1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Question for Impact

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by mashintheball, Jul 26, 2005.

1. mashintheball

mashintheball Junior Member

I was wondering why Impact doest cover the legion programs. Considering the state tournament is coming up and everything this weekend. Does anyone know?

2. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

I'm going to keep quiet on this one. :lalala:

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

:roflmao:

4. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

It is probably against one of the thousand's of legion rules for him to do so. :biggrina:

5. mashintheball

mashintheball Junior Member

Think of the kids that get left out.... If anyone has the stats to prove anything it would be the kids that have played since late may in legion and has over 150 at bats and has played almost 45 games.

It just seems that alot of the scouts are looking for an easy way to recieve good talent at there college instead of going out to a top legion game and actually finding true baseball players instead of someone that just had a good two at bats at some high dollar showcase.

But we all know that college baseball isn't what it use to be 10 years ago!

I just wanted your guys idea about this?

6. MVaughn

MVaughn Full Access Member

mashintheball;
    I have talked to several college recruiters and pro scouts about this very issue. In short, they say they are not taking the easy way out to scout, they are pursuing the economical way to scout. Budget cuts and rule changes, it is said, is the driving force behind this. I was told that it is much more economical, both financially and time wise, to go to a showcase tournament or combine and watch a hundred plus prospects in one weekend than "drive for hours down a two lane road to watch a legion game that MAY have only a handful of boys that are seriously interested in playing at the next level" and then have to do the same thing again and again. I was told by one college recruiter that they have even cut back their high school game scouting so it isn't just legion.

It may or may not be the right thing but it is the way things seem to be going at present. As some people on here will point out, if you are truly an outstanding player, the recruiters will find you. However, if you are only a good player, they may not. Therefore, if you are a good player and interested in playing past HS, it is up to you to promote yourself as the scouts and recruiters have more boys wanting to play than they have money. You and your family will have to pick the best way to do that.

Some of the options are not that expensive. Take the MLB tryouts. They cost nothing but time and the coaching fraternity has a tendency to spread the word on players. Other options may be good investments, like summer or (often less expensive) winter college camps that can help you improve or get you get ready for the HS season. Some are more expensive like the Perfect Game and Impact Combines but they also broaden the exposure base. Then there are the showcase teams that are there to get you in front of scouts. Some of these are expensive and some not so. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Remember, if you play legion, you also have to be careful not to run afoul of the rules of participation, even accidentally.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  7. tj21

tj21 Moderator

I won't get into the showcase/legion debate "again", (btw I think a player can do both, but also agree with what MVaughn just said too),,,,, but if you are simply asking whether the college scouts will be at the legion state tournament in Cherryville this weekend,,,,,,,,,,, I can answer you with a definite "yes". A lot of colleges will be represented in Cherryville. Everyone across the state knows that this is the final week for legion ball in NC and you have the top 8 remaining teams all in one location. The scouts will definitely be there...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  8. MVaughn

MVaughn Full Access Member

Sorry, but I got a little off base with my above post as I carried it over into the scouting fraternity in general. There was a specific question about Impact.

I cannot answer this for sure but in general I would make the assumption that Impact doesn't provide much coverage of Legion as the Legion season is in conflict with what would appear to be Andy's busiest part of the year. During the summer, he is running several large showcases, several smaller combines, holding tryouts, managing the dirtbags showcase teams, and running his website (although some may disagree with this last one). Therefore, I would think he would have little time to scout anything other than the biggest events during the late spring and summer.

9. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

I'm not criticizing Andy because Impact is how he puts bread on his table. He's earned the right to use his website & showcases make a living.

But the simple answer to why Impact will never mention Legion is....there's no $$ in it for Andy. He would be a fool to promote the rival to his program.

We have done both, & imho it's showcase for maximum exposure to scouts, but it is Legion to learn how to play the game & have a ton of fun. I wouldn't trade the 4 years my son has played for Post 8 for a dozen Showcase years. FWIW, we felt that way last year when Lexington was 4-20.

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Andy is the baseball version of a basketball "gym rat". He loves watching HS baseball players. He doesn't care if it is in East Bugtussel....but time is his issue now. Unless they have some tournament they are playing in this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up in Cherryville