1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Providence/ SM discussion

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by The "O", Apr 6, 2004.

1. DodgerBlues

DodgerBlues Full Access Member

More on South Meck - Providence

One additional point about Providence vs. South Meck: In the informal preseason poll I picked Providence to win the SW4A, but that was before Jonathon Ratledge moved from Country Day to South. To me the addition of Ratledge, particularly at the plate and in the outfield, but also as a pitcher, together with the more relaxed appearance of the team, has shifted the balance to the South side. My take now is that IMHO, the South team has at least six position players (seniors Shelton (UNC) and Arrington (UNCA), juniors Ratledge, Kennedy and Borden, and sophomore Austin) and one pitcher (junior Worrell) who are capable of playing D1 college baseball one day (assuming of course that they also get it done IN THE CLASSROOM), and several others who also may be able to play at that level and can definitely play collegiately at some level.

That makes for quite a high school baseball team. To say that Providence is close behind says a lot about that team, too.

2. SouthLoop

SouthLoop S.Charlotte BB Researcher

Great third party observation on the South vs. Providence game, DodgerBlues!

:xyzthumbs :xyzthumbs :xyzthumbs

I would like to add David Rubinstein (junior LF) to your possible list of DI prospects for South Meck. David has the third best batting average (.421 behind Shelton & Borden) for the Sabres at this time and continues to play a D1 level offensive and defensive game for the Sabres. He's just quite, not flashy, but gets the job done with actions not words so...maybe you accidently overlooked him somehow?!? :thinking:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004
  3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Although I try to be unbiased in my posts about SM, thanks for saying how I felt, Dodgerblue. I, also, would like to give a special thanks to some unnoticed volunteers that night. Even though there was an overflowing crowd (that description does not do justice), there were some hard working, unpaid workers who made sure everyone got something to eat ( Chik-Fil-A, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Steak, Lobster and drinks) and it wasn't until the last inning before they finally ran out of food. For them to project this type of crowd and feed all of them (some more than once) was incredible.

It was such a beautiful night for baseball and to have the game played out with such passion by the players marks this game as one to remember

4. 75gitane

75gitane Full Access Member

i was a little surprised by the clt. observer box score of the providence vs. south meck game. each team got 2 errors ???????? seemed like there were more errors than that to me ... i will admit i was watching the game and not scoring the game.

someone made a comment about south playing a more relaxed game this year ... good observation. that team last year was wound very tight ... not sure about the cause but i think that's why their season ended early.

those bunts by providence in the 7th inning were very nicely executed !!!

haven't seen T.J. pitch many games this year, but providence batters did not have any trouble w/ his pitch selection. i don't think he was having much luck w/ breaking stuff. so the providence hitters just had to time the fastball; several of their hitters were timing it just fine.

5. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

wellllllll...............?

Sm and Prov scores anyone????? :huh:

6. sugarjet

sugarjet Full Access Member

I don't know man. I didn't think there were more than 2 errors for both teams. It was a pretty clean game. It dependeds on what you call a hit and what you call an error. And on TJ I would like to say that he was having a few problems with his mech. and it was throwing all of his pitches off. This was the first time it has happened this year so he will be fine. Not to take anything away from the Prov hitters. They were hitting the ball and hitting it hard.
    I do agree with you on the comment about last years team. We would have been tight. The other night it was a nice and relaxed approach to the later innings. It will be a good one when these 2 teams meet up for the last game of the regular season at Prov.

7. SabreFan

SabreFan Faithful Fan

1. South Meck Batting - Bottom of the 1st: 1 error by Providence. Zac Kennedy walked, batted forward to 3rd, advanced to home on error.
    2. Providence Batting - Top of the 3rd: 1 error by South Mecklenburg. Cory Dunning singled, stole 2nd, advanced to 3rd on error, advanced to home on wild pitch.
    3. South Meck Batting - Bottom of the 4th: 1 error by Providence. Kyle Shelton walked, advanced to 2nd on error, walked forward to 3rd.
    4. Providence Batting - Top of the 7th: 1 error by South Mecklenburg. Keith Mauney singled, batted forward to 2nd, advanced to 3rd on wild pitch, advanced to home on error.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2004
  8. SabreFan

SabreFan Faithful Fan

David Rubinstein (junior) with the Sabres is now batting @ .429 (playing LF and pitching as well) just behind Kyle Shelton @ .522. You will be hearing more and more about Rubinstein this year with the Sabres and next year for sure as well!