1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Question Please

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by SIFan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. SIFan

SIFan Full Access Member

Two runners on, 2nd and 3rd, ball is hit back to picther and she does not make a play anywhere, no error, just no play. Is it a hit? Can there be a fielders choice without an out being made? What's the rule on this, college ball if that matters.

2. rhughes18

rhughes18 umpire

1) I believe mental errors are not to be considered but I am not up on scoring rules as stats go.

2) Yes, NCAA rule 14.2.10 Fielder’s Choice:.. Advance a runner by a fielder’s choice when she advances safely while another runner is played on. And rule 14.2.3 Base Hit:...
    although there is no fielding error and the official scorer believes the batter-runner would have reached first base with perfect fielding;

Hope this helps​

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  3. currylib

currylib Junior Member

I always understood that if the ball is fielded cleanly and a play exists, but the batter arrives safely on base due to indifference by the fielder (choosing to not attempt the play), then it is a fielder's choice, not a hit.

4. rhughes18

rhughes18 umpire

I could not find that in the NCAA rule book. There may be a scorer's guide book or some thing of the sort. An error requires a misplay and a fielder's choice requires a play on another runner. If there is authoratative opinion on this maybe someone else can cite a reference.

(Added: I believe this is the same as a steal when the catcher eats the ball or doesn't attempt a play on another runner. Even though there was no contest of the steal the runner is credited with a steal)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  5. Stanlysoftball

Stanlysoftball Full Access Member

answer it this way

Runner on 3rd no outs, pitcher fields ball looks at 3rd, runner holds and "throws ball" to 1st. Batter beats throw to 1st. Runner on 3rd does not score. Base hit to batter.

Is this any different than the one stated in the above post.
    I think you have to look at the fielders intent whether it was called from the dugout or her personal choice was to give up 1st base to keep runners from scoring.

6. JavelinCatcher

JavelinCatcher Full Access Member

NCAA Softball score keeping instructions

Found this link to the official NCAA softball score keeping instructions.
    http://www.olympiansoftball.com/assets/docs/baseball_softball_scorebook.pdf

Got there from this page which explains score keeping terminology (which I found helpful)
    http://www.olympiansoftball.com/softball_scorekeeping.html

Section 5 below is on fielders choices.

FIELDER’S CHOICE
    SECTION 5. This term is used by official scorer's to account for the following situations (the batter shall be charged with an official time at bat but no hit in all such situations):
    a. When a batter-runner advances one or more bases while a fielder who handles a fair hit attempts to put out a preceding runner;
    b. When a runner advances (other than by a stolen base or error) while a fielder is attempting to put out another runner;
    c. When a runner advances solely because of the defensive team’s indifference (undefended steal), or
    d. When a batter apparently hits safely and a runner who is forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner fails to touch the first base to which he is advancing and is called out on appeal.

Don't think that directly answers the question(s) at hand.

My personal opinion is that if the fielder would have gotten the batter out at first but decided for whatever reason not to throw, it is a fielders choice, not a hit.

7. rhughes18

rhughes18 umpire

I believe section 5 c answers the question. The OP would be a FC.

8. JavelinCatcher

JavelinCatcher Full Access Member

Yeah, I just wasn't sure if going from home to first is considered a "runner advancing" and the example they gave was an undefended steal. Clear as mud... :)

9. PhoenixPhan

PhoenixPhan Full Access Member

Does this apply?

NCAA Section 21 c. An error shall be charged against any fielder when she catches a thrown ball or fields a ground ball in time to put out any runner on a force play and fails to tag the base or the runner, including a batter-runner on a play at first base.
    :stirthepot:

10. currylib

currylib Junior Member

Would this not be referring to the fielder who then has the ability to make the tag or step on the base? But in the case of a fielder who fields the ball and would have to make an assist in the play but chooses to hold the ball (as in the original post), then that would be indifference and thus a fielder's choice? I would agree that it may be a mental error, but can't score in error on mental errors. In any case, the ball is not put into play in such a way that a "hit" could be credited. Don't we need a softball god who could once and for all clarify all statistical questions (and other rules, equipment questions, etc!!!)