1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Qualities of a good HS coach

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 28, 2005.

1. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

TheOriole

Coach you're right. Their playoff performance last year was not up to what they usually accomplish. "26 World Series Championships" will be 27 soon, no doubt.

2. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

Braves

Actually was born on a tobacco farm down east in Burgaw, NC that bustling metropolis just north-west of Wilmington. I did spend several years in the New York area after that and my father took me to some Yankee games. Got to see Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Clete Boyer, Tony Kubek, Bobby Richardson, etc. - YES I'M A BIG YANKEE FAN - and the scale in the bathroom will support that statement. :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: ..... i believe that's 26

3. strike 3

strike 3 Full Access Member

glad to see you posted to this thread red bear, knew you could not resist. imho, a coach must be dedicated to the sport, kids, school and lastly but not leastly the facilities at the school and their improvement.

4. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

I don't think a coach should command respect but he has to earn the respect from his players.
    You get that respect by doing things the right way and the fair way. You won't win popularity contest with these attributes from the platers or the parents.
    2 comments I will always remember from my players:

1) "We will always call him coach"

2) " He taught me discipline, respect and most of all how to be a humble man."

5. Red Bear

Red Bear Full Access Member

Keep bringing it, Strike 3! Glad to have you aboard! :woot: And you're right, I couldn't resist.

6. baseball42

baseball42 Member

HIGH SCHOOL COACHES

I think one one of the biggest things overlooked by coaches is in the off season.I think they should set up good off season work outs .The parents should be included in this process because who cares more about their kid playing after high school than them.We all know the kids that are in the best programs will have the best chance to go on.I think all of us want our kids to reach their potential and hope its good enough.

7. HEAT

HEAT Full Access Member

as yall stated, the coach has to WANT to be there. he has to have discipline over his guys and set rules that he abides to and doesn't sway from. Run the hell out of them if they break one, it'll teach them that you are serious. Congratulate them when they succeed or accomplish a goal, and be earnest and strict (even a little tail chewing) when they don't meet expectations. Don't blow smoke up their hind ends. If they aren't a D1 player, or have no chance at starting for you in CF next season don't give them any reason to believe it by what you say. That can only make players lose trust in you. As yall said, trust is earned over a period of time through hard work and doing things the right way. Also I fully agree with the fall workout program. Weight room in the mornings and on the field in the afternoons. You guys know more about it than me when it comes to the actual rules, but setting up the 8 man system 5 days a week keeps them active when alot of them would just go home and do nothing. I don't know what other specifics there are when it comes to the fall hs rules. Coach May said alot of these same things, and I may be echoing what he's saying but I fully agree with his post and the things mentioned in this one. Winning will result in doing things the right way because they will take pride in being on that field.

8. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

Yankee!!

WOW!! Having formerly taught and coached at the old Hallsboro HS and East Columbus as well as traveling the OL HWY 50 I think up to thru Holley Ridge I know it well! I only said those things about the Yankees well you know my screen name! The quality of these posts to this thread is great! Parents who are objective in there regards to their pllayers (son/daughter) good! On the other hand here is what I think and know has happened from the "other side" with those who do the hiring and firing of HIGH SCHOOL coaches.... Moderators you may want to make this a NEW thread? I think it will stir some emotions....
    Shortage of coaches a cause for concern

Schools use volunteers as low pay discourages teachers from taking job

LANGSTON WERTZ JR.

Staff Writer

N.C. public high schools are facing a coaching shortage. That could lead to schools being forced to stop offering some sports, said Charlie Adams, executive director of the N.C. High School Athletic Association.

At the NCHSAA's annual Region VI meeting at the Charlotte Coliseum, Adams told the Observer nearly 35 percent of the state's 2,700 high school coaches are volunteers, not full-time school employees.

"It's a huge concern," he said. "It tells us we have a major coaching shortage and we've got a lot of people working with kids that have not touched all the bases in terms of being prepared to do that. That's not to say we don't have great non-faculty coaches, but that number continues to grow and grow."

Some area athletics directors and coaches at the meeting said low pay is forcing long-time coaches out. Many, however, retain teaching positions, which sometimes prevents schools from hiring replacements, since a coach usually assumes a teaching position. That low pay, which some estimate works out to 13 cents per hour, is also preventing new coaches from coming into the profession, they say.

N.C. Coaches Association spokesperson Mac Morris said the N.C. legislature is considering a bill that would establish a coaches scholarship program. Morris said before the proposal could be voted on, the legislature would have to study the problem. He asked the 175 ADs, superintendents and coaches at the Region VI meeting to sign a petition to urge the legislature to quickly move forward.

"We need the legislature to help us," Morris said, "because we know the fact is that athletics helps improves grades, attendance and school spirit. It's something that's valuable."

Adams said something must be done quickly.

