1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Question for TBR

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by CCfan1223, Apr 24, 2008.

1. CCfan1223

CCfan1223 Junior Member

You know those little rubber pieces made by Easton(and others I'm sure, just an example) to put at the bottom of the handle to prevent "sting"? Well, the question is: Are they legal? Is there a rule saying you can't use them? I have seen them used a lot in school ball and travel ball. In a school game this week I noticed the plate ump tell a young lady to remove it from the bat as the manufacturer did not place it there. She has had it on her bat for years, why this game and why now? It didn't effect the batter, game, or outcome. Any comments?

2. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

Per the rule book, it is illegal....
    It is a modification to the bat, not authorized by the manufacturer.
    Go figure...

3. CCfan1223

CCfan1223 Junior Member

thank you

I wonder why it's never enforced? Maybe he noticed the batter "choking up" and the knob was exposed? Never the less, I will have my DD take hers off.

Another question- If the bat is made by (example- Easton) and there is the (example-) knob on the bat, is it still illegal? Same manufacturer, just after market purchase....LOL

How about this- I have heard teams must have matching helmets(school colors) and catchers gear, but you see pics on here of girls with TB helmets and non school color catcher gear. Is there an understood rule or just coach preference?

Also- What about coaches? Are they not suppose to wear khacki pants, collared shirts(or school color) shirts? I have seen many different combos as well.

4. 3bagger15

3bagger15 Full Access Member

Coaches dress code.......

As far as coaches uniforms are concerned, the only thing they can't wear are blue jeans.. Our head coach and myself usually wear khaki pants and collared shirt. I have been known to wear wind pants in school colors once or twice.

5. hittingcoach

hittingcoach Member

according to asa you can not add anything to a bat. anything that is added to a bat other than what originally came on it is technically illegal. sting stoppers (which dont actually remove sting) are additions to the bat and are illegal but no one ever calls it. also, if you are playing an asa tournament and have any sort of tape on the bat (say to tell one kids bat from the other) they can throw all those bats out as well.

asa has gotten crazy with their rulings.

thank goodness (for once) the umpires as of late are too lazy to enforce all of their rules

6. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Coaches attire.....

.....no joke, East Cobb, Atlanta, Ga. ASA nationals, 99 degrees and 99% humidity. I'm coaching 3rd, ump calls time, come over to me and says, " coach, you can't wear flipflops at 3rd"!.....I said that these pads were not flipflops, they were Tevas, that cost me $100 bucks. well, even though I was telling the truth, he didn't buy it, and we were in the middle of a game and my only other shoes were 20 miles away. I looked over the fence and asked a good buddy, Jeff Overton to swap footwear. Done deal, BAM!, here comes the rain, I mean downpour!. We were playing a team from Sacramento. They had never played in the rain or on a drenched field. 18, yep 18 folks per field, worked those fields into the best possible shape that could be. The Sac. coaches bitched and bitched that the field was unplayable, and they were right but, marlins love water, and when we took the field, our kids smallballed the stuffing out of those westcoast girls.......oh about the coaches attire, I gave those muddy size 14s back to Jeffrey O. Game on!

7. JefferMC

JefferMC Full Access Member

Actually, according to ASA rules, you not only can have tape on the handle (marking the bat would be one reason), but you can also tape the knob subject to certain restrictions. Most umpires, assuming they considered it at all, would probably consider the "sting stopper" a form of taping. I can say that my DD's bats have had them for 3 years of travel ball and school ball and no ump (ASA, NFHS, NSA, ISA, BR or WFC) has ever questioned it.