1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Rowan County Legion

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by tj21, Apr 29, 2008.

1. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Forthelove,,, I agree, 2008 is the final year for college freshmen, and I'm glad too. While I believe the rule was intended to let kids play more ball, what its done has weeded out the younger players in which folks had to form Jr.Legion teams,,, which isn't a bad thing.

But I can remember when you had more 16 year olds playing legion,,,, but in recent years most of the good teams were predominately 18-19 year olds.

2. west boy

west boy Full Access Member

Yes it will be odd for Weston to be playing for South but that is the rule and Rowan definitely suffers from it sometimes because a lot of the players do go on and play for Catawba. I know he would probably rather be playing for Rowan but I think he wants to play most of all and know Gantt wants him to play.

3. tarheel

tarheel Junior Member

West Boy, Are you sure that Jake Koontz is playing for Rowan. Did he not play for Davie last year?

4. west boy

that is what I heard. I think he had to get release last year to play for Mocksville.

5. west boy

Well according to the Post, Koontz is playing for Mocksville.

6. MHS Lover

MHS Lover Member

Rowan Legion

My understanding is that Church was only released under the following condition: That Church would not pitch against Rowan County at any time

7. west boy

Whenever I found out that he was playing for South, I thought there might be some stipulations, but that just seems very suspect. I just don't know about that.

8. tj21

tj21 Moderator

The kid is playing for South simply because legion rules will not allow him to play for his college coach Gantt during the summer, period.

Heck, Weston would probably love to pitch against his Rowan buddies once or twice this summer, and I'm sure Gantt wouldn't mind seeing him pitch in big games too. Coach Gantt certainly didn't mind Blake Ketner returning to play his final season for Kannapolis, Coach Gantt gave Ketner his blessings even if it meant Gantt would have to face him.

Gantt's a class act and he's not going to stop any kid from playing baseball. Bout the only thing Gantt would probably raise an eyebrow about is if South coaches start letting Church throw a million pitches,,, but that won't happen, because South legion coaches are good coaches.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  9. west boy

I would have to agree, but last summer, Coach Wright did throw Walker Snow, and Rudy Brown all they could handle and then some more, so. Weston is a much better hitter and thrid or first baseman than he is pitcher even though he did pitch some for Catawba this year. Well just have to wait and see how it pans out. It should be an interesting year of legion baseball as usual.

10. west boy

Rowan opens season tonight!

The Rowan County American legion team opens their season tonight at Kernersville with a patch work lineup due to the fact that the East Rowan boys are still playing ball. I really don't know what to look for tonight or Saturday night. The older players such as Justin Mock, D.C. Cranford, Matt Hall, and the handful of players from West Rowan, North Rowan, and Salisbury are going to have to take the reins for now. I'm sure that some of the junior legion players may come up for a while to play. Rowan will still send a good team to K-ville and they will compete. :mdrmed: