1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Rowan Legion team disqualified (per Salisbury Post)

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by UK7Dook3, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

:agreed:

2. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Here is a new twist. It doesn't change my opinion that Rowan got the shaft. From today's Lexington Dispatch article:

http://www.the-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050630/NEWS/506300338/1003

League commissioner Bob Beeson said. "I don't think they had much to stand on with an appeal. I had heard this was not the only one on Rowan's team that was playing where he wasn't supposed to. But (Link) was the only one I found. It was one too many."

3. markinconcord

markinconcord Full Access Member

Something like this always happens

There is always some eligibility question and it seems nearly every year someone has a problem. I would bet money someone knew and was laying in wait for Rowan. They don't make too many friends.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  4. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

It really does'nt matter to me whether it was a Rowan parent or not. My point is that SOMEBODY made a calculated decision to stick it to a bunch of kids. Thats the reality of it. The reason why does not take the stink off of it for me. Whatever issues someone has with the Rowan team it is not fair to those players to make them pay for it.......again we are going on suppositon here.

I cant help but feel for those kids.

5. markinconcord

markinconcord Full Access Member

Some of the problems could be avoided

Perhaps they should certify the rosters and players earlier so this doesn't come up during the playoffs. But that would mean trimming down rosters earlier.

6. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

I dont think the certification should fall on the coaching staff at all.
    Once they are certified it doesnt matter if they get cut or not. They can still follow procedures to transfer up to the deadline.
    Thats where the Rowan coach has been known to hold players till its to late to transfer or not give a release at all.

I guess its all within the rules .

7. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Mark, the manager of the Post has to certify this before the season begins. The problem is that boundary lines are not clearly defined. I have carefully read the Legion rules & can say for a certainty that I am still confused.

Who would have thought that a kid attending West Rowan HS & living in Rowan County who had played all his life with Rowan teams would be ineligible?? And by 3 miles...3 MILES...to a team in another county for whom NO ONE from Rowan County had ever played!!! We are talking country miles, not city miles. How the heck do you figure that out??

8. MOOSE

MOOSE Full Access Member

Rowan situation

I agree this is a terrible terrible thing to happen to a great team of players and the whole community, but how hard is it to plop down a county map or several county maps and take out a ruler mark every players home and just measure the distance to the posts. Its just too important for this not to be done everywhere. Legion posts should have to submit a map with every players home marked and the surrounding posts marked and it would obvious who belonged where. Just don't see not checking and then getting mad at the cop when he busts your program. I think it is just unbelievable that posts don't do this check. I might be missing something but it does not seem that this part of the requirements would be that hard to comply with. I really hate it for all involved.

9. tools

tools Full Access Member

AMEN!

10. python

python It Happens

I noticed alot of sour grapes displayed by some Rowan people during games.They talked about the Rowan Legion coach, and even some of the kids on Rowan's team.