else you're in for a long season.

9. moesyslak

moesyslak Banned From TBR

remember the sr is at his athletic ceiling and is probably not going to get while the underclassmen is that good now but is nowhere near his athletic ceiling. if you play the sr you retard the growth of the younger kid so you hurt your program in the long run or should the sr play just because he was born a year or 2 earlier?

10. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Leadership

Mo,
    I didn't intend to suggest that leadership and playing time have to go hand in hand. If a Soph is your best hitter he bats 4th. There are lots of ways to "lead." One of my old teammates was our Captain in college. He was a utility guy who could play 3rd or 1st or even Catch in a pinch. He'd step right up and catch 2/3 of BP any time (without being asked). He also could fill in out in RF too. He was an important leader for us and an awesome teammate. He went on to Coaching and has been a Head Coach in college for almost 20 years.................but that year we played a Freshman (All-American) at 1B because he could flat out rake!