1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Preventing arm injuries

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by 007, Mar 10, 2005.

1. DCbaseball

DCbaseball Superman

overuse

how do you strengthen your arm during the season when the doctor says you're having overuse issues? I spent all winter on a strength and conditioning program, but when the season comes around my arm is still not in shape. What are ways to deal with this while still being able to log innings?

I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with this. thanks

2. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Another good question....

Preseason, use a graduated Long Toss program to slowly build up the arm. Start at 40 feet (10 throws), working back to 60, then back in ... About 50 throws total, nothing longer than 60 feet, everything on a line, but nothing hard. Day two would be 10 throws at 40-50-60-70-60-50 ... Day three would be 40-50-60-70-80-70-60.

Work back 10 feet per day, gradually increasing the distance and the number of throws. If you ever feel soreness, shorten up your routine and go back a couple days on the schedule.

Do this until you can get out to about 150 feet. By then, your arm will be in shape for the season.

Work with the bands to strengthen your rotator cuff. The weight room adds strength, but doesn't prepare your arm to throw.

It takes at least 3 weeks of doing this before you throw your first bullpen of the year.

3. 007

007 Full Access Member

Not a doc and don't know if it's your shoulder or elbow, but stay away from weighted baseballs, and continue to do rotator cuff and elbow exercises during the season. Elbow strength is commonly 50% lower in pitching arms than the non-dominant arm, from the wear and tear of pitching. Avoid overhead lifting and don't get too carried away with the bench press.

4. NCBBallFan

From what you describe, you need to go see a good sports medicine physician as quick as you can. It sounds like there is something there other than just muscle soreness. It sounds like an underlying injury that may need something more.

The Miller Clinic down in Charlotte is very good. There are other great ones around the state.

Don't put it off... get it checked out by an expert.

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Unfortunately, this happens far too often. Don't let your coach intimidate you into throwing if you are not ready. You know your arm better than anybody. I would suggest that you check with a reputable physical therapist that can help you with your problem. If you find the right one, they can tell you what you can/can't do. There's a difference between pain and soreness...if you are a pitcher make sure that you know the difference.

6. 007

007 Full Access Member

The other thing I would suggest is to avoid throwing as hard as you can.
    Atlanta Braves pitching coach Leo Mazzone feels that throwing with full exertion is the leading culprit in many arm injuries. He has all his guys pitching at 95% in games and 65% in bullpens. Atlanta pitchers throw more than anyone else, but easier. The improvement in control far outweighs the drop in velocity.

7. DCbaseball

DCbaseball Superman

i go to Brandon Rehab twice a week to strengthen my shoulder. I'll be good to go soon 100% so yall better watch out. thanks for the advice. and that link you posted seems real interesting, that site seems to have some good information.

8. Fisherman

Fisherman The king of fishing

I would have to say the best thing that i have learned is to stretch, stretch, stretch. Before a game i really do focuse on getting everything stretched out, and something that has helped me tremendously is a foam role. It is simply a a piece of foam that you lay on with your throwing arm above you and role slowly back in forth reaching those areas hard to stretch. It might sound like that would not do anything but you will notice over time with this stretch done daily, you will not be as tight, and you will feel less restriction on cutting loose. Running is a key to how well you are able to recover from pitching also. Our coach usually has us run 3 to 4 miles after we pitch just to burn the lactic acid and get "good and lathered" haha. Light tossing and maybe throwing a 45 foot bull pen would not hurt, just to beable to be productive and keep your mechanics sound. My last advice would be to breath while your doing your stretching. Breathing helps with the recovery process alot.
    Your muscles tighten up if you are not breathing and then the stretching is pointless. Breath.

9. NCBBallFan

It's called Rigormortis ...

:couch:
    (Sorry I couldn't resist).

10. DCbaseball

DCbaseball Superman

do lie on your arm side with it outstreched above you with the piece of foam? Im kinda confused on how it works.