1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Protective Eyewear for baseball players

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by GloveSide, Nov 21, 2008.

1. GloveSide

GloveSide Full Access Member

What are your thoughts of manditory eye protection for defensive and offensive players. Not just face masks for the catcher and batter but eye protection for ALL players on the field.

This is primarily for the youth level. But could the same argument be used for all levels of the game?

Please refer here for some statistics.

http://www.healthyvision2010.nei.nih.gov/hvm/pdfs/Sports-Related Eye Injuries Fact Sheet.pdf

Its says:
    "Baseball is the leading cause of sports-related eye injury among children aged 14 and under."

My take on this is: If we do this then we might as well wrap them all up in full body protective gear so that not so much as a bruise gets on little Bobby.

2. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Agree. Full body amour. Let's use nerf balls & bats. What next??? Give swimmers life vest to reduce drowning of kids that swim. Gloves to protect fingers from paper cuts in the libary.

3. throwheat22

throwheat22 Full Access Member

throw it and duck

I did have a 3rd baseman once that requested to wear a chest protector when I was on the mound...

4. Plate Dad

I remeber a kid my son played with in LL. When he got on first it was like removing the amour from a knight in the middle ages. If he had a face guard on his helmet. You might think you were at a football game.

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

My infielders requested L-screens before I pitched, but it made me bristle. I told them they didn't request that during practice when using an Iron Mike.

They said the Iron Mike threw harder :nopityA:

6. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

I would request an "iron cage" if you were pitching.....as hard as those suckers would be hit they could ricochet off the outfield wall and still come back in the infield and knock you out......:svengo:

7. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Full Access Member

Id want to hit when you pitched braves I would look like the Mick up there with no chance of getting hurt.............even if you beaned me

8. Dalai Velama

Dalai Velama Full Access Member

Over Protected

This subject goes along with what many of us see everyday. The over protected children through out america. Let the kids bump there head or scratch their knee one time! They have to grow up, and it works better without the parent holding their hand until they are 18 years old! Too many soft kids around these days that dont want to work for something and expect everything given to them. SOCIETY IS NOT HELPING OUR CHILDREN DEVELOPE! My opinion..... Dalai Out!

9. Plate Dad

Thing is it are the cushion kids that are now making the rules.

10. Knuckleball

Knuckleball Junior Member

Good Grief !!!!!!!!!!

Here's a thought, .......... Lets have the pitcher throw the ball underhand and all the defensive players play behind screens! Oh yea, let's make sure the ball is a soft t-ball type! NO rubber or steel spikes, slippers with a duck on them! Don't want little Johnny to get hurt! One other thing, make the coaches all Moms, so when little Johnny does get hurt she can run out on the field and hold his little hand and hug him! :cussing: