1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sacrafice Bunt?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cfastpitch44, Jun 22, 2004.

1. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

from what i could tell from your original post, i can't completely agree that the batter did what the coach asked him/her to do. the idea of a bunt with a runner on base it to advance that runner and that did not happen.

maybe you can tell me a little more about the play though. why did the fielder not throw to first base? and if he/she would have made a clean throw to first base, would the batter have been thrown out?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2004
  2. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Bottom line.......

although it isn t necessarily RIGHT!!!!!! It is a HIT period a hit!!!!!!!! :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

3. touchemall

touchemall Full Access Member

The batter bunted as a safety squeeze where the runner at third would score if the throw goes to first base. The throw would have been in plenty of time to get the batter out at first, however the fielder elected not to get an out in fear of giving up a run.

4. NOGA87

NOGA87 Full Access Member

many things to consider, like how many outs, what inning, what score, would the throw to first been in plenty of time if the fielder checked the runner at 3rd?

Either way i still think it should be a hit. It is counted a time at bat, and she definately should NOT be penalized for the situation she was in, and executing the play that was on, safely. No out was made, no error was made, no decision was made (by the fielder). But that's just my opinion. And we know what those are like. :xyzthumbs

5. law1ng2b2

law1ng2b2 Full Access Member

with a little more research, i found this definition of Indifference:

The act of a fielder letting a base runner advance without trying to stop him/her; recorded as a Fielder's Choice.

Again, without seeing the play i would have to say that the official scorer has the discretion of scoring this a Hit or a Fielder's Choice. If it were me, a couple of things would come into play on this decision. things like:

How hard was the bunt and where was it fielded?
    Could the fielder have 'looked back' the runner on third and made the play?
    How fast are the runners (both the hitter and the runner on 3rd)?
    Where was the runner on third when the ball was fielded?

Personally, i think a Hit should be earned not given. Maybe it was a Hit in this case, but i do not believe that just because there was no throw that it HAS to be a hit.

6. CanAmMan

CanAmMan Full Access Member

I can only tell you what I would score it. A FIELDER CHOICE!!!!!!!!!! since the fielder made no attempt make a throw to get her out. Can not be a Sac. because nobody advanced. What would you call it if the runner on third tried to score & was out. That is also a fielders choice.

THe only reason you would call it a hit would be to pad the batters avg. because a fielders choise counts as an at bat but not a hit. So if you score it a fielders choice then her batting avg. would go down.

If you would change all hits that were actually a FC then you would see a lot of girls batting averages go way down & nobody wants to see that.

This is the same as a stolen base that no throw is made. I do not think that if the catcher catches a pitch cleanly & elects not to throw for what ever reason then a stolen base shold not be given, BUT then you would see girls with a lot less stolen bases. I have seen many a girl be given a stolen base when they would have been out by 20 feet if the catcher would have thrown it.

The is my personal opinion & they way I score!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. iowa

iowa Full Access Member

Hit

It should be scored a hit. 1. There was no play on the runner. As the scorer you can never make an assumption. You can't assume they would have been out at first. you can't assume it was a sacrifice. As the scoreer you are neutral. FC must contain out. It may have been there choice to hang on to the ball, but it is still a hit. Cam I am glad you don't score for my team. If I chose to run on a change up and there is no throw because they could not have gotten my runner, it should be a stolen base. Just my 2 cents

8. CanAmMan

Iowa, let me give you an example of what I am talking about concerning the stolen base.

Say you have runners on 1st and 3rd. the runner on 1st goes to second trying to draw a throw & give the runner on third time to steal home. If the catcher does not make a throw then it should not be counted as a stolen base

Does anyone know what ROE is and have you ever gave anyone one of them instead of a hit. :laugh1: :huh:

The bad thing is people look to much at stats eventhough none of the stats are even close to being right :scared2:

I bet you are glad that I don't score for your team cause everyone probably would not have an average above .250 , LOL.

9. cfastpitch44

cfastpitch44 Full Access Member

Canam, How many girls have you seen not even be able to get a bunt down in a critical situation, miss two bunt attempts and then strike out, and your going to punish a good bunt with a fielders choice in which her coach calls for. I have saw alot of good defensive games won because of a good bunt or two, i personaly would give a hit everytime on the play,and would not call it padding and average. I would call it getting the job done for the team.

10. CanAmMan

I sure am. It is called team ball & doing what the coach wants. If no run is scored and no attempt is made to get the runner out then it is a fielders choice.

Here is one for ya. There is a runner on first and you hit the ball to 3rd. 3rd baseman throws to second (runner is out) and you are safe (throw or not) you are safe at first. That there is also a fielders choice.