"We've not seen a lot of schools dropping sports," he said, "but three or four years down the road is a concern. If we don't fill the ranks, we are going to have to one day drop some sports."
    AND I ATTEMPTED SEVERAL TIMES TO POST A REPLY/EDITORIAL TO THIS BUT THE EDITORS REJECTED IT SEVERAL TIMES??? Sounds like pure politics to me...

Oh well I cannot seem to find my letter in response to the article above and by no means am tryiing tot ake away from the original subject and content of this thread but it IS a factor... I believe I have posted it elsewhere here on an old thread I will continue to "browse" all my files to find.....

9. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

Wahla..... Found it!

EDITORIAL
    "Someone needs to have a clue?"
    I write this in response to the September 21st article in the Charlotte Observer’s sports section concerning high school coaching shortages in North Carolina. With 15 years experience as a classroom teacher and as head coach at three different high schools in this state, to say the least, I have a slightly different take on the comments made by those in the article.

First of all coaching is a way of life as well as a profession. Administrators and bureaucrats have little to no realization of this and often times could care less. Sure it would be nice to make more money in the process of coaching. Yet, evidently coaches are not being seen nor treated as a “professional” should be. Nevertheless, coaches do what they do because they have a passion for their games and a love of working with youngsters. I know several coaches who would at the high school level coach for free! The bottom line is money is NOT the major issues so why debate it, meet over it, and write about it while blatantly ignoring the true underlying issues revolving around “a shortage”? After conducting quite a bit of research throughout the country, I find it alarming to see this is neither a major problem nor issue in most other states throughout the US. Both the number of vacancies and turnover at the high school level is far greater in North Carolina.

The dynamics of this particular problem originates within the infrastructure of the school itself. The chain of command, communication, respect, and loyalty that should be a part of the individual coach’s, athletic administrator’s, and principal’s professional obligation to one another many times goes awry and is allowed to be blatantly and wantonly circumvented by outspoken, opinionated, and sometimes hostile parents whose children aren’t getting enough playing time over and over again. Naturally, injustices do unfortunately arise in high school sports and the parents are in the right for approaching the school. However, more vocal and threatening one’s often times succeed in breaking the proverbial spine so to speak of this professional hierarchy for their personal gain. At times they have succeeded in undermining the relationships within the school. Each and every year in this state highly qualified men and women are either being forced out of high school coaching or quit. While all along many of them represent what is best about the high school experience. The incredulous irony to these unfortunate tragedies is that often times they remain in their respective classrooms. What kind of message does this send? For each and every coach who is forced out of the profession it merely provides evidence for others to simply say “heck with this” and sadly walk away from what had been their way of life, and in many instances the game that led them into the teaching profession to begin with.

For example, at one prestigious high school here in Charlotte there are eight former

coaches, who did not want to quit coaching, were told they were not wanted, while

another eight were forced out and went elsewhere to both teach and coach. If my math

is correct this accounts for a change and turnover of sixteen coaches in TWO years or

less while their respective teams have continued a winning tradition. This type of hostile

environment is becoming increasingly the norm throughout North Carolina and else

where. Educators who qualified enough to “teach” in the classroom but NOT coach in

the gym or on the field? Finally, I would like to add I have been so humbled

throughout my career and appreciative of the fine and quality parents who have

entrusted their child’s growth and development under my tutelage while I never asked

for anything other than hoping for a “thank you”! What are your thoughts about this

Mr. Langston?:bananalam :bananalam :bananalam :bananalam :bananalam :bananalam :bananalam :bananalam

10. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

IN many instances, coaching is not a part of the teaching contracts, like it once was. New teachers can't be forced to extra curricular activities such as coaching within the first 3 yrs of teaching unless they want to do it... (state law). Coaching is a part of my contract, if the county wanted they could force me to coach, but since I want to coach that is not an issue.

Here is the problem as I see it:

1. Many young coaches look at the amount of committment (lots of time and work) vs. the money earned (very little). To them it is not worth it! Let's face it, to have a successful program you put in more unpaid hours in the off season than you put in paid hours in the regular season.

2. They don't see the rewards earned down the road, the many thanks from former players, the long term bonds, calling you "coach" years after they have graduated and been away for several years.

3. Desparity in extra curricular pay among school systems, especially rural vs metropolitan. For example, Wake and Durham Counties pay alot more than Person County, which tends to lead young coaches away, not to mention the growth in the number of schools in the Wake County School system. I have said this before here, I made more as a JV coach at New Hanover in 1990 than I make as the Varsity Coach here at Person with 10+ years experience. I would dare say that I am probably one the lowest paid Baseball Coaches with 10+ years experience in the state. ALTHOUGH I WOULD LIKE MORE MONEY, IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY. As much as they make me :banginghe , I would not trade them for any other group, cause I love them. They are great kids!!

If we are gonna recruit and retain quality coaches, we must improve the pay. Granted it will never be worth the time, but maybe it will at least pay for our gas to and from school... (Well, maybe not at $2-$3 per gallon)