1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Rise Ball

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Pop44, May 27, 2006.

1. Pop44

Pop44 Full Access Member

I'm an old baseball guy, we never faced a riseball pitcher. What are the best thoughts on stance, position in box, type of swing, etc. to handle a good riseball? I'd say move up in box and handle like any good breaking ball pitchers, take some of the break out of it. Any thoughts?

2. cmmguy

cmmguy *

I have heard to move closer to the pitcher to give the ball less chance to break. But I am sure someone with more wisdom may think otherwise.

Why? are you going up against a strong rise ball soon???????

3. mountainball

mountainball Full Access Member

Really depends on your approach. I have seen coaches move their players to the back of the box and tell them not to swing at the riser if it starts out at the waist. I watched a game where a team did that and it frustrated the pitcher and caused them to gut several pitches. In turn, the batters teed off on the pitches.

4. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

Hitting the Rise Ball

Best advice...don't swing at it. The reality is the rise ball you guys saw last night is out of zone 80% of the time. Even when it is a strike most umps will not call the high strike. At least 80% of the risers your girls swung at were balls. You have to leave it up there. Girls have to go to bat committed to swing at NOTHING ABOVE THE WAIST. Moving up in the box will not work, in fact your really better off to get deeper in the box so you have more time to see it. Bottom line is you really can't hit a good riser but since its rarely a strike you really don't have to. Of course if your girls haven't seen this pitch much it will be hard to get them to layoff because they see is so well. In college ball the successful rise ball pitchers are rare unless they can throw the "low rise" . . . a very difficult pitch to master.

5. Pop44

Pop44 Full Access Member

Yeah, right in the middle of a game now that completes Monday night. Most say to get back in the box and leave it alone if above the waist. Ump was not calling high pitches, so maybe this will help. Thanks.

6. Pop44

Pop44 Full Access Member

Yes, how true. My DD has struck out three times all year and she wiffed three times in this one game. Good thoughts - we'll see if this helps, and if they can leave it alone.

7. cmmguy

cmmguy *

Thanks, that seems to be the consensus. Plus back in the box, not in the front as I had heard.

Can it be recognised only by it's movement or is it possible to watch ball rotation.

8. cfastpitch44

cfastpitch44 Full Access Member

If you get back in the box, the outside curve will kill you.

9. mountainball

mountainball Full Access Member

Truth be known, if the pitcher is any good at all, they will take advantage of any adjustment you make. You have to pick your poison.

10. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

Truth be known

In reality there are very few pitchers at any level who have the ability to throw rise, curve and drop balls consistently and accurately. If there were there would be a lot more Kat Osterman's and very few hits. The hitters job is to try to take away the pitcher's BEST PITCH. In D1 college ball most pitchers average only 5 to 6 strikeouts per seven innings. Pitchers averaging one K/inning or more are usually very successful.