1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Pre Season predictions for High School Softball

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Aug 27, 2007.

1. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

Well, point is we still have the same coach from last year and if anything they're trying to get stability in the program. Yet the reasoning behind your prediction (as you stated) had nothing to do with that. Your stated comments would have made more sense if we did have a new coach this year, that why ladiesfan questioned you.

Anyway back to the predictions...I think Alexander and Freedom will be the top two in the conference. Taylorsville has always been big time in softball, with most everybody coming back they're pretty well set. Freedom was able to keep Hasson and Conley on their team so they'll be strong. I think McDowell bringing back a tough duo of pitchers and a solid lineup could finish in the top half of the conference again this year, it will be interesting to see who replaces Fields behind the plate. I thought she was a pretty good player at that position. Watauga was the only team I didn't see last year so I can't make a fair judgement on them. Reynolds, East Burke and Watauga could finish in any sequence. Finally you got South Caldwell, I just hope they can perform better just for the sanity of all on this message board...it got kinda ugly on here at times last spring.

2. baseballmom

baseballmom Member

More than likely Fields will be replaced by her little sister Jordan. Jordan did all the J.V. catching last year and does a good job defensively. Room for improvement with the bat but anyway she will more than likely take over the catching duties and be a 3 year starter!!

3. baseballmom

baseballmom Member

Oh Yeah and the young man that Coached for McDowell was Coach Barry Pace. He coached there 5 years. Their current Coach was one of his players (catcher) Katriona Smith... She is now Katriona Young.

4. Steelergal

Steelergal Full Access Member

East have a coach yet? You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't have a coach that knows what they are doing, it doesn't really matter. Talent can only take you so far. Cheeze you never give us enough credit..........5th

5. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

i'm really not taking anything away from southpoint coach, east gaston could win with very little coaching, my understanding is that they are getting the jv softball coach from last year and a travel ball coach for the assistant coaches spot, who does know whats he's doing.

crest has some excellent pitching and offensive players returning and some great upcoming freshmen/sophmores who will handily replace what was lost last year.

ashbrook has ali short coming back and they will contend even with the loss of brittany walker

north gaston will make their usual run in the first half, with stronger and smarter pitching and five travel ball players.

in 4a, i see it as east gaston, crest and ashbrook

in 3a, i see it as north gaston/southpoint battling it out for first and then huss and forestview.

overall, based on a discussion with two other coaches, i will make one modification and move southpoint to the fourth spot and ashbrook to the fifth spot.

now, if the transfer from out of state goes to south point as rumored, i see this as a whole new lineup, with south point dominating 3a.

coach, i always hope we find a way to beat your team, and we've had some really close games and quite a few extra inning games in the past 5 years. i always see south point as a contender based, not on your players, but on the coaching staff and everyone in the conference knows better than to sit on your heels during a south point game. hey, i'm pullin for your team against ng and fv, and any 4a team, as hh and sp have a more friendly competative thing going than the other two.

coach, i've tried to predict this with some solid facts, as much as you can in preseason with the knowledge of current coaching capabilities and returning players. its hard, but its an honest guess with no dogs in the race on this side. i dont think that a 3a team will contend for 1st or 2nd for another season, and honestly would like to be proven wrong, but the travel ball programs that feed crest, eg, ng and ashbrook are running pretty strong right now. the only way i can see it changing is if a transfer occurs that i dont have the facts about, like a girl from wv or va, who's dad works for duke power, who supposedly led her hs team to the state title. but these are just rumors, right?????? anyway, good luck this year, prove me wrong as usual and yes, i'm getting used to the taste of shoe leather after five years of being wrong in some way or another.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  6. erms

erms Full Access Member

What travel ball program feeds crest?

7. cheeze105

if memory serves me right, crossfire(before they folded, if they folded as rumored), cv storm and the team ladiesbballfan started last year(sorry barry, cant remember team name).

8. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

No problem Ed, but the only 2 Crest players (upper classmen anyway) that I know are playing, Blanton is with CV Storm and one plays for McDowell Rage. The older Crossfire teams aren't playing anymore. None of my current players go to Crest. One of the 12-U teams are predominantly Crest, and their middle school team should be tough, and like you said, the high school has the players. I would chime in and say they need to be playing in the summer and fall though, especially when you have to compete with the likes of AC, Freedom, and the other 4A schools in the playoffs.

Sorry, I forgot, their are 2 sophomores who play with one of the Rally Katz.

9. cheeze105

thanks barry for straightening me out, lefty should be playing along with others as well, lots of talent on this team. i did know about the middle school and they will be tough in the near future.

again, thanks

10. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

Southwestern 2A/3A

We will be watching Morgan Childers down at Spartanburg, so can Kings Mtn. hold on to the top spot in the conference, much less in the playoffs?

1. East Rutherford
    1. Kings Mtn.
    1. RS Central

Which team and coach wants it the most? It will be tight.

4. Chase
    5. Burns
    6. Shelby

With Morgan gone, I can't help but think Enka may come out of the West this time to help represent the 3A, but their are some other tough mountain teams as well.

I don't know the whole Lincolnton conference, but West Lincoln and Cherryville has good pitching. I don't know if North Lincoln has a pitcher coming up, and they lost a lot of firepower, 2 of which will be down at Upstate also!