1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Polls

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Mudcat, Apr 2, 2009.

1. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Karlrocket, I like about where you have Lake Norman and East Rowan, not sure about putting Carson over Mooresville though, but Carson has done well so far. I just aint sold on them staying up with the big boys,,,, if they do, I'll eat my words.

To be fair, hey Coach27, you know how good East Rowan is, their 7 ranking is about right for now (given their loss to LNorman). Give us the scoop on top eastern teams in comparison to how you think they would stack up against an "East Rowan". That would help. Thanks.

Yea, everybody knows about Ragsdale and Rocky Mount, they're good every year....

2. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

tj21, I think Carson deserves that spot for now because they beat Mooresville in their first game 9-5. You know, give the team some credit. The rematch is 4-14-09. We'll see if they can continue to play well. This is only for fun. There is a fine line between winning & losing with all of the teams I've ranked. I took in the Rocky Mount-D.H. Conley game today & there was very little difference between them. The pitching was good for both teams. Only 5 hits by each team. Rocky Mount got 2 key hits in the game (Home run by Collins Cuthrell, & game -winning RBI by Brian Goodwin in seventh) & that was the difference. The playoffs are going to be fun. Some good teams may go home early if they don't start hitting the ball. This poll will change quickly as more conference games are played across the state.

3. karlrocket

Polls Are Tough: Check This Out:

Check out this chain of events in Eastern North Carolina baseball:
    D.H. Conley lost to Northern Nash, who lost to Rocky Mount, who lost to Greenville Rose, who lost to D.H. Conley, who today lost to Rocky Mount.

These teams are beating each other up!

4. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

The

east in 3A baseball is very tough this year. First of all you have Rocky Mount , Eastern Wayne , DH Conley who I believe are the top 3 teams overall. But then you have several teams that on a given day with the right guy on the mound can beat any of those three teams. The same can be said for the west. I believe the west may be a little deeper with East Rowan , Lake Norman , Mooresville and Ragsdale but again there are several teams that can beat any of those teams on a given night.

I believe East Rowan stacks up against anyone in the state east or west. If Shive gets healthy and can give them some quality innings either as a closer or finish some games off , if he does not come back to a full starters role they will be capable of being in the finals once again. There is not one dominant team out there but many very good teams. Plus the biggest factor will be who is playing their best baseball when it matters the most?

Right now

#1- Rocky Mount
    #2- Eastern Wayne
    #3- Ragsdale
    #4- Lake Norman
    #5- East Rowan
    #6- Mooresville
    #7- DH Conley
    #8- Oxford Webb
    #9- Southpoint
    #10- West Brunswick

Some based on performance so far - some based on past performance when it matters the most - the rest based on who they have on their team and how they perform in the clutch when you got to have it.

This is my poll not the Impact poll that will come out next week.

5. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Thanks Coach,,, and Karlrocket, I do give Carson credit, they've got the folks up in that area excited this year, they've had a very good start, my question is how will they finish, remember they've got to play 6 more games against East Rowan, West Rowan, Lake Norman and Mooresville,,, and yes while they did beat Mooresville that one time,,, East Rowan hammered them something like 9-1. Bottomline, that NPC is one very tough league, and with Carson that gives them a solid FIVE teams that could win some playoff games at the end of the season.

For those not that familiar with Lake Norman, don't worry about ranking them so highly, because after seeing them in person, they deserve it. That bunch can play, and everyone knew they had one of the best pitchers in the state (Lomascola), but they clearly have more than just him. A tall righty Ross Whitley came in the final 2 innings throwing gas, and LNorman also swings the sticks very well and has scored a lot of runs this year too,,,,,,, honestly didn't see much of their defense because Lomo just struck everdamnbody out. :2guns:

One other team I notice nobody has mentioned is Marvin Ridge (8-1). I realize the SPC has been down somewhat, but Marvin Ridge was a new school last year with no seniors and won that league, and they're running away with it again this year.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  6. RedSoxFan

RedSoxFan Full Access Member

Polls from the West

I saw Kevin's poll (definitely from the West) but still haven't seen yours.

I am curious how different yours is from the others that are predominately from the middle and Eastern part of the state.

7. karlrocket

North Piedmont: Strongest Conference

tj21, I will concede that the North Piedmont is the strongest 3A conference in the state. From top to bottom, there is no comparsion. The Eastern part of the state has alot of top-heavy conferences.

NEW 6: Rocky Mount, Wilson Fike, & Northern Nash.
    Coastal: D.H. Conley & South Central.
    Mid-State: Oxford Webb, & Southern Alamance.
    ECC: Eastern Wayne, & C.B. Aycock.

Just to name a few.

But, whoever emerges out of the East will be very strong!

The East has won the last 5 state 3A Titles, I believe. Whoever, emerges out of the North Piedmont will have to contend with some strong Western teams.(Ragsdale, South Point, Marvin Ridge, etc.) Some very good match-ups lie ahead!

8. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Maybe I didn't make myself clear,,, I have not meant to slight the eastern teams in no way shape or form,,, I am well aware of eastern success at the state championships. I simply am not as familiar with the eastern teams, and that is why I ask the question.

As for the NPC, I wouldn't say top to bottom its the best league, because the bottom teams are on a different level from the top teams. But this year if you take East Rowan, Lake Norman, Mooresville, West Rowan and (now) Carson,,, yes those 5 teams could probably get on the field with anyone.

9. karlrocket

No,tj21, I didn't take it that you were downing the East. I was just pointing out that most of the Eastern 3A conferences don't go but 2 or 3 deep each year with strong contenders. I'm well aware that the North Piedmont sent 6 strong teams into the playoffs last year & did well. (winning 5-6 in the 1st round) It looks like the North Piedmont is strong again & will probadly send another 5 teams this year.

10. tj21

tj21 Moderator

10-4.

I would like to see/hear more about Marvin Ridge(8-1) though, for whatever reason their conference has been down,,, even still they have won a lot of ballgames the last 2 years and you just don't hear anything about them. Granted, they did go one and done in last year's playoffs I believe,,, they just need to beat some quality teams to get on folks' radar. Hope to see them sometime this year.