1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Qualities of a good HS coach

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Many people don't realize the amount of time a coach spends on issues outside of their sport in regrads to their players. But I can't help but feel this is part of the satisfaction and gratification a coach gets in developing a young person into being a man.

2. catamount36

catamount36 Full Access Member

no argument there braves

3. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

Catamount,

I agree totally.....the toughest thing is to know when enough is enough. But I also feel that sometimes we do the player an injustice if we just keep looking the other way.

IMO good coaches never quit caring or trying to help their players, even if the kid leaves the program you see the good guys stay involved....not an easy answer on this one

4. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Discipline

It would seem to me that a good coach would come down hard on a the bad egg early in his career. Something like removal from the program as a frosh or soph. Then if the kid really wants to play, he will get with the program. Otherwise, team is better off.

5. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

You guys have expressed some really great ideas and if you'll notice most have not dealt with the fundamentals of the game, but what I'll call for lack of better words "The benefits of the game".

Thank goodness I've seen a lot of coaches who know the fundamentals, and also can teach them fairly well. But I truly admire the coaches whose passion is to turn boys into men. Sports and the right coach can do that so well. My hat's off to those guys.

Unfortunately, few of the boys we all see play this game will make a living at it. But all will live guided by principles they learned while playing the game. The cliches will play thru there minds till the day they die. I hope they have had the good fortune of playing for a great coach.

6. Braves

Your pretty smart for a yankee :woot:

7. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

YEah...

I am spent drained in all regards... I know but don t really have much to say on the topic anymore for I am a bit demoralized! I remember a similar thread to this in which I posted much?!?!!?? Nonetheless I will continue to write and MY passion for the game will never diminish and OH by the way remember the "Yankees" won!:thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

8. Braves

Hey Coach...send me a PM. Let me know what's going on. My prayers are with you

9. Coach May

Coach May Full Access Member

Coach

What makes a great coach? I would say the same qualities that make a great dad. Only with a coach your road is the game taught but the distination is teaching life lessons through the game. First of all I feel that a great coach has a passion for the game. A passion for teaching the game. A passion to help young men become the best players they can be. I also feel that a great coach understands that his job is not to just teach the game but to use the game as a way to teach young men about life through the game. Work ethic , dedication , team work , discipline , mental toughness , sportsmanship etc. I believe that the same things that make a kid sucessfull on the diamond are the same things that make him sucessfull in life. I also believe that a great coach is not consumed by winning but by teaching. The winning takes care of itself if you take care of the other things that are more important in the long run. Of course we all want to win. But unless you win the State every year out are you saying that every season you dont is a failure? I say that if you are helping young boys become men and you are teaching them life lessons along with the game of baseball you never have a bad season regardless of the record. My coaches in youth sports High School and College were some of the biggest positive influences in my life. I have forgotten alot of the fundementals of the games that they taught me. But I have never forgotten the principals of life that they taught me through the game. I use them even today , everyday. (Never quit). (Discipline yourself so other wont have to). (Winning is an attitude). ETC ETC ETC. Too many times people get caught up in how many games they have won and lost. Of course we want to win and it is very important that we do because we are all competitors. But what is most important is that we teach young men lessons through the game that will last them long after they hang up the spikes. JMHO

10. Red Bear

Red Bear Full Access Member

On a simple level, you've got to want to coach. There are too many high school coaches out there on the field as a condition of employment. Nothing like seeing a coach checking his watch and being the first one out of the parking lot after every practice! :wtf23: