1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Question for the experts

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by erms, Mar 31, 2009.

1. erms

erms Full Access Member

Runner on 1st, no outs.
    Batter bunts just out from the plate. Catcher fields the ball...throws into right field.
    On base runner advances to 2nd, turns and goes to 3rd.
    Batter is called out for interference inside the 3 ft. lane.

On base runner stays at 3rd.

Ump says the runner advances at their own risk. At the end of the inning he says he's not sure if the on base runner can advance or it's a dead ball. Said he will make a call to find out.

I was inclined to go with the runner advances at their own risk......now I don't know......so I turn to the experts.

(Didn't have an impact on the outcome of the game, but I would like to know.)

2. Stanlysoftball

Stanlysoftball Full Access Member

interference

Dead ball. No difference than a in-fielder in the base path. Runner gets the base. Runner interference, runner out and player's go back to where they started. This would be the logical call, but things sometimes don't work out logical....

3. BobbyT

BobbyT Junior Member

BobbyT umpire

It is a dead ball and all play stops runners return to base that was occupied before the pitch. They can not advance but the problem with this call is did the batter/runner interfere with the throw, by being hit with the ball, or did the catcher make a bad throw if not this call should not have been made. If this call was made just because she stayed in the field of play than we would have to call it about 90% or more for every batter that bunts.

4. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

welcome BobbyT to this board rocks softball forum, and i agree, dead ball...sounds like you have the same umpires that we have...ugh!!!!

5. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Cheeze Read Thread Title---EXPERTS !!

Gotcha !!!:rofl:-- Guru

6. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

did the ball???

thrown by the catcher, hit the batter/runner as she was running, or did she have contact with the firstbase person?

Running inside the "running lane" is only interference if there is contact, either with the thrown ball or first baseman..

Sounds to me like the catcher tried to throw the ball over the runner....

7. JefferMC

JefferMC Full Access Member

Elucidate, please

Yes, please do clear up the issue about how the ball got into right and why the runner was called for interference.

A clearly bad throw by the catcher is likely a live ball and runners free to advance (at their own risk), regardless of where the batter runner was or did. A bean ball off the BR's helmet in fair territory is a dead ball, runners return to position at time of pitch.

So... which of these is closer to the actual situation?

8. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

BITETH ME GURU!!!!!!!

a very popular greeting back in the land of yankees!!!!!

9. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

hahahahaha !!

:2guns: &*^*% yANKEES----lol

10. chachacha

chachacha Full Access Member

>>It is a dead ball and all play stops runners return to base that was occupied before the pitch. They can not advance but the problem with this call is did the batter/runner interfere with the throw, by being hit with the ball, or did the catcher make a bad throw if not this call should not have been made. If this call was made just because she stayed in the field of play than we would have to call it about 90% or more for every batter that bunts.<<

Not sure I follow your last sentence? No reason not to be in the running lane after a bunt. In fact, I would say this situation is why the rule was put in to start with.