1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Question for those stat pros

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by justsoftball, Apr 13, 2010.

1. justsoftball

justsoftball Full Access Member

Two examples:

Bases loaded, batter lays down bunt. Fielded by pitcher, tossed to catcher who misses. Runner safe. If not for the attempt made at home, assuming no error, batter would have easily been out at first.

Stat for batter?

Seems pretty simplistic for me: FC1 for batter, but I was told tonight that it is only a FC if the player the play was made on is successfully put out, so the batter is given a hit on the unsuccessful put out?? Seems to me FC defined is "...when an attempt on another runner is made to put them out..." not "...only when a successful play on another runner is made resulting in a put out.."

Second:

Lefty slapper at bat. Runner on 2B. Ball slapped to SS, who looks at 2B, makes clean play on batter, putting her out at first. Runner advances to 3B during course of play.

Stat for batter?

Again, seemed pretty clear cut to me: G6-3.

However....I am being told under rules new to NCHSAA and ASA, when ANY player slaps and are put out at first base, as long as a runner advances, it is scored SAC 6-3.

I have not heard of this rule, nor have I been able to find it anywhere.

Help here please?

2. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

...I'm no expert but i'll say...1. if the play at the plate was unsuccessful because the catcher missed the ball then E-2 or E-1 on the throw. The batter would be given a FC.
    2. If the play at the plate missed by the catcher was deemed "no error", then the kid at first is given a sac and an RBI.
    3. FCs can be recorded without an out.
    5. Bunting with the bases loaded is a recipe for a pop up double play.

As for leftie slappers...I too have a problem with the interest in scorkeeping rulings regarding their attempts at putting the ball in play with 2 strikes and getting a sac for an obvious non attempt to sacrifice their time at bat.

JMO

Fishdad

3. jjsphotos

jjsphotos Full Access Member

fielders choice goes in on #1 when an attempt is made elsewhere. result of the attempt doesnt matter.

sacrifice either moves a runner into scoring position or scores the runner. unfortunately - 2nd to 3rd IS NOT a sac

4. duke01

duke01 Junior Member

On the second play I would give the slapper a Sac if she hit the ball to the right side and the runner moved on the play, but not hitting it to SS and the runner moves to 3rd on the throw to first.

5. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

there is never to a sacrifice unless there is an intent to sacrifice, ie giving your at bat up for the good of the team and to advance a runner.

In this instance it appears that the slapper is trying to hit the ball safely.

6. JefferMC

JefferMC Full Access Member

A SAC fly may be given without intent, but it ends up computed differently from a normal SAC in OBP and BA.

A SAC is when a player bunts in an attempt to advance a runner (doesn't have to be to 2B or Home, 3B is fine, though I'd question why) and is put out at 1B. I'd still record the SAC if the batter reaches on an error. It cancels out the "at bat" that she would otherwise be charged for not reaching safely. If the original runner is retired, it becomes a FC. If the runner out runs the throw, then it becomes just a hit.

-----

But, in answer to the OP:

1) If, in the opinion of the scorer, the initial throw would have retired the runner if thrown to first, it should be an FC because the throw didn't go to 1B.

2) The NFCA guidelines on this state the following:

However... a running slap isn't a bunt, per the definition of a bunt. Argh.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  7. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

the topic was a bunt....

8. JefferMC

Just being thorough...

9. jjsphotos

jjsphotos Full Access Member

#2 is just a ground out.

if a slap was a bunt they would be out if the attempt goes foul with 2 strikes. since they arent. its not a bunt, its a swing. and except flies a swing isnt a sacrifice.

10. JefferMC

jjsphotos, I would be glad to agree with you... but why did they even put "running slap" in there at all?