1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

radar gun readings

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by brevard rocks, Jun 18, 2010.

1. brevard rocks

brevard rocks Junior Member

I was at the caldwell county pineville jegion game last night and the had the radar guns on the pitchers. I saw Cody Poarch touch 92. I saw Josh Case touch 92 and saw Trevor Hovis touch 91. Case and Hovis are probably some of the best keep secrets on the mound so far. I have been looking on blogs about kids touching 94 and i have seen some of there games and when i saw the gun readings it was touching 87 to 88 which is still great for high school kids but there is a big difference between 88 and 94 plus. I am not trying to be a critic but there are a lot of guys in the college world series not touching 94. I know the stories are always gonna be better than they really are. I watch alot of kids pitch in the southwestern 4a conference and i have not seen a kid touch 90 yet and in my opinion this is the best conference period.

2. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Cody Poarch is a pretty good pitcher.

As for radar gun readings, I love those stories. I honestly believe there must be a rule somewhere about radar gun readings, that whenever you hear a speed on a pitcher, before you tell someone else YOU MUST ADD 1MPH,,, and the next thing we know, an 80mph pitcher can somehow throw 90.

Best example comes to mind, was a HS game last year, kid threw a good game, he did, never heard an actual reading but he was prob hitting mid-upper 80's. About a week later the next time I saw that same team, I happened to be standing near a man who was talking on a cellphone about some kid who had recently thrown 100. Obviously I had to listen, and the man on the phone turned out to be the previous pitcher's father............. :N1Lies:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. brevard rocks

yeah your right

Hey tj21!! You are absolutley right about the radar gun readings!! I am not trying to call somebody a liar but i wish the would just say what it really is because in the long run it really doesnt matter!!!!

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Actually, in the long run it hurts. Scouts hear about a kid in the upper 80's - low 90's and they go watch him pitch. The kid is 83-84 and the scouts leave thinking this kid has arm problems or injury. It's never a right thing to inflate a pitcher's velo. If a kid is 84-86 and can hit his spots, change speeds and have composure...there is a college wanting him.

5. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

every pitcher's parent should print this ^ out and put it on their fridge.

6. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Braves is exactly right,,,,,,,,,, anytime you hear Lil Johnny can throw 90, and people swear Lil Johnny can throw 90, and people swear that all these major scouts supposedly clocked Lil Johnny throwing 90,,,,,,,,,,, THEN you finally get to go see Lil Johnny, and he's maybe 82........... and you go away very disappointed in Lil Johnny. And he didn't even do anything wrong. Its unfair to him.

Saw it bigtime this year too. Heard about this one specific kid all year, he supposedly threw 92 and was the "best". I finally passed up going to a better game JUST TO FINALLY SEE this specific kid. He must have had an off day, and I was pissed because I missed a better game for it.

Btw Braves, no lie, I heard this man last year telling somebody on his cellphone that his son threw 100,,, and the man was serious...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. tj21

tj21 Moderator

And Brevardrocks, its not calling someone a liar, because truly some radar guns are just different,,, but also truthfully when people start talking about what is on the guns, some people are full of sh*t. Only way to put it.

8. brevard rocks

guess your right

Hope i didnt open a can of worms i just got tired of hearing all the crap about every kid out there throwing 90 plus!!!! I do agree that if a kid throws 80 to 86 and hits his spots he is in the upper 10 percent of high school pitchers!!!! Thanks for all who responded!!!!!!

9. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

I would also warn against "touching" a number... in that there are so many little variables, just because the gun reads 90 once, doesn't mean that pitch was 90. Too many anomalies. Most will throw out that one high pitch as an anomalie. Now, if he bumps up there several times, then he has indeed 'touched"

I have seen 92-93 in HS age... I have seen 96 (Yordy Cabrerra)...let me assure you, it's completely different hahaha But I saw a 12th round draft pick Friday never break 82 and was all but unhittable. It's never gonna always be about velo.

Gonna use a gun early to get an average of the kids "A Pitches" (adrenaline pitches)... then see where he settles in. Usually velocity a little higher in inning 1 and 2 than in 4 and 5. The difference in how he settles in and pitchs is THE difference.

10. rhughes18

rhughes18 umpire

I don't know about best conference period

I didn't see any southwestern teams play this year, but they didn't fair to well in the playoffs.
    Out of 5 teams in the playoffs they had 3 teams knocked out in 1st the first round, 1 knocked out in the 2nd and the 5th team did make it to District or the third round.

You may want to check out a few Central Piedmont or Piedmont Triad games next year.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010