1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Qualities of a good HS coach

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Nov 28, 2005.

1. strike 3

strike 3 Full Access Member

It may be a state law that they can not be forced to coach in their 1st 3 years, but what are they to do when in the interview for a teaching position a job offer is dangled in front of them if they agree to coach 1 or 2 jv sports or help with varsity sports. they are just out of college and hungry (need the money) so they do it even though sometimes their heart is not really in to it. this happens alot because some principals can not find experienced coaches who will work for them.

2. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

I know what you're saying, but it doesn't change the fact that coaches are hard to find and retain... I know from personal experience how difficult it is to fill staff vacancies. At our school, we fund for asst coaches, but these go unfilled. Administrators have to fill positions as best as they can, teaching and coaching. This strategy has been used for years, if I were a Principal and had = candidates for a job and 1 wanted to coach and another did not, of course I would hire the coach because that candidate would add more to the school and could impact students in a more diverse way. In no way is this meant to imply that you should take a job because coaching is dangled in front of you... there are enough vacancies throughout the state that if you don't want to coach, you can get a job without going through what you mentioned.

I am interested in finding out exactly what other systems in the state pay their coaches in all sports. If your school system has a supplement scale, could you email it to me at [email protected] I would appreciate it greatly.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Good points guys...thanks for sharing. I know the monies coaches get paid in Charlotte Meck is certainly a reason many good coaches have gone elsewhere. I know it's not about the money, but one's wife has a say about it too!..and they are not quite as committed,

4. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

:229031_ha :229031_ha :229031_ha :229031_ha

Thanks Braves!

I am very lucky in that I married a highly successful HS girls basketball coach before Dee and she is aware of committment. I wish all coaches had it that lucky!! :trophy:

5. spacedawg

spacedawg Full Access Member

The Perfect Coach

The combining qualities of the following men might make the perfect coach:

Tom Smith- TC Roberson
    Jim Hyatt- West Henderson
    Hal Bagwell- South Meck
    Charlie Spivey- Lee County
    Milton Senter- Fuquay-Varina
    Ronald Vincent- Rose
    Rabbit Fulghum- former coach Greene Central

These are awesome individuals. They are THE standard for coaching baseball in North Carolina.

6. baseball42

baseball42 Member

THE PERFECT COACH

The top coach in north carolina needs to be added to the list and it is BOBBY DALE REYNOLDS.

7. Coach May

Coach May Full Access Member

Top Coaches

Since some of you have started to name some outstanding coaches I would like to add from my experiences some names of outstanding coaches. These guys are competitive year in and year out regardless of the talent level they have coming in. They do an outstanding job of developing players and sending them on to college programs. Also they are outstanding game coaches.

Dean Deese Orange HS
    Ron Horton Northwood HS
    Steve Evans Roxboro Person HS
    Kenny Meekins Manteo HS
    Jeff Tate Formerly Northern Vance now Oxford Webb HS

Never count out a Deese coached team. Last year they won the conference championship over a talented Southern Alamance squad that won the state 3-A title. Regardless of the talent level of his team they are always very well coached and fundementally sound. They compete year in and year out.

Ron Horton in my opinion is the best game decision game I have ever coached against. He pushes all the right buttons it seems at all the right times. They are so good at all the little things all the time. Sac bunts , squeeze plays , cut plays etc. Outstanding coach and a great guy.

Steve Evans is all class. He has scheduled us every year when we could not get any other 4-A teams to play us. Alot of coaches will not schedule a quality 2-A program because they feel if they win they are supposed to and if they loose they are embarassed. Coach Evans has no ego. He has a great repore with his players and they are always fundementally sound. His players play with class and respect the game and that is a reflection on the coach and how he runs his program.

Kenny Meekins is just a great baseball coach. His guys are always fundementally sound. They play hard and they are scrappers. Coach Meekins himself is a warrior and his players feed off of it.

Jeff Tate's teams are always well prepared and are very good at all the little things that make a difference. Jeff is a laid back kind of coach and stays very calm during games. It seems to work very well for him. He built an outstanding program at Northern Vance and I look for him to return Oxford Webb to its outstanding reputation in baseball that it had in the late 70's early 80's. The guy is a great coach and a class act.

8. Nuff Ced

Nuff Ced Full Access Member

dean deese. dean deese. dean deese. dean deese. dean deese. dean deese.

9. spacedawg

spacedawg Full Access Member

Bobby Dale Reynolds is a winner period, end of story. Absolutely, he should be added to the list.

The NCBCA should start a Hall Of Fame and several of these guys should be in it.

There are really so many great baseball coaches in North Carolina.

Others to consider:
    Will Flowers- Fike HS
    Eric ("O") Leary- Southwest Onslow
    Phil Woodell- East Chapel Hill
    Randy Pope- West Forsyth
    Henry Jones- Cherryville- retired?
    Mike Mahaffey- Bessemer City
    Peanut Parks- Ashbrook
    Mike Alderson- West Brunswick
    Brian Stewart- Ashley
    Pete Hardee- Watagua
    Harry Jones- Millbrook
    Bruce Rhodes- SW Edgecombe
    Mickey Lineberger- South Point
    Peanut Langston- South Central
    Mike Joyner- Smithfield-Selma
    Jason Mills- DH Conley
    Jabo Fulghum- Eastern Wayne
    David Craft- Hickory
    Kenny Meekins- Manteo
    Jamie Lowe- North Forsyth
    Reid Holmes- SW Guilford
    Trent Mongero- Richmond
    Bruce Procter- Princeton
    Jim Montaque- North Lenior
    Billy Cannon- Camden
    David Miller- Chapel Hill

These men give their heart and soul to the game.
    I am sure there are others.

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Pete Hardee is one of my all time favorites.... he is what a HS baseball coach should be

Wow...I like how this thread has turned. This deserves a thread by itself.