1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Sc HotTimes Tournament ( not recommended )

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by martin62, Jul 14, 2014.

1. martin62

martin62 Junior Member

We attended this tournament with hopes that SC Bandit done there part an get collage coaches there. They were 56 teams @ $750.00 which is $42,000. Was suppose to be 5 pool games, which is 140 to umpire. Roughly $80 to 2 umpires per game(11,200 for all games ). Which leaves Around $30,800 for the Sc Bandits an Tiger River to keep between the two of them to spend . I only seen 5 small school coaches . Most of them with in a 2 hour drive . What I'm saying is I don't support the tournament if they are not going to spend the money to offer coach rooms or something to get them there . Why waste your uncommitted players time an parents money that offers nothing in return . In ask the SC Bandits what's up with the turn out of coaches an what did you do to get them there ? It a showcase tournament without coaches .

2. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

My first thought when I read this? Aren't most tournaments like that? Be honest!

Then I wondered how much effort was put into this choice by the players, parents, coaches, organization. Did they just decide to show up there? Did they have any particular schools in mind? Did they communicate with their schools of interest? Do they even have a school of interest? What does the player want to go to school to learn?

Don't make it a crap shoot! Communicate with your schools of interest! If you are interested in a particular school you have to let them know. They will come!

Coach Dobbins at Peace is a great example. If you're playing within distance he WILL come watch. And not just showcase ball. Don't believe the nonsense you hear about college coaches not being interested in HS ball. They are interested in the player—not the venue!

I would probably agree with you about the motivation behind most money tournaments but if you don't do your part it's kind of like drifting on the lake and fishing with no bait.

3. martin62

martin62 Junior Member

For our player it mandatory to email ten schools an make each one personal . Our coach has each email they send to ensure the players do there job. Our player also know the more the email that are sent the more of a chance to play .

4. martin62

martin62 Junior Member

Also my point the this was to ask does the tournament have any responsibility into advertising this tournament to schools. I know Watkinville GA. Has over 70 Coaches sign up for this weekend tournament . Do you think they sit back an do nothing to promote it to schools ?

5. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

I have to agree that, in essence, most tournaments are like this....the promise of coaches attending is most times not often met.....sometimes its timing, sometimes its off periods when they aren't allowed to attend and sometimes its just bs........but I've been around the SC Bandits organization for the last 15 years, and this is the tournament that funds their organization to cut down on the costs that their players incur. If Ken is still part of this organization, its still a class act, and I don't know if he's still involved, but I really think you need to address your complaints to the Bandits organization and not go any further about it on this forum.....

6. cheeze105

also, second thoughts here, in the not too distant past, they had a two year waiting list for this tournament.....just saying

7. coach88

coach88 Junior Member

Not only was this a bad tournament the umpires were horrible. Every team was complaining about the umpires. We had one instance where the girl made illegal pitch but she was only warned about it. Our players have been to camps emailed coaches done there part in the recruiting process and to go play there butts off just to not have hardly any coaches show up and get sorry umps that only care about making that money is inexcusable. Our team will not be back and heard a lot of other teams saying the same thing.

8. martin62

martin62 Junior Member

. My intent is not to Rip Ken , I dont know of him an that would be unfair . What I'm speaking about is only what I seen this past weekend . If this tournament used to fund his team that good for them . We know it cost a ton of money to travel state to state playing in tournaments . I was just hoping this was a free form to discuss the life of softball good or bad . The tourntment ran on time , was set up an ran perfect . No games was to eairly 9:00 am . This almost had the makings of a great tournment an still could be in the future.. I know nothing on what it takes to run a tournment or to get coaches to show up. I was just asking .But now I'm limited on what I can say . I won't say anymore about it .

9. cheeze105

its a pretty free forum for discussion, we only ask that you stay within the definition of good taste, and you have.....old saying: for every good ump that you have, there are 10 bad, and I've had them all in this last tournament.....bandits don't have an exclusive on bad umps......they are plentiful....sorry to hear that things didn't go to your satisfaction.....you're right, there are other tournaments to attend

10. swingaway

swingaway Full Access Member

Like saying a certain team had a national championship "bestowed upon them for a small fee". I'm confused on when negativity can be stated and when it can't. Maybe it depends on whether the person being talked about is popular with the masses.