1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Round 4 scores

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Boxman, May 26, 2005.

1. Nuff Ced

Nuff Ced Full Access Member

Only apply the rules at certain times? Only certain rules? I'm confused. Umpires should turn their head at certain times?

Rules are rules. Right?

2. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

TJ, I called college ball t the highest level (retired for 15 years)...So forgive me for being a rules guy. I was reacting to Coach May's (implied) suggestion that the requirement to run the bases be eliminated for home runs. That just can't happen in my mind. And if a kid has to run the bases, he should be required to touch them too. So I do not fault the ump who made the call, especially if Dusty missed 1st by a full foot (as stated in the paper).

Having said that, I now will show my schizo side. I have to give you this one & admit that I would not have made that call. It's similar to the vacinity rule at 2nd or the "ball's there...tag's down..." situation.

I was taught early on in basketball (which was my 1st love): "Don't make a call (even if it is right) that nobody really wants." South Meck didn't want to win this game on a technicality. So I'll go with you & say: Best call was "He caught the corner with the tip of his toe."

3. tj21

tj21 Moderator

UK7Dook3,,,, exactly, and thank you. Btw, I've umped also, and whether we want to admit it or not, yes there are simply calls you don't make as an ump.

NuffCed,,, yes rules are rules, but going 36mph is speeding in a 35mph zone too, isn't it? Do you wanna get pulled for that?

Officials simply must use common sense...

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  4. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

LUmberton 4 Conley 2

Any questions about Lumberton's pitching now? Their #3 shut Conley down on four hits. Lumberton scored all four runs in a six hit third inning explosion. I think the Pirates had only one other hit the rest of the game. The next game should be a jewel with Branch for Lumberton vs Edens for Conley. If Conley wins, then another marvelous matchup with Read for Lumberton vs White for Conley.

5. mincmi

mincmi Moderator

the best umpires are also the ones who use the BEST JUDGEMENT in pressure situations

TJ,

Do you not think that was going to be a tough call in a pressure situation for that ump? The runner clearly missed the bag right in front of the South Meck dugout. When the appeal was made, he had to call the runner out, taking the go ahead run off the board. You think that was an easy call to make at West Forsyth? The easy thing would have been to ingor the missed base and let the home run stand. But then what does he say to the opposing coach? Common sense told the ump that I've got to make this call to keep creditability. While you feel bad for Dusty, you can not blame the ump for this one. Try the first base coach who was slapping five with the kid instead of making sure his runner touched the base.

6. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Mincmi, I've stated what I would've done. I'm not going to argue about it.

If you agree with this call, I'll tell you like I told NuffCed, then you don't need to complain if a policeman ever pulls you for driving 36mph in a 35mph zone. There's several things the umpire could've done differently in this situation.

I'm not going to blame anyone for high-fiving or celebrating a homerun in the 4th round of the state playoffs. Sorry.

7. DodgerBlues

DodgerBlues Full Access Member

I'm with Coach May and TJ on this one. There are certain things in baseball you just don't do, and one of them is appealling a missed base on a home run hit out of the park. You just plain don't do that, period. Watch the major league umpires after a home run. THEY DON'T WATCH the baserunner. On a walk off, game ender, the umpire AND the opposing players are off the field before the home run hitter gets all the way around. On any other homerun, the plate umpire has tossed a new ball to the pitcher, dusted off the plate, and is ready to play on.

Touching the bases on an out-of-the-park homerun is a mere formality. I've got to say that I would rather not win than win on a call like that. I only hope that this is a call the umpire made on his own, and not one that was induced by a South Meck appeal.

I don't know what happened last night, but I thought in high school baseball that this is no longer an appeal play, that missing a base is to be a direct call by the umpire. If he didn't make the call on his own (which he shouldn't have), he should have stuck to his guns and not made it on the appeal. It is sort of like saying, yeah I saw it but I hoped you wouldn't say anything about it.

If the call was made after an appeal, I've got to say I admire the West Forsyth players and coaching staff on this one. To keep your composure and not let things get out of hand in that situation requires a lot. For most of us, the next South hitter would have needed a full set of armor.

8. Nuff Ced

Nuff Ced Full Access Member

Thanks for the insight TJ. Already paid that ticket.

If somebody doesn't perform within the prescribed regulations -- call it.

Hate it when umpires say to me, "hey, you're pitcher is balking, but I'm not calling it". Burn him on it -- he'll learn the lesson and maybe not do it again. Or if the game is lopsided and zones get bigger, or if a certain pitcher is good and the opponent is bad they've got different zones. It's all the same. Call it for what it is. If you miss first, you can be called out.

Respond how you will, obviously two different opinions. Carry on.

9. rjr4dad

rjr4dad Full Access Member

I really feel sorry for Dusty. However, I'll bet he never misses a base again when he hits another homerun!

10. tj21

tj21 Moderator

:thud:

....time to move on to something else.