1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Recruiting New Umpires

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by nc2aump, May 19, 2009.

1. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

No one will say this, but there are some TB coaches and umpires who feel they already "know the game" and don't want to ever find out how much they REALLY don't know. So they won't attend camps or clinics.

Umpires are getting paid where TB coaches aren't. So I would hope those actually benefiting financially from the game would look to improve every chance they can.(most TB coaches actual lose money coaching, but money is in no way why we coach!) For the most part, TB umpires work hard and are fair, but the ones who are lazy and arrogant stand out every time.

2. nc2aump

nc2aump Full Access Member

Recruiting Umpires

I agree, but as I said, even though the officials are getting paid, the ultimate benfit for their training, is for the young ladies that are trying to play this game at the highest level possible, to try and impress those college coaches that come to see them. And I will be the first to admit that umpires can make a game unwatchable and this does affect the level of play on the field.

3. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

Very well said!

4. HIT-N-RUN

HIT-N-RUN Full Access Member

AMEN!

5. Hershey

Hershey Full Access Member

Speaking of umpiring, is it too late to get certified for travel ball umpiring? Who are the right people to get in contact with?? Thanks for any information that can be provided.

6. jjsphotos

jjsphotos Full Access Member

certified

how would you get certification and scheduled for travel ball. and even high/middle school.

i have done little league baseball but would be intrested in doing higher levels. and ive heard complaints about our hs officials from several teams.

7. nc2aump

Local Info

I will do what I can to get you the information on the different organizations and who is in charge of the training. if the interest grows, and enough want it, I will be holding a mini clinic for those who are new to officiating and those who have a few years. Later in the summer and fall, i will have more advanced camps that will run for three days. These camps will be structured to the people who are already doing High school and upper travel ball levels. One is tenatively scheduled at UNC-Chapel Hill in the fall and one will probably be held at UNC-Charlotte and one at possibly Virginia Tech or Radford University. Just send emails to [email protected], with "Umpire Training" in the subject line.

8. nctiger

nctiger Full Access Member

From what I have seen of the NCAA official so far, if any of them attended this training, they must have failed...

9. nc2aump

Umpires

If you would like to let me know when and where you viewed the umpire's that in your opinion failed, i will be more than happy to check into it and find out why they were so terrible. but just like in this forum, you can't control every comment that comes through, some college officials do slip through the cracks. But with the help of more knowledgeable people like yourself, that attend these games, we can push forward to raise their level too. I have a proven track record of success, when it relates to the training of officials. This is supported by number of different schools that I supply officials to, and also by Collegiate coaches like WndmillR, who have attended my training camps personally. And unlike the travel ball and High School organizations, we will find out who these are and we will weed them out.

10. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

NC ASA Booking Agents

B J Bryant- NCASA Umpire in Chief
    919-552-5244

Randy Nelson
    336-987-8325

Jamie Brown

828-442-5288

Bill Best
    910-470-1776