1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Pro-Style Workouts

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NVINGS3, Dec 14, 2007.

1. NVINGS3

NVINGS3 Junior Member

Dawgswood, he's a sophmore. I know it's way to early to even think about college,(4 yrs. before he'd see a college pitch) but with all the fuss going on, I'm trying to really get a feel for what's coming up. I'm very realistic about where he could probably play at, so much so that he almost can't dream very big. I used to coach high school baseball and had some small college players, but the face of recruiting has changed tremendously with all the ID camps, showcases, ect. I just don't belive in the pro-style workout, when you can do so much more for high school kids. Coach 27, where do I sign-up for the 2 hr. evaluation. If you can give me a better assessment through that, what to work on , strengths, weaknesses, ect. like I'm sure you could, rather than a pro-style workout I'm all for it. I've actually seen kids get a higher rating on the infield in ID camps (not going to drop names) than others and there's no way possible that we were watching the same thing. That's my opinion against an ID personel, but when you have a bunch of high baseball IQ people saying they didn't see it either, it makes you wonder. A more thorough workout would probably reveal more of the truths. An example, my son can get behind the plate, and have a pop time of around 2.08-2.15. (We've done it before) I can dress him up to to look like a catcher in the pro-style workout, all the movements necessary, and really disquise him. Put him behind the plate in a game, and we'd get killed. Can't recieve a pitch, stick it, or throw to 2nd in real time with runners on. Tried it in middle school. But, the pro-style workout doesn't reveal that. The pros could probably see right through it, but your basic coach (ID personel, former college player that coaches(don't get me started on that. A lot are overrated as well) could not on 4 throws. Eventually he would have to be accounted for, but an ID camp identifying him as a catcher to a college recruiter, like some claim to do. Coach 27, looking forward to next Sat. as well.

2. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

NVINGS3

I will see you on Saturday. Im looking forward to it as well.

3. hitittome

hitittome Full Access Member

Sorry about that Braves ---I will wait and see when it is time for it to come out. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  4. homeplate

homeplate Full Access Member

I think people are finding out this showcase,AAU, travel baseball id camps and all of that stuff is about $$$ play High school baseball Legion baseball then in the fall do the id camp , play in 1 or 2 showcase tournaments and save mom and dadalot of money , i don't care what they say if your good enough they will find you.

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I can appreciate one's interest in this venture. I really believe when it is finalized, it will become an asset.

I know Coach May was not intending to post this as an advertisement, but more of a heads up into something he is getting involved with. Nobody wants to fill the pages of TBR with advertisement, but there will be quite a few changes in the future on TBR and that area is one we are exploring.

If anyone has any questions about it, please do so through PM's.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

:laugh4:...sorry, that comment always makes me smile. The standard reply to this is, "Yeah, if you don't care who it is that finds you"

7. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Yep, Coach 27 taught me that a year ago. He taught me that you can be seen or found, but by who?

Kinda like the comment somone had the other day. They said, "Play baseball as long as you can. You have the rest of your life to work." That's true. But work at what? What do you want that work to be?

8. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Thanks Braves

You are correct.